Affordable Volunteer Programs in Peru - Lima from $180

By IVHQ   Reviews (5)   96% Rating

IVHQ offers highly affordable volunteer programs in Lima, Peru. A wide variety of projects are available, including teaching, childcare and medical work. Depending on placement, volunteers stay either with a host family or at a volunteer house.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Lima:

• Teaching English: Fill the high demand for English teachers by volunteering to teach English in Lima.
  • Childcare Work/Special Needs: There is a significant need for volunteers at orphanages and community centers in Lima.
  • Medical: Volunteers provide healthcare services to under-served communities. Some experience is required to participate in this program.
  • Construction/Renovation: Help build homes for underprivileged families, or repair flooring, roofing, and plumbing. Work could also include gardening, painting, or making improvements to community buildings.

• Volunteer anywhere from 1 to 24 weeks
  • Programs in Peru start on the 1st and 15th of each month
  • IVHQ's program fees in Peru are extremely affordable, starting at just $180/wk
  • Volunteers will either stay with a host-family or a volunteer house depending on placement.
  • Learn more about IVHQ programs by reading the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their incredible experiences in Peru

Program Info

• AlexaHart
    Los Angeles, California
    Had a great time in 2009
    12/02/2012

I found IVHQ online a few years ago when I quit my job in 2009 and wanted to volunteer in Peru. The application process was pretty straight-forward, and the value for the money was pretty good.

The biggest con was that IVHQ didn't inform me that they weren't the volunteer program. They were just the intermediary between me and the volunteer program. Once I arrived in Peru, IVHQ was no longer involved. The Peruvian program affiliated with IVHQ (Maximo Nivel) was who I volunteered with. It's possible they cleared up the confusion between IVHQ and Maximo Nivel since I've been there.

The volunteer work was really fun and rewarding. I helped paint a battered women's shelter for 3-4 weeks. It got a little repetitive over time, so I changed projects to help take care of kids at a daycare in a rural community for 3-4 weeks after that.

I stayed in a volunteer house for accommodation and really liked it. The food was great, and staying in the house was a good way to connect with fellow volunteers. For three meals a day and good accommodation, the price was decent.

Overall, my experience was positive, and I'd recommend IVHQ.

How could this program be improved?

I would have liked for IVHQ to give me more info on the volunteer program in Peru before I arrived.

Useful: 8 Inspiring: 2
  • TanyaElizabeth
    Montreal, Canada
    McGill University
    Opportunity of a Lifetime
    03/23/2012

Volunteering in Peru is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It very rewarding and IVHQ has several volunteer opportunities to choose from in Peru depending on your strengths and interests...you can even do more than one to try different experiences! They also offer Spanish lessons at a reasonable price which was fun and useful. I was able to make lifelong friendships with other volunteers and had the chance to live with a Peruvian family while there, which I would definitely recommend to really immerse yourself in the culture. I would definitely recommend using IVHQ, they are a great organization.

Useful: 4 Inspiring: 0
  • Chris P
    Edmonton, Alberta
    University of British Columbia
    Great experience volunteering abroad for first time!
    03/22/2012

I thought the program was organized very well with the staff helping with pre-trip preparation and helping volunteers get accustomed to the city and new culture. My favourite volunteering activity was teaching English and it was rewarding to see so many enthusiastic students willing to learn. The volunteering program is flexible so you can change positions if you choose to do so at the site. Plenty of time to socialize with other volunteers and time to travel to heritage sites. It was a safe experience and the homestay food was great!

Useful: 5 Inspiring: 2
  • Kristine
    Age: 19-24
    Philadelphia
    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
    LOVEEE
    03/06/2012

I spent 22 weeks in Peru as a volunteer. Each day had a variety of different experiences. I volunteered in two different orphanages, where I worked with special needs children, toddlers, and older girls. I was able to run activities with the girls and chase the toddlers all in the same day. I taught English in a public school and summer program. Each day was filled with laughter, joy, and love. I never woke up wishing I was elsewhere or wanting to have a day off. Days off from volunteering, were days I longed for my kids at the orphanages or schools. I can honestly say that it was the best weeks of my life. Do it!

Useful: 5 Inspiring: 1

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Romania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.