Affordable Volunteer Programs in Peru - Lima

By IVHQ Reviewer Verified   Reviews (7)   97% Rating

IVHQ offers highly affordable volunteer programs in Lima, Peru. A wide variety of projects are available, including teaching, childcare and medical work. Depending on placement, volunteers stay either with a host family or at a volunteer house.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Lima:

• Teaching English: Fill the high demand for English teachers by volunteering to teach English in Lima.
  • Childcare Work/Special Needs: There is a significant need for volunteers at orphanages and community centers in Lima.
  • Medical: Volunteers provide healthcare services to under-served communities. Some experience is required to participate in this program.
  • Construction/Renovation: Help build homes for underprivileged families, or repair flooring, roofing, and plumbing. Work could also include gardening, painting, or making improvements to community buildings.
  • Volunteer anywhere from 1 to 24 weeks
  • Programs in Peru start on the 1st and 15th of each month
  • IVHQ's program fees in Peru are extremely affordable, starting at just $180/wk
  • Volunteers will either stay with a host-family or a volunteer house depending on placement.
  • Learn more about IVHQ programs by reading the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their incredible experiences in Peru
View Program Information
Home-stay
Volunteer House
Application:
Age Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Emma
    Age: 19-24
    Yorkshire, England
    Trip of a lifetime !!
    12/21/2015

Lima Peru was my first volunteering experience abroad and I can't express how much this experience has impacted me. Whilst in Peru I had the pleasure of working with the children at the orphanage. At first I felt a little overwhelmed but the staff and the other volunteers soon made me feel much at ease, and seeing the children smile made me feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity to work with them. I assisted in phycology, where we arranged activities for the children. Despite the language barrier (which was soon broken) over the course of the two weeks I was able to see the progression that I had made with the children. Peru soon became my home away from home thanks to the other volunteers and the staff. The other volunteers were like my family, and I take comfort in knowing that I have made friends from all Corners of the earth. There's many things to do in Peru, whilst there myself and other volunteers took a trip to Haucachina ,a great weekend sandboarding. My time in Peru helped me step out of my comfort zone, meet new people and help make a difference. I've learnt so much more than what I thought possible, coming away with great gratitude. If you are hesitant about volunteering, just do it! It's true what they say, it really does change your life.

How could this program be improved?

The programme was great, the only thing I would say is to do the orientation as soon as people get to the house as for me having the weekend before orientation i figured out most of what we had to do from other volunteers.

Haucachina !
    Surfing
    Griner❤️
    Useful 2 Inspiring 2
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Emma, It's great to hear from you. We are glad that your experience in Peru was such a positive one. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Jenna
    Perfect break from your routine to leave a positive impact
    12/04/2015

What an experience! Not only were we able to help children with disabilities but we were also able to really travel around Lima and experience Peru's local culture. I would never had imagined myself on a Peruvian local bus headed to an orphanage with 10 people I had met only two days ago yet felt like we have been friends for a long time. The experience you get with IVHQ is unique and the people you meet in the program will inspire you for a lifetime.

How could this program be improved?

I would recommend this program to lay out an "agenda" for the week for each volunteer so everyone has a clear idea of the tasks being asked of them during the week and they can plan their trips to various areas of Peru accordingly.

Weekend Trip to Machu Picchu
    Volunteered at a halfway house in the afternoon. Created an art project for the young women
    Taking a break from volunteering to enjoy Lima and spend some quality time with the other volunteers
    Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/25/2016

Hi Jenna, Thanks for sharing your feedback and photos. It sounds like you had a really memorable experience in Lima which we love hearing. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Morgan
    Age: 18 or younger
    Port Hope, Ontario Canada
    Lima Discovered
    11/30/2015

I knew when I signed up to volunteer in Lima that I would be helping people but what I didn't know was how wonderful it would be for me! I loved volunteering and making a contribution to a community. However the people I met in Lima changed me completely. The environment that we lived in, everyone being in the house together was so rewarding. I can't not believe how close I got with the other volunteers over the course of only 2 weeks. We did absolutely everything together and enjoyed it, I never wanted to be alone in that house. I also never felt alone. The people I was with were so incredible that whenever someone was leaving the house we played a game. Everyone had to think of one word to describe that person and the person leaving had a word for everyone else as well. Well when it was my turn I don't think I was mentally prepared for how incredible these other volunteers were. The things they had to say about me touched my heart so much I don't think I could ever forget them. I have never been in a room full of that many people crying out of happiness. I will never forget my experience with IVHQ in Lima but I will especially never forget how wonderful the other volunteers made me feel. Lima and that household will always have my heart. I would recommend any Ivhq program to anybody and I would go on another program in a heart beat. Thank you Ivhq for the best memories of my life.

How could this program be improved?

The only complaint that I have is that the person that was suppose to pick me up at the airport was actually upstairs with another volunteer they had picked up. I was terrified when I arrived at the airport with no one to pick me up. I hadn't volunteered with Ivhq or known anyone that had. Being 18 and traveling alone for the first time was already scary but having no one to pick me up at the airport was even scarier.

Photos:
    Another day of construction in Lima!
    A weekend trip on my time off in Lima!
    Useful 0 Inspiring 0
  • AlexaHart
    Los Angeles, California
    Had a great time in 2009
    12/02/2012

I found IVHQ online a few years ago when I quit my job in 2009 and wanted to volunteer in Peru. The application process was pretty straight-forward, and the value for the money was pretty good.

The biggest con was that IVHQ didn't inform me that they weren't the volunteer program. They were just the intermediary between me and the volunteer program. Once I arrived in Peru, IVHQ was no longer involved. The Peruvian program affiliated with IVHQ (Maximo Nivel) was who I volunteered with. It's possible they cleared up the confusion between IVHQ and Maximo Nivel since I've been there.

The volunteer work was really fun and rewarding. I helped paint a battered women's shelter for 3-4 weeks. It got a little repetitive over time, so I changed projects to help take care of kids at a daycare in a rural community for 3-4 weeks after that.

I stayed in a volunteer house for accommodation and really liked it. The food was great, and staying in the house was a good way to connect with fellow volunteers. For three meals a day and good accommodation, the price was decent.

Overall, my experience was positive, and I'd recommend IVHQ.

How could this program be improved?

I would have liked for IVHQ to give me more info on the volunteer program in Peru before I arrived.

Useful 9 Inspiring 2
  • TanyaElizabeth
    Montreal, Canada
    McGill University
    Opportunity of a Lifetime
    03/23/2012

Volunteering in Peru is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It very rewarding and IVHQ has several volunteer opportunities to choose from in Peru depending on your strengths and interests...you can even do more than one to try different experiences! They also offer Spanish lessons at a reasonable price which was fun and useful. I was able to make lifelong friendships with other volunteers and had the chance to live with a Peruvian family while there, which I would definitely recommend to really immerse yourself in the culture. I would definitely recommend using IVHQ, they are a great organization.

Useful 4 Inspiring 0
  • Chris
    Edmonton, Alberta
    University of British Columbia
    Great experience volunteering abroad for first time!
    03/22/2012

I thought the program was organized very well with the staff helping with pre-trip preparation and helping volunteers get accustomed to the city and new culture. My favourite volunteering activity was teaching English and it was rewarding to see so many enthusiastic students willing to learn. The volunteering program is flexible so you can change positions if you choose to do so at the site. Plenty of time to socialize with other volunteers and time to travel to heritage sites. It was a safe experience and the homestay food was great!

Useful 5 Inspiring 2
  • Kristine
    Age: 19-24
    Philadelphia
    Eastern University
    LOVEEE
    03/06/2012

I spent 22 weeks in Peru as a volunteer. Each day had a variety of different experiences. I volunteered in two different orphanages, where I worked with special needs children, toddlers, and older girls. I was able to run activities with the girls and chase the toddlers all in the same day. I taught English in a public school and summer program. Each day was filled with laughter, joy, and love. I never woke up wishing I was elsewhere or wanting to have a day off. Days off from volunteering, were days I longed for my kids at the orphanages or schools. I can honestly say that it was the best weeks of my life. Do it!

Useful 6 Inspiring 1

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 32 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Bali, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Fiji, Romania, Italy, Spain and Portugal!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.