Volunteer Programs in South Africa with African Impact

By African Impact   Reviews (21)   93% Rating

African Impact gives you a fantastic opportunity to do charity work in Africa, volunteer in conservation, participate in teaching volunteer projects, medical volunteer projects, orphan care and volunteer with lions. As a volunteer you can make a huge impact in the conservation of Africa's magnificent wildlife as well as to the survival of endangered species through Big 5 Research and Conservation Projects on a private game reserve in South Africa and volunteer with great white sharks.
During your stay you will uplift the impoverished, conserve the environment and make a lasting impact by creating a brighter future for the locals with merely a pair of willing hands! There are also various opportunities within marketing, media, design, tourism, photography, financial and hospitality industries to volunteer in your area of interest or expertise.
Volunteer in South Africa, take a career break abroad, or join for a gap year in South Africa and experience a country of incredible diversity.

Program Info

18-22
22-35
50+
Cost Description:

The volunteer fee for our projects not only covers your accommodation, all meals, transport and resources used while on project; but it also contributes to the development of new projects in communities and areas where help is needed, and gives us the ability to sustain our projects for the long-term. We also offer you 24 hour on the ground support and will collect you from the airport when you arrive!

Languages:
Housing:
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Videos

Positive
Leave a Review
  • A.Ross
    Edinburgh
    Newcastle University
    The opportunity of a lifetime
    07/23/2015

If you want to learn, give generously in time and effort to an extremely worthwhile cause, and have tremendous amounts of fun at the same time - African Impact is a must-do. Perfect for anyone looking to do something incredibly important, yet hugely fun.

Photos:
    The view you work with every day.
  • Wendy
    Quito, Ecuador
    The Big 5 Conservation Program at Thanda Reserve
    04/08/2015

I was part of African Impact's conservation program for one month and I have to say that I wish I could have stayed more time! The time there goes by so fast. My day started at 6 am going in an early drive of 3 hours and when we got back we had other tasks to work on- i was planning a lesson for a group of students at a primary school. Then we would have lunch at 12 pm and after that we had another drive from 1 pm-4 pm; at 6:30 pm we had dinner and then we would have different things to do every day- some presentations, game night, movie night.

Everything was perfect! I will say one of my highlights of being there was when we could presentiate the speed of two cheetah brothers while hunting. We could see them eating an impala just by the fence! it was amazing. There is also the youth program were you could choose to go any Tuesday to a village near to play with the kids and entertain them, talking about you, and teaching them about conservation.

On the weekends you get the option to go on a trip or to go to places nearby like the cat rehabilitation center where you get to touch a cheetah or to the elephant interaction, 5 min away from the lodge. If you are planning to go for this program at the end you will want to stay more time there! the people at the lodge are amazing and they make you feel like it's your second home. I highly recommend this program!

• Sophie
    Nottingham, UK
    Nottingham Trent University
    Cape Town Teaching Project 2013
    02/12/2014

I loved my volunteering experience with African Impact, i only wish i had volunteered for longer than just 2 short weeks! It's left me wanting more and i'm already hoping to return.

If you are looking for a volunteer experience that is legitimate, sustainable and enjoyable all whilst making a truly valuable impact then look no further, African Impact is the largest on the ground facilitator of volunteer opportunities in Africa! So where you want to be and what you want to do is totally up to you, and trust me, you will be in safe hands!

So i chose to volunteer in sunny Cape Town with the teaching projects out there. I spent half my time supporting teaching at a pre-school in a local township and the other half with GAPA (Grandmothers Against Poverty & Aids) - a truly incredible project that supports grandmothers to provide after-school care, fun and food to children within the largest township community, Khayelitsha.

I learnt more than I could have imagined, not just about the culture and lifestyles of the communities, but also about the nature of volunteering itself. It's about offering support whilst remaining completely sustainable, less about the hand outs and more about enabling and empowering others. This means that your impact is truly lasting and unforgettable.
    At Luntu you will meet some very special children who will fall in love with you as soon as you walk in through the front door! Their squeals of joy and the songs they will teach you will buzz around your head forever. I spent most mornings reading stories, teaching English and supporting their play.

GAPA volunteers help to support grandmothers in providing a safe place where children can simply enjoy being children. Grandmothers often become parents again to their grandchildren as the middle generation are affected by HIV/aids, the project enables them to get together, offering care, love and attention to the communities children and also gives them an opportunity to start earning a small living again, making and selling unique hand-made toys, jewellery and accessories which make fantastic keep-sakes and souvenirs! You will have fun organising games and singing songs, playing cards or painting pictures in the dusty yard. As a Primary School teacher back in the UK, I was amazed at what you can do with little resources! The children are strong, happy, motivated and independent. They will fight for your attention and obsess over your hair, they will love you just for being there.

You will have plenty of fun at the volunteer house, making friends from all around the world. Theme nights, pub quizzes, coffee shop crawls! You will be pretty well looked after too by the wonderful Shecky and Jane! The cooking is traditional, delicious and dinner is always on the table when you come home from project! They'll even do your washing for you so that you can concentrate on the important things, like enjoying yourself, sorting resources or planning for more fun!
    You will never be on your own, fellow volunteers will become your family out there and with constant support from African Impact project co-coordinators and Interns you will work together to plan fun and engaging activities and not forgetting the incredible local project leaders who are always on hand for a quick Xhosa lesson or two!

Cape Town is so vibrant and colourful, it's constantly buzzing! There is so much to see and do that you will be spoilt for choice! We spent our weekends and free time exploring Obs (the volunteer house local town) where there is an eclectic mix of late night coffee shops, pubs, clubs and live music! We clambered up Table Mountain and abseiled down again, sampled tasty treats at the Biscuit Mill markets. We then joined the Cape to Addo tour at the end of our volunteer adventure, where we bungee-jumped, braved black-water tubing and bare-back Ostrich riding! We sunned ourselves at a citrus farm and spotted elephants on Safari - a perfect way to round off an epic South African adventure. There are plenty more opportunities from shark-cage diving to sky diving, the possibilities are endless and your volunteering experience will be unforgettable.

So here's a few tips:
    - Bring a jumper (it gets cold indoors!)
    - Be open minded (if your friends want to stop off to try sheep's head on the way to project - do it! Try the local treats, they will leave you wanting more no matter how strange they seem!)
    - Learn some Xhosa - the go go's will appreciate a 'molo!'
    - Why not pack a few extra resources in your back-pack - kids love to play cards and parachute games!

Volunteering provides a broader perspective on all aspects of life, it deepens understanding and ignites intrigue. To volunteer is to learn, to enjoy, to experience. To be excited, exhilarated and to explore a sense of awe and wonder. If it does all this for you, just imagine what you can do for others.

Volunteer with African Impact Cape Town City Projects - You know you want to!

Useful: 12 Inspiring: 7
  • MR
    Age: 31-50
    bristol. uk
    AMAZING EXPERIENCE
    11/25/2013

I have just returned from two weeks in st lucia with African impact and have to say, they were just amazing.The co-ordinators ( from Monique & Miriam to Vlekkie ) are so committed, enthusiastic,motivated and passionate about their projects ( it makes you so proud of them ).They make you feel at home as soon as you arrive and you become one big family. The zulu staff are supportive and also an important part of this project,their knowledge of the area and the community really puts you at ease,i soon became part of the community !!! people of all ages recognise you and just love to talk !!. As for the projects, you really do feel as if you make a difference and a great help,from cleaning peoples houses to being part of the reading club ( very rewarding ).The house in which you stay is very comfortable and clean,it is very close to shops,resturaunts and cafes. Please Please make the plunge and go, i can assure you you will not be disappointed.

How could this program be improved?

NO negatives apart from i wish i stayed for longer, but 100% sure i will return so please book longer.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • Colleen
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great experience in South Africa
    11/07/2013

I volunteered with the African Impact for two weeks in Cape Town, South Africa. At first, I was so scared about flying all my myself and I didnt know much about the African Impact organization. I was able to make 30 hours of flight to South Africa from United States, and as soon as when I arrived Cape Town, there was a really sweet lady who was waiting for me with my name on the sign. She was so friendly and welcomed me to the volunteer house. I met so many nice people from all over the world in my volunteer house in Cape Town. They were all passion about helping others. I volunteered with the Veterinary assistance and abused animal shelter project and it was wonderful! There were so many inspirational people in Cape Town and they have opened my eyes so much. There were so many things to do in Cape Town, I went to shark caged diving, Lions Head mountain hiking, restaurants, and many others with other volunteers from my house. The volunteer house was so nice and welcoming. You will learn a lot lot in Africa, and I am SO glad I went!! I almost didn't went, because I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. But it was more than worth it and I miss every minute of it! I say go for the experience because it will be once in lifetime. I wish I could go back! African Impact is such a wonderful organization and everyone who works for the organization was perfect!

How could this program be improved?

I really don't think there is anything to change. Everything was perfect! It was a great experience and absolutely a unforgettable trip.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 1
  • Matthew
    Age: 25-30
    United Kingdom
    Nottingham Trent University
    Sports Development Cape Town
    09/30/2013

When I arrived at the volunteer house we had an induction which outlined the goals for each project and the goal for the Sports Development project was to introduce a good to high standard of Physical Education (PE) while supporting the local head coach from a company called "Sports Choice". This company works with local schools with in townships with backing from some charities to improve the quality of coaching and the amount of time children take part in organised PE sessions. Sustainability is really important to African Impact and that is very clear in each project in which I was involved in.
    The schools were how I pictured a township school and not like the photo on the website of the volunteer provider. The photo was of a school African Impact used to work at a couple of months before and the school did not require more volunteer help as they progressed to a high level that they can sustain for many years to come. The areas that the children do PE were old netball courts with grass in patches on an asphalt surface on which all the children take their shoes off and have bare feet. I was surprised at first but I think back to the days I was at primary school in New Zealand and I just to go bare footed for everything. I overheard the coach saying that the school don't let the children wear shoes due to it marks and wreaks the courts, which I think is a shame when the court is in quiet a poor state.
    The first couple of sessions the head coach was in charge and it felt more like pre-season training rather than a PE lesion as all we did for 45 minutes were shuttles with the class split in to four groups which at least nine in each line. I thought this was crazy as I have learnt though practice and study that children should not be put in big group qued activities, one good thing was that the coach always got the children chanting as each group had a name and gained points for supporting pairs and teammates. After the first day I started to take more control of sessions from just a warm up to taking the whole session in which the children played more skill based games that include all the children most of the time, which I feel they would benefit from having fun and learning new skills as well.
    Depending on the age of the children and the level of English would depend on the complexity of each game. I would explain to the rules and goals of the games to the children then speak to the coach so he knew why I am doing this particular active and what skills I am looking for from the children. If it doesn't go quite right, just adapting the rules slightly makes the children more responsive. I gave the head coach a list of session plans that have key points for the session and a lot of different games based for different age groups instead of have just one set game for the children.
    On Fridays as a team we plan sessions for the next week and brainstorm new games we could try as well making them age relevant games, we would also set a theme every two weeks as the head coach only sees each class once a fortnight. Also being based in two schools in the township of Langa only two days a week allows a very limited time with each class, but the goal is to provide PE and show how important PE is in the development of a child mentally as well as physically.
    After two weeks on the volunteer project I felt time went really quickly and I just wanted to stay and continue the project as I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed my time with the staff and the children as well as I felt I have grown in terms of taking a more leading role without stepping on the head coaches toes while putting my ideas out there and having the confidence in explaining and justifying the reason for this idea. When I was younger I feel I would have taken a back seat role and just let things play out as an observer.
    This experience has shown me a different style and culture of coaching children and has opened my eyes to the fact that children have a massive respect for adults in this culture and been constantly hearing a collective "yes coach" and if you say something they do it, whereas some English children don't have that level of respect of even close.
    The more you put in to project the more you get out, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had.

How could this program be improved?

Update photos to current schools, apart from that it was amazing and everyone should do it

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Heiko
    Age: 51 or older
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    University of British Columbia
    Big animal research at Thanda
    09/20/2013

African Impact runs a serious research project at Thanda. My work-holiday time there was a chance to learn about and to participate in meaningful investigations of wild animal behaviour. Suddenly faced with an eight member pride of lions I saw at once that I should have studied more closely all the preparation sheets I had been sent. Identifying individual animals from photos and detailed descriptions at first seemed impossible; and so recording their interactions appeared futile. This was no less true when an over 20 member herd of elephants surrounded us. (After an eight day search our 40-40 vision driver managed to get us this experience. I could say lots about our hyper-tuned bird dog drivers) Yet this is what this program teaches us to do. The challenge is to immerse oneself, before, during and after the numerous actual sightings, in the available material showing the animals' features and group relationships. We volunteers, working together with trained staff, manually recorded and then entered electronically every observation. We were then able to analyze the data and to present trends in draft monthly reports. A few weeks here can be anything from a holiday to the beginning of a career. The food, accommodation, staff, camaraderie, who cares, it's all great. So also are the times we spent helping people in surrounding villages and helping to keep vegetation under control. Where the opportunities are unique is with tracking and finding the animals, and then with the limitless challenge of studying and recording them.

How could this program be improved?

For the surprisingly speedy and thorough observational skills called for, more preparatory exercises would help.

Useful: 4 Inspiring: 0
  • LeonaArmstrong
    Manchester, UK
    Manchester Metropolitan University
    The best thing I've ever done!
    09/03/2013

Volunteering with African Impact is the best thing I have ever done and I can't wait to go back as soon as possible! The projects are organised really well, they keep you busy when you are there but thats the whole reason of volunteering right? Sustainability is really important to African Impact and thats clear in each project I was involved in. The more you put in to the projects the more you get out, thee most rewarding thing I've ever done.

Monday to Friday you're busy on projects from 8:30am till around 4pm, coming home for a delicious cooked lunch in between. In your spare time you get to see more of this beautiful part of the world and get to make friends for life with the other wonderful volunteers and the AMAZING African Impact staff.

The co-ordinators and other staff members are just brilliant, a total inspiration and are always there when you need them. The house where you stay is really lovely and the meals the zulu ladies cook are DELICIOUS!

Volunteering with African Impact is a fantastic experience, you get to see a different part of the world, immerse yourself in a different culture, help those less fortunate than you and develop yourself as person as a result.

How could this program be improved?

Trying to think of something negative about the project is really difficult, I just wish I had enough time and money to stay there longer!

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Emily_DW
    Cornwall, UK
    Amazing experience
    07/22/2013

My 2 weeks spent with African Impact in St Lucia were awesome. The team of staff and volunteers were so supportive, knowledgeable and encouraging. I really enjoyed all of the projects that I was involved in, especially brick building, holiday club, reading club and the Support Groups. The experience of working alongside members of the Zulu communities is second to none. The accommodation and food provided was superb and made the whole trip very comfortable in comparison to previous trips to Africa. I really would recommend African Impact, especially to those who enjoy meeting new people and making a noticeable difference to people's lives. The staff dealt with any problems that arose in an incredibly professional manner, maintaining the safety and well-being of volunteers at all times. Thank you very much African Impact for a brilliant time!

How could this program be improved?

I would have stayed longer than two weeks!

• Beth
    United Kingdom
    Rewarding and Worthwhile Experience
    07/22/2013

I spent 2 weeks volunteering for African Impact in St Lucia, South Africa on their Community Project and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! The volunteer house was brilliant and comfortable - absolute luxury compared to some places I have stayed in other parts of Africa where we had cold outdoor showers, long drop toilets and no electricity. The food was great - always enough, extremely varied (definitely not just rice and veg) and able to cater for a whole range of dietary requirements including one fellow volunteer who was both a vegan and ate Kosher! The staff were always very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable as were the other volunteers. The project itself was wonderful because we got to do a whole range of things that not only took into account an individual's skills but allowed them to develop new ones. For example, I never thought I would be able to make concrete and bricks by hand, and now I can! I loved being able to get to know members of the community and the gratitude they showed us for something as simple as weeding their garden was humbling. I truly believe that all the African Impact projects in St Lucia are making a difference in the surrounding communities and I would thoroughly recommend African Impact to anyone, regardless of age or skill.

How could this program be improved?

The only thing I would say is that 2 weeks is definitely not long enough!

• Travellingprof
    Age: 31-50
    Denver, CO
    University of Denver
    Medical program needs work
    07/21/2013

I wish that I had better things to say about African Impact. I did not have a good experience with them, in many ways. First of all, the volunteer house itself is in need of repair. The showers were very unreliable and many people ended up finishing their showers in the sink. The food was low in nutritional value overall (rice and frozen veg was the regular meal) and generally very spicy. On the medical program, there was simply not enough for the volunteers to do, so we would be sent out in 4's to check on one person. The idea was to get quality time with the patient, but really it was just the Zulu social worker doing all of the communication, so the volunteers were left just to sit and stare at the person. Not exactly what I had in mind when I signed up for this experience. This leads me to believe that they are more interested in getting the money from the volunteers more than creating significant change or a valuable experience, at least for the medical part of the program. I began to disagree with management after they changed my assignment without my input. I specialize in teaching Human Sexuality and they gave the HIV class to people who had no training or knowledge of HIV, and no special desire to do the class. They were just randomly assigned the task. I didn't take this well and started to get depressed and sullen. The worst part came when, after 3 weeks of working with them, I was roused out of bed and told I had been terminated from the program. The initial reason was due to a stupid, generalized joke I posted on Facebook about smothering people, but then stated the official reason was that I had revealed, in an email to the lead coordinator, that I had an anxiety disorder (citing that as why I had trouble discussing with them that I was so unhappy with the recent change). I was told that I had not listed that on my application, so that was grounds for immediate termination. This was after a night of program sponsored drinking, so I was not in the place to take this well either. I left, even though they gave me the option of staying, in separate quarters--like a criminal. They put me in a very dangerous position, drunk, alone, having a full-blown panic attack on the darkened streets of St. Lucia . They did try to offer suggestions of hostels, but if you've ever had a panic attack, you know that it's unbelievably difficult to focus on anything besides the anxiety. I was rescued by a local woman and after a few days, I took responsibility for my actions and sent an email to them apologizing for my part in things and asked to come back. If you are interested in volunteering abroad, you want to do the work. That's why you're there and that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to finish the work that I started. I was denied that chance with no explanation of why. The majority of the coordinators are incredibly young and inexperienced. If you are over the age of 25 and have any actual skills that you want to employ, this is not the program for you. This rash decision, coupled with my own ill conceived behavior, has costs me almost $1,000, since I had to find my own lodging, food, and way back to Durban, 3 hours away. I am a school teacher and do not have that kind of extra cash, especially after paying $5,000 for the experience in the first place. I'm afraid this has killed any motivation for me to volunteer abroad or to encourage others to do so. That's probably the saddest outcome of all. I do want to note that this is not my first review of this organization. I was contacted by the lead coordinator and pressured to take down my initial feedback. This tells me that they are not interested in receiving honest feedback or others knowing their serious flaws.

Useful: 6 Inspiring: 1
    Response from African Impact
    07/22/2013
    African Impact would like to comment that we are aware of this unfortunate event in which we were required to make some difficult decisions that we do not take lightly. All feedback we receive is important to us and reviewed seriously so that we can agree on appropriate steps to improve. We are committed to our responsibility to volunteers who join us in Africa to help us achieve the objectives we agree with local communities on the projects we run. At the centre of our focus is our responsibility to facilitate projects with meaningful outcomes for all of our volunteers, and we make it a priority for volunteers in turn to experience, learn and enjoy their time with us, and feel safe in all aspects of their stay. We have in place a Code of Conduct which on rare occasions we use to make sure all other volunteers are safe and their experience is not affected negatively by others. When we use the Code of Conduct we ensure the person involved is offered support and is safe. Our St Lucia Project hosts over a hundred volunteers a year and the testimonials speak for themselves - this is one of our top rated projects and has received rave reviews from previous volunteers. We invite any potential volunteers to read subsequent reviews of this program for more accurate project feedback. - Andrew Procter, Operations Director, African Impact
  • RT
    Nashville, TN
    Furman University
    Amazing Experience
    07/15/2013

I was on the education project in St. Lucia for 2 months, and it was easily the best experience I have ever had. I had a lot of expectations coming in, and I they were all exceeded. The staff is extremely kind and always willing to help. You can tell that they love what they do and truly believe in it. From the beginning of my trip, they made me feel extremely comfortable and at home. Since I was on the education project I participated in teaching at the creches, reading club, after school club, holiday club, adult english classes and other community projects such as gardening and brick building. I could tell that the different projects we take part in really do make a difference in the communities, especially since I was there for 2 months. I can't choose a favorite project, but I really loved reading club and holiday club. I feel like I really got to know these kids, and they had a huge impact on me. One of the things that was really cool is when people in the community talked about how much African Impact means to them, and how it has affected their lives. One experience that was really cool was when a kid wrote a poem about African Impact. That's when you know that the work you are doing is affecting people's lives. I will never forget the experiences that I had here, and I hope that I will return soon.

• Hellyeahcooke
    Devon, UK
    Orphan Day Care Teaching and HIV/AIDS Education program -St. Lucia
    05/20/2013

can't even begin to explain how amazing my time with the St. Lucia team was. The staff were so helpful and knowledgeable, and an absolute laugh! I had a great group of volunteers to work with, from all over the world. It was so rewarding teaching the children everyday and seeing them learn and respond, playing the hilarious apple game! I got to help teach English to adults within the community, partake in gardening, as well as having the absolute joy of working with and seeing the growth of the inkanyezi creche, a look in at what the medical volunteers get up to in the clinic. It was the most insightful and -as cliche as it is- life changing experience to date. It's opened my eyes to so much and really broadened my prospects and aims for the future. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be coming back, hopefully to St. Lucia, as well as more of my beautiful home country. I cannot recommend African Impact enough. 10/10

• Patto
    Port Campbell, Australia
    Deakin University
    St Lucia
    02/10/2013

I had a lot of reservations about volunteering in St Lucia. I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to humanitarian volunteer work in general. But St Lucia proved to be one of the most rewarding, worthwhile things I've ever done.
    I left there knowing my work was beneficial and my time was spent well. The program is really well set up; it can easily rotate volunteers on a weekly or monthly basis through ongoing projects. Standard assignments included English lessons, gardening and HIV awareness. Those on the receiving end of the help are happy to receive it and free to turn it down; no one is forcing the issue. I feel as though I played my small part in something very worthwhile.

How could this program be improved?

If you have a large appetite expect to visit the supermarket for snacking purposes in between meals.

• TSO
    Bristol, UK
    Thank you St. Lucia for showing me the value of life
    02/10/2013

Never in my life I imagined myself doing anything of the sort as I ended up doing in St. Lucia. Had been to Africa before, but not the REAL Africa, only the touristy type of Africa where nothing is really Africa... When I arrived in St Lucia and saw the colours, the people and, mainly, the children, I felt I was home. It was quite daunting the first day (never I imagined that 10 kids running towards me could actually bring me down!) but it was a truly humbling experience. I've learnt to be happy, genuinely happy, with a brick or a tyre or with the simple fact that there's water to shower at the end of a very hard working day. The little African stars (and believe me, they really are stars) will make your money truly worth it, and you will experience things that you'll never experience again! The staff were great, great organisers and mainly friends, always ready to help you and to make sure that you are getting the best of your time there. The local ladies are a show of their own, and you'll never find people so lively and lovely as them. And if you can, travel around St Lucia and beyond, you'll find amazing people and scenery. And finally, don't think you cannot do something: I've built bricks, taught English, made tonnes of face paints, made friends and left a bit of me in St. Lucia. And, at the end of your time with the great staff of African Impact, you'll feel exactly the same, and you'll dream of the day to go back again.

About the provider

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then has grown into the Africa leaders in volunteer tourism, having facilitated over 12,000 volunteers and interns in 12 countries across the continent.

We're proud to offer fun, safe and structured placements where volunteers understand their contribution to responsible projects run in partnership with local communities and conservation efforts. Our journey so far has been both inspiring and humbling and we will keep pushing the horizons of what volunteering can achieve.