Your international internship doesn't have to cost you a fortune. We promise!
Interning abroad is a great way to get experience, though some do find the cost hard to swallow (especially when you can intern in your home country for free - and possibly even get paid!). However, there are a number of scholarships and fellowships available for interning abroad that lessen the load, or in some cases cover all your costs.
The value of an international internship cannot be understated. Your internship experience will stand miles above that of someone who interns at home. You'll gain experience in a global workplace, get a deep look into another culture, and in many cases build on your language skills. (Even if you intern abroad in an English-speaking country, I bet you'll pick up some new lingo!) You, my friend, will be far more prepared to participate in the new world economy, an attractive asset for any employer looking to expand their team.
Take note, if you are not a student enrolled in a university, you may not be able to take advantage of some of these scholarships. If you aren't sure, it is worth inquiring as sometimes it isn't a requirement or exceptions can be made.
Read on for our comprehensive list of scholarships applicable to interning abroad!
If you know where you want to go, then take the time to look through scholarships that your country or region may provide. Often, countries will pay for you to come and work in their industries as a benefit for both you and them.
The key to getting the most out of your internship abroad is to research all your options and be aggressive when applying for scholarships.
If you know which program you want to go with, make an effort to look through their website to find the scholarships. The applications are usually not to difficult, and can be fun, like photographing your trip or keeping a blog to share your experience!
- CEA Global Education offers a variety of scholarships, ranging from $500 to $3,000, which would be eligible for use on their internship programs, available in Spain, England, Czech Republic and China.
- The Cultural Vistas Fellowship offers a full scholarship, including housing and airfare, for 12 U.S. students to intern abroad in Argentina, Germany or Singapore for the summer. They also offer scholarships for their other internship programs.
- The DiversityAbroad.com/CAPA scholarship is for $1,000 or $2,000 toward a study abroad or intern abroad program with CAPA, with preference given to disadvantaged and minority students.
After an internship abroad, you will be far more prepared to participate in the new world economy, an attractive asset for any employer looking to expand their team.
Though scholarships are well known, many people don't apply because they forget the deadline or think too many other people will apply. If you do your research though, the rewards will be extremely beneficial
- The Fulbright Fellowship funds placements as "special assistants" in foreign government ministries or institutions in Bangladesh, Burma, Cote d'Ivoire, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Haiti, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Nepal and Samoa. The catch? You must have your master's, JD or be pursuing your Ph.D.
- The Go Overseas Volunteer and Intern Abroad Scholarship offers $500 scholarships twice a year.
Keep in mind this is not a comprehensive list. If you are interning abroad with a program provider that typically does study abroad, you may be surprised to find you can apply for certain study abroad scholarships and use them for your internship abroad. And of course, if you are a student don't forget to check with your university! Colleges offer so many different scholarships based on different program providers, different majors, merit-based, demographics-based, need-based, and more. Exhaust all of your options when looking to lessen the financial burden of your internship abroad.
The key to getting the most out of your internship abroad is to research all your options and be aggressive when applying for scholarships (keep at it, even when it seems like none of the fish are taking your bait!).
Hey! Hey You! Traveler-Extraordinaire!
Have you recently returned from an awesome time studying, volunteering, interning, teaching, or taking a gap year abroad? We want to hear alllllllll about it. Help future travelers by leaving a review!
Photo Credits: 1,