Teaching Nomad - Opportunities in China

By Teaching Nomad Reviewer Verified   Reviews (69)   98% Rating

Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in Asia & the Middle East. We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency operating out of Shanghai, China. We take a lot of pride in connecting dedicated teachers with great school all over the country. Teaching Nomad has programs for teachers of all experience levels including Professional educators, Experienced ESL instructors and Beginner teachers!

Contact us today to be connected with a dedicated placement consultant who can answer all your questions and find the perfect match for you. Our clients include International schools, Language training schools, Primary/ Middle/ High schools and kindergartens.

Each client has been thoroughly researched to ensure a great working and living experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you to China!

View Program Information
Location:
  • China
Length:
1 year+
Salary / Benefits:

CNY 8,000 - 25,000/month + Potential expat packages including: airfare, housing, insurance, meals and more!

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
    Houston, Texas
    Texas Tech University
    Wonderful experience!
    04/29/2016

China was not even on my list of places to teach abroad. I was determined to teach in Sweden, but once I realized that was next to impossible as a non EU citizen I got very depressed. My friend taught in China for 3 years and said she had a wonderful experience and told me to reach out to Teaching Nomad. I'm so very thankful I did! They responded right away and I was lucky to get the best placement consultant ever, Ila Afshar. She not only got me excited about the prospect of teaching in China, but made the whole process seem less scary. She was very knowledgeable. When I had questions on things that came up in one of my offers she went out of her way to get me several points of view from her and her colleagues' experiences to make sure I had all the information I needed. She was personable which was important to me. It gave her the ability to help me make decisions on options I was debating even though she hadn't met me in person. She always chose the option I was leaning towards myself, and it made me feel more confident that she agreed. She has offered to be there to answer questions even after the process of finding a position is done. I cannot say enough great things about her and about Teaching Nomad. I hope to be able to meet her one day and thank her in person!

How could this program be improved?

I didn't actually go through the certification program with TN. I just used a placement consultant.

• Finn
    China
    Not bad at all!
    04/26/2016

I was getting frustrated with looking for jobs online and then I found teaching nomad. The range of potential job opportunities is larger than I have seen elsewhere and they all seem very interesting.

My recruitment consultant was great throughout the whole experience. She always managed to make time for my many questions and she took a genuine interest in all stages of my application.

Would definitely recommend

• Brandon
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Bowling Green State University
    Speedy way to Shanghai
    04/25/2016

I found Teaching Nomad after doing several weeks of research about teaching abroad. I did not like the idea of applying through agencies due to a prior bad experience with a different recruiting company. After reading some wonderful review of Teaching Nomad, I decided to submit an application. Once I sent in an initial application, I was contacted very promptly by Oliver Gorman. I was open to where to teach in Asia, and Oliver quickly made me aware of the many benefits of Shanghai. With a Master's in Education, I did not want to go teach at just any school. Oliver was able to secure me multiple interviews with some of the top high schools in Shanghai. He was very supportive throughout the entire interview process. I started interviewing mid March, and was able to secure a position at a wonderful school by mid April. The process was very quick ( minus the multiple teaching interviews via skype with the actual schools). It is very reassuring to know you are going to work with a reputable company because top schools will not deal with mediocrity. Currently I am going through the visa process with my school and Oliver has been there to check in and help in anyway the entire time. I look forward to working with him in the future and would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone looking to teach overseas. If you are a quality teacher, they will find you a quality position at a good school.

• Lauren
    University of KwaZulu-Natal
    Great recruiting agency, very helpful and professional
    04/14/2016

Teaching nomad provides an excellent service. The process ran smoothly from beginning to end. My recruiter was Sophia. She was extremely helful and found me exactly what I was looking for. She followed up on my interview, start date and offered help if I needed it. There are many 'questionable' recruiting agencies around. I Would definitely recommend Sophia and teaching nomad. Was a pleasure to work with them.

• Thanos
    Manchester, UK
    University of Manchester
    The ideal platform for a beginner teacher
    03/31/2016

My experience with Nomad has been the smoothest job applications process I've ever had. I accepted a dream offer from just the first batch of suggested postings. Expect professionalism and clarity, give the same and it will happen for you. Don't worry if like me, you don't have teaching experience - there's something out there for you. Kudos and special thanks to Ila Afshar who handled my case and provided expertise and encouragement.

• Stephen
    Monash University
    Excellent, personalised and caring service
    03/24/2016

I had become very cynical about education recruiting agencies. Previously I had been sent job opportunities that were not suited to my particular requirements. Once I was introduced to Stephanie at Teaching Nomad I realised what a great benefit working with a real professional could be. A lot of time was taken to drill down on my skills and experience. We were able to have an honest and frank discussion about my career and salary objectives. Stephanie took time to find out my teaching style and philosophy. The end result was I was only presented opportunities that met my demands. I was not just put on a mailing list and thrown any old job that came along. The end result was I was able to find an exciting and rewarding position in China without stress or hassle. Correspondence was handled quickly and attentively. I now recommend the service to any quality teachers I know.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • John
    Detroit, Michigan
    Great job opportunities and a great staff
    03/23/2016

Teaching Nomad has been amazing. There are a lot of TEFL recruitment companies out there. When I first started "shopping around" for one, I found many that seemed untrustworthy. Teaching Nomad was not one of those. Ila at Teaching Nomad was amazing and very helpful. She was understanding and looked frequently to help me find a job I loved. Teaching Nomad does an interview with you initially to help find out more about the applicant, both their job wants and personality. They then look for jobs that suit your individual needs. I did not find that with any of the other companies I spoke with. Additionally, Teaching Nomad came to me with great positions. A lot of the other companies came to me with learning center jobs, which are fine if that is what you are looking for. However, I am coming from a high school in the United States and wanted to find a good school with good standards. Ila provided that for me. She checked in frequently, not just with more random jobs, but to see how I was doing and how the process was moving along. She also checked in with the schools I was interested in and interviewed with. The staff at Teaching Nomad are located in China, so Ila was able to give me some insight and opinions on what life is like in China from the perspective of a foreigner. I really could not be happier with Ila and Teaching Nomad. I would recommend them to anyone!

How could this program be improved?

I do not know how they could have been better for me. I will have to see how things hold up once I have completed the position they found for me. At this point, it seems pretty close to perfect.

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
  • Casey
    Shanghai, Shanghai, China
    University of Texas- Austin
    If you want to teach in Asia, Teaching Nomad is the solution.
    03/14/2016

Teaching Nomad was so helpful with my search for a teaching position in Asia! They were extremely friendly and very professional. The interview process was very straightforward and they gave me useful tips for my interviews with employers. I found a position effortlessly and it was because Teaching Nomad was there with me every step of the way. They helped from start to finish beginning with my TEFL certification and even helped me get oriented when I arrived in Asia. If you're looking for a teaching position in Asia and are lost as to where to start, definitely choose Teaching Nomad to help with the process!

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Josh
    University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
    Ila Afshar is your best bet for finding the perfect teaching opportunity
    03/03/2016

Ila has constantly been there to help with any and every question I had (and I had plenty). She walked me through step by step the entire visa and application process and even helped me to find an affordable TESL program. I would never have found this amazing opportunity if not for her help.

She is genuine and kind and you can tell that she cares about her clients. Teaching Nomad is an excellent company with very high standards. They are extremely selective in the schools they will work with, so you know you're not walking into a scam or a lousy job.

If you are looking to teach abroad in any location provided by Teaching Nomad, I implore you to contact them and ask for Ila Afshar. She can literally make your teaching abroad dream come true.

How could this program be improved?

Really nothing. I had no issues at all with the program. It turned out better than I expected.

• Courtney
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    University of Regina
    Confident and Professional
    03/01/2016

As a first timer leaving the country for a job rather than personal travel it was an easy process thanks to the help of Teaching Nomad. The staff from day one was beyond exceptional. The recruiter I worked with was always contacting me and quick to respond with any question I had for her. The process from accepting to receiving the actual contract is a bit long, however I never felt forgotten. My recruiter started helping me find locations for apartments based on her knowledge and my personality. It has been such an easy transition thanks to their expertise and professionalism. The people within Teaching Nomad want the absolute best for their candidates and will ensure their needs are met.

• Aimee
    San Marcos, California
    Teaching Nomad - Great Experience
    02/22/2016

My husband and I had the privilege of working with Ila from Teaching Nomad. I cannot begin to express the amount of peace and professionalism we experienced working with her! She was readily available to answer any doubts or hesitations and provide us with the best possible teaching positions to choose from. If you're looking to work with someone who will make you feel safe and goes the extra mile to find suitable job opportunities, I would definitely recommend Ila! :)

• Brittany
    Kenosha, wisconsin
    The Perfect Job Finders!
    02/04/2016

I was referred to Sophia by a friend and she was so helpful. I emailed her about wanting to get a teaching job in Shanghai and she responded right away and I was able to set up a Skype session with her to figure out what I was looking for. I had a previous offer from another school and wasn't sure if it was a fair offer. She assured me that I could find a better paying salary and one closer to where I wanted to live. She sent me everything I needed to do and then sent it over to the employers. Within a few days I had interviews set up and several offers that were higher than my first one! Teaching Nomad is fast and efficient and very knowledgable about where the best fit would be for you. I highly recommend going through them!

• Na'il
    NewYork, NewYork
    Morehouse College
    Teaching Nomad is Great!
    02/04/2016

Teaching Nomad was great! They take making you the best teacher you can be seriously. Very helpful with providing information on local things while your there, very helpful in helping you find housing as well once you arrive, and most of all helpful in helping you find a great teaching position with a competitive salary. Above all I really appreciate their dedication to making sure you take your position seriously and understand the lives you will be affecting as a teacher. Great motivational people that encourage raising the bar pass mediocrity. Definitely recommend to all who love teaching.

How could this program be improved?

A little clearer on directions during the TEFL course, besides that everything was great.

• Cheryl
    Taoyuan, Taiwan
    College of Charleston
    Placement in Taiwan
    02/02/2016

Oliver Gorman at Teaching Nomad was a great recruiter. He was very professional throughout the process and I was able to secure a job with my desired placement quickly and easily. With his help I felt prepared for my interview, and I knew he could answer any other questions I might have. The fact that Teaching Nomad only works with reputable schools is very reassuring. By going through Teaching Nomad I knew that the company I would be working for would be professional too.

How could this program be improved?

I wanted to go to Taiwan to teach, Teaching Nomad only listed one company they work with there. Broadening their reach within Taiwan so there are more job listings in that country would be helpful. However, I love my placement with HESS International in Taiwan.

• Holley
    Florida
    Extremely Helpful
    01/22/2016

I highly recommend Teaching Nomad and their recruiters; they were fully helpful throughout the entire process. They answered all of my questions in a timely manner, while I was taking the TEFL course and finding a school. They are very reliable and knowledgeable about all aspects of this experience. I also felt the majority of the course helped to prepare me immensely and I was able to take a lot away from it, to apply to my teaching position.

About the provider

The most important service that we provide is behind the scenes research of every school that we can find to identify those worth partnering with. There are 1000's of English schools in China, unfortunately not all of them are legitimate. We have contacted, spoke with and researched 100's of these schools and partnered only with those with a great reputation, great compensation and truly appreciate their teachers. Teaching Nomad has programs for teachers of all experience levels including Professional educators, Experienced ESL instructors and Beginner teachers!

Staff Interviews

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.