- Study Abroad
- Volunteer Abroad
- Teach Abroad
- Intern Abroad
- High School
- Gap Year
Join the YWF-Kido Foundation to make a difference in Grenada! Located at the Kido Ecological Research Station (KERS) in Carriacou Island, the organization is looking for Research Assistants/Volunteers to participate in the two projects: the Wider Caribbean Sea Turtle Conservation Network (WIDECAST) and the Sea Turtle Monitoring and Tagging Programme.
Volunteers will actively participate in:
1. Monitoring and data-collection of 2 critically endangered Sea Turtle Species, Leatherback and Hawksbill, nesting on 5 different beaches on the Island; helping to reduce illegal poaching activities of turtles and eggs. (From March to August)
2. Rescue-Tag-Release operations of Hawksbill, Loggerhead and Green Turtles found in coastal waters. (March, April)
- Night patrolling on foot in the North Park area, comprising 5 different beaches, from 8pm to 5am, 5 nights a week.
- Working with local guides, assisting with tagging post-nesting turtles, carapace measuring and other data collecting. e.g. nest marking, disguising nests against poaching activities, egg counting and mapping nest location
- Hatchling monitoring and survival-rate data collection (Nest excavation)
- Daytime beach survey by motorboat and kayak
- Domestic cleaning and cooking duties at Kido Station