Volunteer in Cambodia from US$470

By UBELONG   Reviews (35)   95% Rating

UBELONG offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Phnom Penh across many different fields: business development and microfinance, law and human rights, NGO support, caregiving, education, health, and women's empowerment.

• Affordable: Without compromising quality, the world's most affordable international volunteering opportunities.
  • Flexibility: Pick from 100+ projects across Africa, Asia and South America. Volunteer 1 week to 6 months. Start any week.
  • Support: Work one-on-one with a UBELONG Mentor throughout your volunteer experience.
  • Comfort: Housing and meals included, as well as 24/7 field support.
  • Network: UBELONG is based in Washington, DC, the capital of international volunteering.
  • Impact: UBELONG is a social venture led by international volunteers and university professors driven to make a real impact on local communities.
  • Trust: Every year, thousands of individuals of all ages and backgrounds, and from throughout the world, become UBELONG volunteers.

Simply, UBELONG is the world's premier short-term international volunteering program.

View Program Information
Cost:
$500 - $2,000 (USD)
See site for details.
Cost Description:

Without compromising safety or impact, UBELONG offers the world's most affordable 1-week to 6-month international volunteering opportunities.

Fees vary by location and placement duration. They start from US$150 for one week. Fees include:

-Airport pick-up

-Housing and meals

-24/7 in-country support

-Continual one-on-one mentorship from a UBELONG Mentor (including written materials and a phone/Skype Briefing Meeting)

-Peace of mind from joining the leading short-term international volunteering program, which is based in Washington, DC

-Networking opportunities through the powerful UBELONG community

*The UBELONG Campus Leaders program offers scholarships to university students. Contact us for more information.

Languages:

• Amy
    UK
    UBELONG Cambodia
    05/17/2015

I had an excellent experience with UBELONG, and felt well supported throughout my time in Cambodia. My work placement was locally managed meaning it was sustainable and had long term goals, which I felt I was able to contribute towards as part of a larger team. My living conditions were also excellent and I met amazing people who I still keep in touch with! Overall I had a great experience and would definitely recommend UBELONG

• Steven
    Madison, WI
    University of Wisconsin
    Review of UBELONG in Cambodia
    05/06/2015

Volunteering through UBELONG was a great experience. It was great of UBELONG to set up all of my accommodations in Phnom Penh from the moment I arrived from where I would be staying to where I would be volunteering. Not only was there someone at the airport to meet each of the volunteers, but our living situation was ideal. The volunteer house we stayed that was set up by UBELONG was another one of the highlights of my trip and allowed for me to instantly meet and connect with a diverse group of fellow volunteers from all around the world. Thank you UBELONG.

How could this program be improved?

Reduce the cost just a little, otherwise, nothing else!

• Abraham
    University of Virginia
    UBELONG Review
    05/05/2015

Why did you decide to become a UBELONG Volunteer?
    I decided to become a UBELONG Volunteer because I was looking for a way to make an impact abroad with my volunteer work. I wanted to make a tangible difference in the lives people whose country I visited. UBELONG stood out because instead of offering me a manufactured experience, UBELONG allowed me to shape my own experience abroad and make a visible change for the better.

What was your impact on your volunteer project?
    I worked to secure nationality papers and reduce statelessness among Cambodian minority groups. Through my time in the office and in the field, I helped my NGO work with three floating communities of over 200 people each. As each member of the community gained citizenship, they were able to buy land, access state healthcare, send their children to school, and have a chance at a better life. Knowing I had helped make that change was the most gratifying part of my experience.

What were your major challenges?
    My biggest challenge was the language barrier. Most of my target communities did not speak English, and many did not speak even Cambodia's national language of Khmer. Although my coworker helped me with translation, it was a significant hurdle.

In a sentence or less, how would you describe the locals you met?
    The locals were welcoming, warm, generous, and fun!

• Angela
    Seoul, South Korea
    University of Melbourne
    Not a one-off experience
    02/15/2015

UBELONG made me realize that any one of us can make a difference in whatever shape or form. Volunteers are supported at every stage of the process and are given the most practical advice and information. The team at UBELONG knows exactly what the volunteers are going through as they themselves have experience in overseas volunteering. The journey I experienced in Cambodia and the support I received from my mentor have been a smooth sail and needless to say, unforgettable. Thank you UBELONG for making my first overseas volunteering trip so lasting and meaningful. I am already planning for my next overseas volunteering trip at the end of this year and I know who I will look to for support for this upcoming trip.

• Nai
    New westminster , British Columbia
    University of Alberta
    Be grateful and be open minded
    02/11/2015

I learnt not to compare how things were done back at home and impose them to my volunteer project, as what works for us at home might not for the locals here. Instead, work with the local team to modify the method that is realistic and workable for them to sustain for long term.

• Nicholas
    Madison, Wisconsin
    University of Wisconsin
    UBELONG Volunteer in Cambodia
    02/11/2015

UBELONG was absolutely wonderful. Originally, I was a little apprehensive to be living in a new country where I would not know anyone. The UBELONG contacts took time to skype and go over any questions and concerns I had. They also emailed a very detailed preparation packet with a pre-departure checklist and advice for literally everything I could think of. The time and energy they put into preparing you is evident from the moment you become accepted to your program.

How could this program be improved?

I would have liked to have a few resources for learning a bit of the language before arriving in Cambodia. We received some resources a couple of days after arriving (which were very helpful).

Photos:
    People Improvement Organization - 1st Grade Class
  • Maria
    Italia
    UBELONG
    01/21/2015

UBELONG is a very serious and reliable organization. The preparation to the field and all the work behind make the volunteer experience very enriching and easily enjoyable. Being a UBELONG Volunteer made me more conscious of myself and of the work in the field.
    Thanks to international organizations as UBELONG, people have the opportunity to travel and to live unforgettable experiences looking for a common good.

• RobertEngberg
    Arizona
    Northern Arizona University
    A great experience
    01/20/2015

UBELONG is an organization committed to delivering the best experience possible for volunteers. Their program in Cambodia provides excellent food and accommodation. The local staff are quick to provide whatever support you might need during your stay. The volunteer house is large and there are always plenty of volunteers to befriend and explore the country with. I made a lot of great friends while I was there and that alone made this experience worth it.

• Elien
    Antwerp, Belgium
    English teaching in an orphanage in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    01/15/2015

Volunteering with UBELONG was a great experience. My mentor helped me a lot and also the communication went very fluently. This made me feel very comfortable.

I absolutely loved my work as a teacher in the orphanage in Phnom Penh. Although the children have so little, and the resources in the school are reduced to an absolute minimum, it was great working over there. You learn to be creative with the things you have and you realize that that works out fine. Also, these children were so grateful and they gave me so much love in return that I didn't want to leave. We had such an amazing time, singing songs, playing games and, at the same time, learning English. My last day we sang Christmas songs because they love Christmas. Everyone was so excited, it was amazing to watch them being so happy.

How could this program be improved?

The information about the projects given on the website should be more up to date

Photos:
    English teaching in Phnom Penh
    Fun during English class - Phnom Penh
    Fun during English class - Phnom Penh
  • Adena
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Professional and worthwhile program
    01/08/2015

My biggest concern in volunteering abroad was foreign logistics in the developing world. UBELONG takes care of that professionally and perfectly. For the (very reasonable) price I paid, I had my anxiety entirely assuaged. UBELONG walked me through every step of preparation with a personal mentor, organized transportation from the airport, arranged for me to live in their volunteer house in Phnom Penh, and set me up to volunteer at a local NGO. The living standards were above my expectations, and the vibe in the house was positive and fun. Being taken care of by professionals while you're somewhere so incredibly foreign is comforting, helpful, and now I believe, well worth the price. I would happily volunteer through UBELONG again.

• Jarusha
    Age: 31-50
    Clayton, CA
    Marymount Manhattan College
    Teaching English in Cambodia
    12/16/2014

UBELONG provided me with an experience I would not have gotten had I simply travelled as a tourist. By connecting me with a local team, I was able to see life from a local's view and work closely with the Cambodian people. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience full of hard truths, amazing people, and incredible stories.

How could this program be improved?

I believe the minimum 2 week commitment may be too short of a time to really adjust, settle in, and figure out how you can be of help. I wish there was some sort of set curriculum that could be followed by any volunteer so they could jump in at any time and know where the children were at in their learning. With so many volunteers coming through the school, I worry about how much progress is actually made.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Jeannie
    United Kingdom
    University of Liverpool
    UBELONG review
    11/10/2014

I was glad I chose to sign up with UBELONG for my first volunteering abroad project., because it gave me a good experience, both before and after the project. The information contained on the website helped to give a glimpse of what to expect in the project, along with the many reviews online which allowed me to be at ease and trust the organisation and placement I was going to have. What also helped was the enthusiasm of the team in introducing the project and offering help and advice prior to starting the project, even after the project. It was a valuable experience for me.

• Laura
    Age: 18 or younger
    Paris
    Université Paris IX Dauphine
    UBELONG allowed me to do a great, unique and safe travel by having an impact.
    11/10/2014

UBELONG is perfect to go abroad: it offers a lot of different opportunities and once you've decided to go with them, they attribute you a person who will follow you and help you to prepare your journey, who makes sure everything is going well when you are there and who keep in touch when you come back.

• Clémence
    Age: 18 or younger
    Lille, France
    Volunteering in Cambodia
    10/06/2014

So many beautiful encouters !
    Some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen ; a hike in the jungle ; a Khmer style photoshoot ; a welcome dinner with spiders, crickets and snakes ; an afternoon with elephants ; Khmer lessons with a tuktuk driver ; a natural shower at Angkor Wat temple (sweet rainy season...) ; a gymnastic session on the backyard's floor at the orphanage... And also looooots of laughter !
    This volunteering summer was probably the best summer I've ever spent !

How could this program be improved?

Maybe try to see with the placements where the need is, so that the volunteers could be better prepared at the begining of their programm. If I already knew before coming what I was exceped to do, I could have brought so many games and stuff from home !

• Tuomas
    Finland
    UBELONG Microfinance in Cambodia
    10/03/2014

UBELONG has an extensive range of programs around the world, and deservedly raving reviews. They understand local conditions and give full support before, during, and after the placement. I would definitely go with them again, and recommend their reliable and welcoming services to anyone thinking about volunteering.

How could this program be improved?

More detailed information on the actual project (like the history of organisation and information on its operation) would have been appreciated, so that learning could have started beforehand. However it is normal that the outflow of information from an organistaion in a developing country is patchy at best.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

UBELONG is the most affordable, professional and supportive international volunteering organization in the world.

Volunteer abroad in Africa, Asia and Latin America from 1 week to 6 months.

WHAT can you do?

For one week to six months, live in a community and volunteer on a community or environmental project.

WHERE can you go?
Asia: India, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos
Latin America: Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Peru
Africa: Ghana, Morocco

WHEN can you go?
Projects run year-round and you can join from one week to six months.

HOW much do you pay?
Costs start as low as US$350 for a 1 week placement.

Among other world-class services, you work 1 on 1 with a UBELONG Mentor and receive a Preparation Booklet, in-country orientation, housing, meals, project supervision and 24/7 support.