- Study Abroad
- Volunteer Abroad
- Teach Abroad
- Intern Abroad
- Gap Year
- Travel Resources
The Crazy, Calm, and Classy Places in London You Must Check Out
Published 04/27/2012 by Jenny Ground
London is filled with a diverse vibe that will fulfill your mood no matter what it is. The city offers something for everyone that will have people completely satisfied and feeling comfortable. However, the key is getting out and discovering those places that you can go to depending on the time you are looking for. They offer a variety of clubs, pubs, museums, parks, activities, tours, bars, and much more to fill up your day with to ensure that you experience the grand city in the right way without forcing yourself into the "partying mood" when all you really want to do is relax with a pint of cider. Below is a list of different places and activities you should check out while in London, also with a rating of crazy, calm, or classy depending on the vibe of the place or activity so you can detect where you want to go based on your mood.
- Veritgo 42 at Tower 42 (Classy): This is a bar at a top of a really high building that gives you an amazing view of the city! They suggest that you get a bottle of champagne and share it between a few people to make the night extra special. However, they fill up quick so you want to make sure to call ahead to make reservation to ensure that you get in.
- Brick Lane (Crazy or Calm): Depending on what you are looking to do on brick lane depicts the vibe you will get from the area. Whether you want to pop into a fine Indian food restaurant (which the street is filled with) or embrace the crowd in the outdoor and indoor market that offers a huge range of food and trinkets. It also has entertaining street performers. Best on Sunday's.
- Portabello Road Market (Crazy): This is another very popular outdoor market that runs for miles in between pastel colored buildings. It has everything from clothes, food, souvenirs, antiques, etc. And is very crowded with people trying to get the best bang for their buck. Best on Saturdays.
- Hyde Park (Calm): Hyde Park is a must visit park. This is one of the largest parks in London and is full of so much life, especially on a warm day. Whether you want to take a nice walk, bike ride through the park, or have a picnic and people watch the park is perfect for a calm afternoon. There are also places for afternoon tea in the park or paddle boats that you can rent for relatively cheap and loads of fun!
- Tate Modern (Calm): Personally this is one of my favorite museums in London. It is filled with modern contemporary art that are interesting to look at. It is nice to visit for a couple hours to get away from the craziness of the city and enjoy some peace and quite. In addition to the Tate Modern there are tons of other museums that are perfect for a relaxing afternoon also.
- Waxy O' Conors (Crazy/ Calm): A really fun pub is right off Piccadilly. It can get loud and crazy at night, but usually remains pretty calm during the afternoons. There is a huge tree in the middle of the pub and so many levels. It is easy to get lost, but exciting to adventure around and discover new areas.
- Tiger Tiger (Crazy): This club is really popular among tourist from all over. It is right off of Piccadilly and plays more mainstream music for dancing. It has multiple bars inside and different rooms to accommodate a lot of people.
- The Jack the Ripper Tour (Calm): If you're not looking to go out on the town for a night consider going back in time and doing this tour instead. Be lead through the different places that Jack the Ripper committed his murders by a tour guide who will intrigue you with the stories of the mystery man. Very interesting, but a little spooky!
- Roadhouse (Calm): Roadhouse is a restaurant and bar that still has that fun vibe, but doesn't get to crazy. On Wednesday nights they have a karaoke night, which always gets packed and is a guaranteed good time.
- Oxford Circus (Crazy): This is part of the city that has all the good shopping. It always seems to be insanely crowded, but that is part of the rush and excitement of it all. The area had tons of stores all different price ranges so there is something for everyone.
- Revolution Bar (Classy): These bars are placed all over London and offer a sleek and up scale atmosphere. They are perfect for grabbing a cocktail or two after dinner, or enjoying a night out with the girls.
Remember that there are different atmospheres for different moods or occasions, and it is up to you to discover the places that offer just what you are looking for! Make sure to check out some of these places if you are visiting London town and looking for a crazy, calm, or classy time.