Volunteer Abroad in Peru with Volunteering Solutions

By Volunteering Solutions Reviewer Verified   Reviews (7)   99% Rating

Join a volunteer program in Cusco, Peru with Volunteering Solutions! Volunteering in Peru is a great opportunity to learn about this amazing culture. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. Volunteer opportunities include: marine life conservation, language courses, childcare in day care centers and with disabled children, teaching, orphanage work, as well as supporting abandoned street children. Visit the Volunteering Solutions website to learn more about these volunteer projects in Peru.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program in Cusco-Peru!

View Program Information
Housing:
Volunteer House
Application:
Age Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Lindsey
    Age: 25-30
    Lakeland, Florida
    University of Utah
    Working with children in Cuzco
    12/10/2015

I absolutely adore children and teaching so we decided that working in the kindergarten for the street children would be a great place to devote our time! It was so great working with so many sweet little kids they were so great and loved learning! I especially loved the play time with them it was so great! I also loved that we got to stay with a host family. They helped us to understand their way of life so we could connect on a better level with the children!

Photos:
    Useful 2 Inspiring 1
  • Shay
    Saint Louis, MO
    Cuzco Peru & Volunteering Solutions - an unforgettable summer
    06/30/2015

It was the most amazing and meaningful experience. I did two programs, 4 weeks with street kids and 8 weeks in a Medical Facility. In my free time I took cooking and Salsa classes. My BEST SUMMER! I participated in three deliveries, 2 boys and a girl, and the work with the Cuzco Peruvian people was very interesting. I am fluent in Spanish, but I did not expect that many of my patients spoke Kachua, the local dialect, but Mama Norma helped me out...

How could this program be improved?

The experience with the host family was very positive, and a great opportunity to connect. I would not change a thing. The combination of experiences was very significant..

Photos:
    Age: 25-30
    San Francisco
    Medical Volunteer
    04/05/2013

I volunteered at Cusco, Peru in 2009. This was my first volunteer experience with volunteering solutions.It was also the first time I traveled alone. I had such an amazing time and am so happy that I did it, despite my fears.

The house that I stayed at was shockingly nice! I stayed with a family in a two story home. They were very friendly and helpful. They cooked great food every day and made sure that I never went hungry.

The clinic I volunteered with was a travel clinic. Every day we would meet at the same place and then travel to the remote villages in the Andes Mountain. We would give care to the beautiful people in those villages. It was amazing! We would work from Monday to Friday. Then on Friday afternoon, we would end early @ 1100. At this time, the whole city would meet at the fields to play soccer. I loved it!

I traveled with a dentist, nurse, doctor, phlebotomist, and an obstetrician. Together, we would set up our clinic in various areas of the city and care for the locals. It was an amazing experience. I felt like I was being given a tour of the city sights every time we moved to a new location.

Cusco it self was an incredible city full of incredible architecture. It was amazing to be standing in a city with architecture that dates back to the Incan Empire. The highlight of my sight seeing was visiting Machu Picchu. UNBELIEVABLE!

At the end of my trip, the team and I grew close enough that they all took me to lunch and then dropped me off at the airport on my last day. It was a sad time when I left but I have fond memories. I would love to volunteer with them again.

How could this program be improved?

I went during the Non-peek season. At one point, I was the only volunteer in the home. I went during the month of July. I would suggest researching peek times so that you will be able to socialize with other volunteers. On the other hand, I made many local friends and had an amazing time with them.

Useful 6 Inspiring 2
  • Sorsha
    Age: 18 or younger
    Dallas, TX.
    Southern Methodist University
    An Unforgettable Experience
    11/30/2012

I had such an incredible time in Peru. My daily routine began early in the morning as I arrived at work and helped the teacher prepare for her lesson. I always came home to a delicious lunch made by my host mother, and I spent the evenings relaxing with my family. On the weekends I saw the night life, went shopping in open-air markets, and hiked through Machu Picchu. I will never forget this trip, and I cannot wait to go back to visit my host family again.

How could this program be improved?

I would have liked to been given a more formal orientation session about the little details of living in a new place: how and when to use electricity, who to call in case of an emergency, the locations of the embassies, and other things like that.

Useful 3 Inspiring 0
  • silvia
    akersberga
    amazing cusco!
    09/06/2012

VS Staff always helpful and quick in responding e-mails. I thoroughly enjoyed my program placement and the kids and the women in the day care were very sympathetic and open to our inputs, games, etc. The accommodation was very nice and clean. I felt very secure and my host family made me feels the part of their family. The food was delicious and a nice overview of Peruvian food. I would surely recommend Volunteering Solutions to people who are looking to volunteer work abroad and I am convinced and this experience might influence my future career.

Useful 1 Inspiring 1
  • NEmms
    Leeds
    great time in peru
    09/03/2012

The overall working of the website is very good and it was really very easy to navigate. The staff was also very efficient in replying to my questions I had before applying with Volunteering Solutions. I also enjoyed working at my placement as it is been a very rewarding experience and I value the memories i have made. The children were great and I managed to connect with them despite not knowing much Spanish. The host families have been very accommodating. Food has been good. Overall my stay has been very enjoyable.

Useful 2 Inspiring 0
  • Daisy
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Special Kids in Cuzco, Peru
    07/27/2012

I had the opportunity to volunteer in cuzco,Peru for six weeks, in La Escuela Don Jose de San Martin, a special-ed school.
    Words can not express the happiness I felt there,not only i the school, where I was surrounded by special kids, their pure-loving souls, but to also in the voluteer house, where I felt loved by Luisa, our personal cook and 'Peruvian Mother' .
    The program itself is GREAT.Jenny (local coordinator) is extremely helpfull, she answerd all my questions, and offerd me more things ( I am a Hospital Clown , she invited me to go to hospitals) and was attentive thout all rhe programm.

Useful 1 Inspiring 2

About the provider

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 10500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic, reasonably priced and meaningful volunteer programs around the world.

Volunteering Solutions aims to promote volunteer work in countries that need it the most by connecting the right people with the best projects abroad. With such a wide variety of projects around the world, there is sure to be something for everyone. At the end of the program, volunteers and interns are awarded with an internship or volunteer certificate.

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.