Global Routes Gap Program in Costa Rica

By Global Routes   Review (1)   90% Rating

Global Routes offers two Costa Rica gap programs: a three-month semester program for gap year and college students and a unique 6-week summer gap program for students finishing 12th grade. Both programs offer volunteer teaching placements in a rural community in which you will stay with another member of your program.

While teaching provides the overarching framework for your volunteer experience, you also engage in additional projects such as community recycling programs, tree-planting initiatives, after-school sports programs, and much more!

In addition to your work in the community, you travel with your group on a number of adventures throughout this beautiful country, including an excursion to Panama where you will explore the unique marine reserve on Isla Coiba (new for 2015!). Visit the Global Routes website for more information, and start planning your gap year today!

View Program Information
  • Costa RicaSan José
Program Length:
1-3 months
3-6 months
$5,000 - $10,000 (USD)
Guest House
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Language Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Leave a Review
  • Blair
    Age: 19-24
    I live in San Rafael, CA. But I am currently studying abroad in Buenos Aires.
    Villanova University
    Enriching gap year experience!

My Global Routes experience was without a doubt the highlight of my gap year. During my 4 months in Costa Rica I lived in a small town outside of San Isidro with a family who I grew very close to throughout my time there; I even went back to visit the following year and I am still in very close communication with them. I spent my days teaching english at the local elementary school and I also gave some private english lessons to adults in the town who approached me about doing so. The program makes it impossible not to improve your spanish skills, because you are living with families who know very little spanish and you are fully immersed in their culture. I found myself dreaming in spanish after only a few weeks there. I couldn't have better things to say about this program and would highly recommend it to anyone who is really passionate about improving their spanish and having a truly memorable experience.

Was this review...?
    Useful: 2 Inspiring: 2

About the provider

Global Routes is a non-governmental organization committed to strengthening our global community through voluntary work overseas. To this end, we design meaningful and authentic programs for high school, gap year and college students, that bring people with different world views together through community service projects and teaching.