Volunteer at the Flying Kites Children's Home and School, Kenya

By Flying Kites   Reviews (3)   90% Rating

The ambassadorship offers a diverse learning experience through advocacy, fundraising, and time living in Kenya. Participants are given the opportunity to help others, practice professionalism, cultivate an understanding of hardships Flying Kites and related organizations encounter, and play an important role in the groundbreaking process that provides care for impoverished children and increases the well-being of a community in Kenya.
In addition to fundraising and in-field experience, the Ambassador Program encourages continued advocacy and interaction with Flying Kites and issues facing Kenyans. Advocacy campaigns can range from speeches and presentations to auctions and film screenings all to support the work of Flying Kites and spread the word.

Program Info

See Additional Information
Age Group:
50+
Cost Description:

Flying Kites' staff helps ambassadors to reach fundraising goals before, during and after their program in Kenya. The fundraising goals may be high but are still manageable when the right motivation is applied.

Part of the money raised will cover the costs of hosting each ambassador during their stay in Kenya, including three meals per day, accommodation, and transportation from the airport. Volunteers are responsible for their own flights and travel expenses.

Languages:

Boston, MA
    Boston College
    Real impact, real family
    09/18/2012

Volunteering with Flying Kites gave me an opportunity to work and live alongside an extraordinary team of people absolutely dedicated to their work. They made me feel as I were a part of their family, and they made it clear to me how I impacted the children in their care, as well as the the overall organization.

I was able to work in their school, assisting their full time teachers, working with other volunteers to teach gym and art, and tutoring some of the hardest working kids I've ever met.

Though fundraising was hard for me, I loved being at FK and knowing I'd help fund nearly a full month of operating costs.

And I liked that they didn't hide the struggles from the volunteers; we saw the financial difficulty, the infrastructure breakdowns, and the outbursts of the kids (few and far between) and because of that inclusion, I walked away with a much deeper, and more real, understanding the of the difficulties of working in resource/infrastructure poor settings.

Do it. Join their team.

• FKLOVE!
    Boston, MA
    Read to be apart of an amazing, love-filled family?
    01/25/2012

Flying Kites expects a great deal from its ambassadors; They ask for hard work, endless compassion, high levels of energy, a deep & lasting commitment, but they do so for very, very good reason.

As an ambassador, you spend at least three months (they may let you get away with just under 3) living & working at Flying Kites Leadership Academy, a home for 26 orphaned children and a school for about double that. During that time, you become part of a part a vibrant, love & laughter-filled home and more importantly, you live as a part of their family. You will come to know and love the children so very well that it is only fair they ask for your deep commitment on all fronts.

I found the fundraising challenging but once I really dove into it, I learned a huge amount about my own skills and was blown away by what I accomplished when I appealed to my networks with genuine passion & creativity.

I found this experience amazing because not only was I able to create real impact in the area of my great passion- in my case education- but I ended my long days with a bedtime stories and goodnight hugs from the very kids who's futures we worked relentlessly each day, all day to brighten.

• Sam Horn
    Seattle, WA
    Life changing experience
    01/23/2012

I will never forget my time, experience and the family I was welcomed in to at Flying Kites. My daily routines involved tutoring children at the school for a couple hours, working on private projects for the kids, organization and home that I was passionate about and hanging out around the house, playing and taking in the heartwarming experience of being a part of such a special family. I also received tons of assistance when I ventured out into the surrounding regions of Kenya. The staff always went out of their way to make me feel safe and a part of their family. The relationships I forged with staff, children and volunteers will be with me forever and it's a place I hope to volunteer at regularly for the rest of my life.

About the provider

Flying Kites works to improve childcare standards and accessibility of opportunity for the poorest children in the world. As a non-profit organization, Flying Kites aims to provide the children opportunities to succeed in a fast-paced world and contribute to society through education, imagination, and resolution. They will be able to give back to their community by focusing on compassion, advocacy, and leadership.

Flying Kites emphasizes assisting children in need globally through the Ambassadors Program at the Flying Kites Leadership Academy, a home and school for neglected, abused, and orphaned children in Kenya. Located at the foot of the Aberdares Mountains, the academy has become a safe home for many vulnerable children.