Volunteer in Nepal with Love Volunteers - From just US$195!

Join Love Volunteers for the volunteer experience of a lifetime in Nepal! Love Volunteers partners with local NGOs to best help the Nepalese people. Despite living in one of the poorest Asian countries, the Nepalese are a warm and welcoming culture. Love Volunteers accepts volunteers of all kinds year-round.

With seven different volunteer projects to choose from, Love Volunteers makes a difference in every aspect of life in Nepal. Volunteer options include: medical/health care programs, agriculture and environmental programs, disabled care programs, teaching programs in monasteries, schools, and orphanages. Visit the Love Volunteers website to learn more!

Current Love Volunteers Programs in Nepal:

• Working with Children
  • Teaching Program
  • Medical and Health Programs

Don't just be a volunteer...join us in Nepal and be a LOVE VOLUNTEER!

Program Info

18-22
22-35
50+
Cost Description:

Love Volunteers registration fee, plus program fees starting at just US$195 for one week.
Program fees cover airport pickup, orientation, accommodation, and food (see website for specific program details).
The Love Volunteers registration fee covers any placements you undertake for twelve months from the start of your first placement.
This fee is refundable if you choose not to volunteer more than three months prior to the start of your initial placement.

Languages:
Housing:
Home-stay
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Adam Ward
    Age: 25-30
    Uk
    Massey University
    Worthwhile project with genuine people
    01/26/2015

I spent two months working as a maths teacher at the local partner school in Bhaktapur, Kathmandu. First of all, the people there ( Keshab, Manojs and Mahesh) are very genuine, very caring people and they are doing a fantastic job with regards to running the school. There are not enough teachers at the school to run all the classes all the time, so this means that there is a real opportunity for you to help out.

The children at the school are very intelligent on the whole, and whilst they can be quite boystrous (like all children) it would be hard not find yourself getting attached to them during your stay.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 1
  • Ellen Hart
    Nashville, TN
    Vanderbilt University
    Nepal was great! But falsely advertised.
    10/14/2014

I really enjoyed my experience teaching English in Nepal. The Nepalese coordinators were wonderful and went out of their way to make the experience positive. They helped me to plan sightseeing activities and trips and were very interested in showing me the culture. I had a high level of autonomy, as I road public transportation by myself every day and planned by own free time, but I also experienced a high level of support from the staff. However, Love Volunteers did not paint a clear picture of what I was to expect. They told me that I would be living in a host family, which I found out upon arriving in Nepal was not an option. I would highly recommend the the program with which you work in Nepal as a safe and fulfilling organization; however, the communication between Love and the local program is lacking.

How could this program be improved?

Love Volunteers needs to solicit more current information from the NGOs it represents. There is too much false advertising on the website and when talking with Kelly and the team.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Claire
    Montreal, QC
    McGill University
    Safe and rewarding
    07/09/2013

Go for it! I spent a month in an orphanage and one month in a monastery, both times teaching english. I was provided with food and although the sanitary conditions were not perfect, i don't think it could have been better, considering the 8 hours of power-outage that the country experiences every day...
    And the fact that you are with a local NGO (Love Volunteers links you to them) reduces the cost very significantly. That's a plus, if you're a broke student like me!

How could this program be improved?

I wish I had more directions. It was my first time volunteering abroad and I had to make a lot of decisions on my own, which was very challenging but also quite rewarding!

Useful: 8 Inspiring: 0
  • NZ nurse
    Adelaide, Australia
    University of Otago
    Fantastic Experience
    05/04/2012

I had a wonderful time while volunteering in Nepal for 4 weeks. I was involved in the medical program while I was there. The local team was very supportive, knowlegable and helpful in adjusting to day to day life in Nepal. However, the hospital that I was placed in was very quiet while I was there and there felt like was no real need for me to volunteer there. Due to this I was placed at a different hospital which was slightly busier.

The local team was very passionate about what they want to achieve in Nepal with the schools and orphanages that they support and the health clinic that they want to set up.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • Seraphinarose
    Baltimore
    Johns Hopkins University
    Friendliest staff in a beautiful city!
    05/01/2012

I was in Kathmandu for two weeks with LoveVolunteers and absolutely loved the experience. The local staff was very welcoming and friendly and taught us about everything we wanted to know about Nepal. The doctors that I worked with in Nepal were extremely dedicated and taught us a lot about the healthcare system. I encourage everyone to take a look at the program!

• Canadian_Nurse_450
    Calgary, Alberta
    Choose Carefully :)
    05/01/2012

My experience in Nepal was overall very moving. I learnt a lot about the people, the culture, and most of all about myself. The program I choose to volunteer in was the medical aid program as I am in nursing back home. Looking back I wish I would have volunteered at the schools or orphanages. I say this because the hospital we were placed in to volunteer was private and there would be days when there would not even be one patient to help. I found that while we got to see a lot of the kathmandu tourist attractions, meet other Love Volunteers volunteers, and learn about the Nepali History, it ultimately felt as though we made not impact on the community through our volunteer placement. Next time I would either ensure that I am going to be placed in an area that truly needs my help. I would DEFINITELY recommend the Love Volunteers as an NGO to volunteer with as they are kind and helpful, but all I would say is choose your program carefully and if you do happen to be placed somewhere where you feel you are making no difference then say something! :)

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • Lauren Taylor
    Age: 25-30
    Canmore, Alberta, Canada
    Love Volunteers changed my life!
    05/01/2012

I had the most amazing experience working with Love volunteers and their local partner. The team was extremely helpful, welcoming, and fun to be around. I found they were extremely well educated on the education system in Nepal, as well as extremely concerned and carrying for orphans, and very interested an determined to start medical clinic work. I felt very confident that these three see first hand what under privileged Nepalis truly need.

I worked with 7 orphaned boys between 12-16 years old. Before I arrived I was scared of being completely heartbroken and sad for their situation. I was pleasantly surprised but how happy, energetic, loving and proud these boys were. The local team has provided them with everything they need to live a happy healthy life. Even though they don't have an abundance of toys, video games, computes or any other western entertainment, they have bigger smiles, stronger laughs and so much love to give. I would never want to see them in any other situation.

We lived with the host family Love Volunteers is partnered with. They welcomed us in and made us feel like part of the family. We had so much fun with their two little girls, and the meals were amazing!!!

As for struggles, we didn't find to many. We did walk to the house in the dark, but unfortunately you cannot tell the sun when to set, that was the only real struggle, making sure you didn't trip into a puddle or something worse.
    The cost of the program was very affordable, I had such a great time I felt like I should have payed more for the life changing experience. I have already recommended Love volunteers to all of my friends and clients hoping they can have the same amazing experience!

• littlegrommet
    Age: 31-50
    bridgetown western australia
    Fantastic Experience
    10/25/2011

I chose this program from the internet, and didn't quite know what to expect. I found a wonderful group of people, who go out of their way to make you feel like a part of the family and workforce. nothing was to much, and always eager to suggest places to see, answer any questions, or to help if having any issues.
    An average day would be start at 0800, attend the daily staff meeting, and get allocated your job for the day. Which could include cleaning enclosures, assisting with feeds, collecting natural plants for some of the animals. Spend time with hand reared animals, socializing them with other animals. You learnt to be flexible with what you did, if an injured animal or on a rescue came in, you got to assist with their care. you also had the option of assisting with the care of any sick animals (I got to help with a sick baboon, who ended up sleeping with me, i say sleeping when maybe i should say sharing a bed with me!)
    I also got to spend time with a pair of black back jackals, The aim was to get them more comfortable with the presents of people, so we could treat them for tics etc easier.
    I had such a great time there i am planning to head back at the end of the year to see all the animals and people, and i can't wait

Alumni Interviews

• Why did you decide to volunteer with Love Volunteers in Nepal?

Lauren: I decided to volunteer abroad with Love Volunteers in Nepal after doing a huge amount of online research. I had always wanted to volunteer abroad, and was especially interested in Nepal. After looking at countless websites of organizations that charged thousands of dollars for fancy accommodation's and meals, with minimal volunteer work, I really wanted to look for someone a little smaller.

I randomly stumbled upon the Love Volunteers website and was immediately intrigued by the array of different programs, affordability, and the fact that they seem very personable and actually interested in helping communities that actually need it.

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Lauren: We stayed with a delightful host family that would wake us up with tea and Nepali treats. After getting organized and enjoying a delicious breakfast with the family we would venture down the the hostel that the Nepal Volunteers Council worked out of. We'd catch up with the other volunteers and they three guys that ran the organization.

classroom in Nepal
    Lauren volunteered in Nepal with Love Volunteers

We didn't start work until 4 pm so we would then venture into Kathmandu with a couple other volunteers and really experience the city, with great recommendations from Keshab and the boys. When we got back at 4 we would go to the orphanage just in time to watch the 7 boys finish their soccer game. We would then gather in their house and plan the evenings activities. The boys were very well educated, and very curious about Canada and our lives back home. We would play trivia with them, practice spelling, showed them a few Canadian games, and they showed us Nepali games. We would literally sing and dance the night away some times. After we left them we would return to the host family for a delicious dinner of dal bhat, followed by socializing and games in the family room.

What made this volunteer experience unique and special?

Lauren: I found this volunteer experience to be unique in the way that we truly got to experience life in Nepal, and see what sort of help is really needed there. Love Volunteers placed us with the Nepal Volunteers Council that was run by an ex school principal, Kashab Acharya, who was very well educated on the school system in Nepal, and everything it branches out too. (Underprivileged children don't get the same education, typically orphans, who also need proper health care.) He has set out and covered all of those fields. It felt good working with someone who see's everyday what needs to be done in Nepal. Not from an office in North America. I was so happy to be placed with a local family as well, instead of a hotel. It was so interesting to see how regular Nepali people live they're life, and all of their cultural traditions.

How has this experience helped you grow personally and professionally?

Lauren: This experience has impacted my future in so many ways. I do plan on returning and working with this group again. My eyes were opened in so many ways. It was an obvious shock being in a third world asian country for the first time, but once we started working, and realizing things aren't much different (same same but different as they say there.) The boys we worked with were incredibly happy, healthy and so smart. They don't have much, as they really don't NEED much. It was so nice to see how just being in each others company made them light up. No video games necessary! I wish everyone could experience something like this at least once in their life. My eyes, heart and mind have been completely opened since this experience.

About the provider

We are just a handful of passionate people working hard to help volunteers and local communities around the world. We don't have huge overheads - no company cars, no downtown office - we're just volunteers who thought we could do a better job. We work with local organisations wherever we can to keep administration costs to a minimum and also to return as much money and skills to the local communities where we operate. We can offer the lowest possible fees, but also ensure that you are immersed in the local culture and are actually making a difference!