Green River College Gap Year Program

By Green River College Gap Year   Reviews (2)   95% Rating

The Green River College Gap Year program is designed to provide opportunities for self-discovery and career exploration. Individualized programs are crafted to met the needs of a student based on their dreams, aspirations, academic interests and level of English proficiency.
The program provides travel and study opportunities in California, Hawaii and Australia. Students live on campus at Green River and are able to participate in sports, recreation, performing arts and over 50 student organizations.
Take a year to find yourself through the Gap Year Program. There is no time like the present to experience different cultures, take enjoyable classes and make friends from all over the world.

View Program Information
Location:
  • United StatesSeattle
Program Length:
6-12 months
Cost:
See site for details.
Cost Description:

The Gap Year Program can be designed for 3,6 or 9 months. Cost depends upon length, location selected and housing.

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Jelle
    Age: 19-24
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    From Rainier to Olympic
    12/16/2015

To explore Washington, a friend and I, decided to rent a car and go on a adventure for the weekend. Our idea was to go to Mount Rainier, Olympic National Park and Shi Shi Beach. We left early in the morning on Saturday. We drove to the South side of Mount Rainier. On our way there we suddenly saw an elk, standing in the middle of the road. It was still dark but we could clearly see it. The size of the elk was absolutely enormous! After seeing the elk, we went to watch the sun rise at reflection lake. Harsh conditions and spectaculair views, that is the best description of that sunrise. We had breakfast and drove further towards the parking lot form where our hike would start. We parked the car and started walking towards camp Muir (located at 10.188 ft.) On our way we had spectaculair views of rugged mountains and glaciers. When we looked closer we saw more and more animals. I was able to photograph them from very close in their natural environment, that was such an amazing experience. After hiking for several hours, we decided to go back to the car. We wanted to get some sleep, because we had to get up even earlier the next day if we wanted to make it all the way to the west coast. The next morning we woke up at 4 am, trust me, terrible! We drove off towards Olympic National park. We made a morning hike, watching the sun rise and eating breakfast with a spectaculair view over the valley. Temperatures were rising so to cool off we 'climbed' down all the way to the river below us. We took off our clothes and had a swim in ice cold glacier water. We went back to the car and drove a little bit further to the lake which was known for having lots of salmon during that time of year. We walked into the river and had over a hundred salmon swimming around us. The water was so cold you could feel the pain in your bones, but it didn't matter. The view, the salmon, the whole experience was so amazing. It was already getting late so we decided to head toward Shi Shi beach. We drove through a Indian reserve, super special. After a two mile race agains the sun we arrived at the beach. We were absolutely speechless. It was one of the most rewarding and special sunsets. The only mistake we made was that we didn't think of out way back. It got dark really fast and we still had to hike back those 2 miles trough the woods with bears, snakes and other creepy animals. To make this even better, we only had one flashlight and that was wasn't even working properly. Nevertheless, after hiking for more than an hour we made it back to the car. We drove back home and came home early in the morning. The next day we had class, but we still thought about the amazing weekend we had! I'll never forget this weekend.

How could this program be improved?

As you guys say, no program is perfect. This one came pretty close to it. But if I really have to improve one thing it would be the 'extreme' sport activities. I was part of the extreme sport video and photography team. We often went out to amazing locations somewhere in Washington State or California. If we showed videos to friends they all thought it was amazing but nobody had the courage to go themselves. Maybe it there would be more organized trips, more students will explore nature and learn more about the U.S. than just Seattle and LA. The nature is so pure and raw, people should pay more attention to it.

Photos:
    Video:
    It's a short video about hiking several places in Washington state shot with a GoPro.
  • Kiki
    Age: 19-24
    Auburn, Washington
    The GAP-year changed my life
    12/15/2015

I came to Green River as a young inexperienced recent high school graduate. I didn't know what I wanted to do in life and found this a great opportunity to get to see a different side of the world and learn lots of English. I signed up for 6 months of studying abroad. The reason for me to choose Green River is because they told me that they took good care of their students and considering my age, I just turned 17 before I left, I really needed the bit of extra help.
    In my first quarter homesickness completely threw me off. I wasn't sure what I was doing and why I was doing it. Luckily, the staff took care of me really well and noticed within a few days that I wasn't doing well. They took me aside an made sure to listen to me and to help me the best they can. This was a true blessing. They helped me get involved on the campus community, and it didn't take long to make friends in the many different student life activities offered. I attended activities like Halloween parties, ice skating, hiking trips and many more!
    After about a quarter I realized that my time went by really quickly and thinking of leaving in another quarter made me really sad. So I decided to stay and get my Associates Degree. I found a job on campus, and got even more involved in the student life. My hard work in the campus community allowed me to apply for and receive a scholarship to help fund my education.
    Green River College has a lot to offer for the students who are willing to work hard and get involved. If you're open for a new opportunity, and want to meet people from literally all over the world, this would be a great place to go!
    This January I'll be visiting my friends in Sweden and Switzerland, and I never thought I could build friendships all over the globe.

How could this program be improved?

Green River College is pretty far from Green River by bus. It takes over an hour to go to the big city. In the beginning it would stop me from going there, which I found a shame looking back on it. Even though it is far from the city, I would really recommend students to still take the bus during the weekends and explore more of the beauty the Pacific Northwest offers.

Photos:
  • kiksaus
    Age: 18 or younger
    Auburn, Washington
    Green River Community College is great!
    11/15/2013

I came to GRCC in September 2012 for a gap-year. The different free orientation programs there are, like an overnight camp and a Seattle trip, gave me the opportunity to meet many different people from all over the world. The first 2 months were difficult because I had to get used to the new environment, and I missed home a lot. The staff really helped me to get to feel comfortable here. There are many activities organized by school where I joined in, like a Halloween party, a ski-trip and lots of other things. In February 2013 I decided that I want to get my Associate degree here. So from that moment I wasn't officially a GAP-year student anymore. The benefit of being a GAP-year student is that you don't have to worry too much about your classes but you can really enjoy your time here without too many worries. I can really recommend Green River Community College for a GAP-year because the people here are here for you in the good and bad times, and that's what makes this college really personal and different from most colleges. They are also very concerned about the safety of the students, so when it is dark, they have a van that drives till 1.5 miles away from school, totally free. :)

How could this program be improved?

Make really clear that hostfamilies can be far away from school, so that students are not dissapointed with the distance they have to travel each day.

About the provider