Volunteer in Vietnam from US$400

By UBELONG   Reviews (25)   96% Rating

UBELONG offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Hanoi. There are over 20 projects in different fields, including: business development, caregiving, education, health and NGO support.

• Affordable: Without compromising quality, the world's most affordable international volunteering opportunities.
  • Flexibility: Pick from 100+ projects across Africa, Asia and South America. Volunteer 1 week to 6 months. Start any week.
  • Support: Work one-on-one with a UBELONG Mentor throughout your volunteer experience.
  • Comfort: Housing and meals included, as well as 24/7 field support.
  • Network: UBELONG is based in Washington, DC, the capital of international volunteering.
  • Impact: UBELONG is a social venture led by international volunteers and university professors driven to make a

Program Info

$500 - $2,000 (USD)
See site for details.
See Additional Information
Cost Description:

Without compromising safety or impact, UBELONG offers the world's most affordable 1-week to 6-month international volunteering opportunities.

Fees vary by location and placement duration. They start from US$150 for one week. Fees include:

-Airport pick-up

-Housing and meals

-24/7 in-country support

-Continual one-on-one mentorship from a UBELONG Mentor (including written materials and a phone/Skype Briefing Meeting)

-Peace of mind from joining the leading short-term international volunteering program, which is based in Washington, DC

-Networking opportunities through the powerful UBELONG community

*The UBELONG Campus Leaders program offers scholarships to university students. Contact us for more information.

Languages:

Leave a Review
  • Yun
    Toronto, Canada
    University of Waterloo
    Rewarding and fun experience!
    03/31/2015

Thanks UBELONG! I had such a wondering and unforgettable volunteer experience in Hanoi, Vietnam! My three-week project was to teach elementary students English. The class size was about 60, which was a lot bigger than I expected. When I first started teaching Grade 1 students, I found them very difficult to teach. Their vocabulary was very limited even in their native language. It also didn't help that I did not understand Vietnamese, so I could not understand what they wanted to say. Coming in with very little experience in teaching, I found it difficult to communicate with them or understand their behaviour. But after a few classes, I found some ways to talk to them. For example, I drew pictures, used my body language and used simpler words to communicate with my students. This helped the school children understand me a lot better than before! The locals I met were very warm and friendly. Most Vietnamese people that I met outside of the school didn't speak much English, but they knew that smile is a universal language. They always smiled at me and tried to talk to me and help me, which really made me feel welcomed in this country! On the weekend, I usually went outside of Hanoi with other volunteers to explore the beautiful nature. Overall, I had an amazing experience because of the great volunteer organization, local supporters, other volunteers and my students!

How could this program be improved?

The food and the living condition could be better in the volunteer house.

with my students!
  • Terry
    Age: 51 or older
    Kent, England
    University College London
    6 weeks in Hanoi with Ubelong
    02/23/2015

I chose UBELONG from a wide range of options for volunteer projects abroad. I was convinced by their common sense approach, with no attempt to make the project sound too good to be true. Honesty about some of the challenges, as well as the opportunities made UBELONG the obvious choice. The back-up and support from Barbara was also a factor. Further, UBELONG make you work for the opportunity, and that in itself makes it more valuable. I chose to become a volunteer because I wanted to help and to have a new and challenging experience.

How could this program be improved?

option for a single room

• Sandra
    Paris, France
    I will definitely do it again!
    01/12/2015

UBELONG and especially my mentor Barbara have been a great support during the preparation phase and during the time I spent on site. I felt perfectly prepared and always in good hands knowing that I could aks all the questions I havae. I would definitely recommend UBELONG to other future volunteers as an experienced and serious organization which is offering valuable projects for the smallest reward.

How could this program be improved?

As much as possible information about the project are requiered to prepare yourself the best way you can. What age the children have, how is their knowledge, what kind of material is given.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Kevin
    Little Falls, NJ
    New York University
    Incredible Experience with UBELONG
    11/21/2014

UBELONG is the only organization I came across that clearly puts the needs of the local programs they support ahead of their own bottom line. Unlike other programs, UBELONG's fees are extremely reasonable and their internal support system is second to none! There was never a moment that I didn't feel completely supported prior to my trip or while I was with my local organization in Vietnam. UBELONG sticks to their founding principals in everything that they do and it gives me great pride to know I worked with such a wonderful organization. UBELONG is truly the real deal.

How could this program be improved?

Honestly, for the specific role that UBELONG played in my experience, there isn't anything I would need to change. For a new experience like this the most important things to me were communication and diversity of programs, and UBELONG met or exceeded my expectations in both fields (and others...) time and again.

Teaching at Lemongrass Shelter
  • Chris
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    University of Wisconsin
    Great experience!
    10/30/2014

Volunteering with UBELONG is easy and fun! I've had one of the best experiences in my life and I wished I stayed in my program for a longer time. Daily life presented an exciting challenge as the culture and language are vastly different than my own. However, that is part of what makes the experience great as you get to immerse yourself in an entirely different environment.

• Joe
    Meadville, Pennsylvania
    Allegheny College
    Joe P
    10/21/2014

UBELONG provided with the tools to embark on my first international experience in a country very unlike my own so I could go out and find what we have in common. I am truly changed for the better because of my stay in Vietnam and all of the serendipitous things that happened along the way.

• Mariana
    Braga- Portugal
    Vietnam for real
    10/16/2014

I've always had company to go on an adventure like this one, my best friend, but lacked the rest. The courage, the time and organization. The UBELONG provided me all the conditions that I needed to realize a dream. It is a reliable association and very concerned so the volunteers who run this mission, have total access to all the information they need and offers plenty of choices. It offers many dreams!

How could this program be improved?

I think that it could be better for the association and for further volunteers, if the program was a little bite cheaper. It would also be important if the organization is closest to the offices of each country, so they can keep in touch and to know what is going on, every day.

Volunteer House in Vietnam
    Rice Fields in Mai Chau
    Ha Long Bay island
  • Fabian
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    New Mexico State University
    Friendship is the greatest gift in the world
    10/09/2014

As I worked alongside doctors in Vietnam I not only made fellow coworkers but a variety of good friends who shared their knowledge with me, both in practice and social skills. I have gained a variety of knowledge and I can only hope I left a great impact in there lives just as they made a positive impact in my life.

How could this program be improved?

I don't think I would change anything its a volunteer organization and I didn't expect to get treated like a 5 star hotel. One thing I did dislike is the fake people who just go over to get there certificate.

Wedding in Vietnam
    Hospital in Vietnam
    Cambodia with my Vietnamese Friend
  • Lisa
    Washington, DC
    Old Dominion University
    UBELONG in Hanoi
    09/23/2014

As an educator, I've always wanted to make my time off in the summertime meaningful. For as long as I can recall, I've wanted to teach abroad or volunteer and give back to a community. I spent a lot of time researching different volunteer organizations, but had difficulty finding one that was affordable, organized, and reputable. Through word-of-mouth, I discovered UBELONG. The application was straightforward, the programs were diverse and located nationwide, and it was extremely organized--on paper and in person. I definitely will volunteer with UBELONG again and look forward to trying out new projects and locations.

How could this program be improved?

I think there should always be another volunteer on the same project with you for support, collaboration, and commuting purposes.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Romain
    NGO Volunteer in Ho Chi Minh City
    07/25/2014

I volunteered in Ho Chi Minh City for one month in an NGO specialized on public health matters, especially HIV/AIDS among stigmatized populations such as LGBT, migrant workers or female sex workers. My duties mainly consisted in drafting training material about Vietnamese Labour Law reform, organizing some English teaching lessons, for the staff, drafting a research proposal about how to tackle HIV in LGBT population efficiently and at a cheap cost.

I clearly had one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life, as I had to work in a foreign environment and had to submit proposals before a certain deadline. I really enjoyed the fact that UBELONG could appoint me to an organization for which I could use my scholar and Professional background to carry out my duties. The range of opportunities is really wide and everybody should find the program that fits the best.

UBELONG provides you some support, via the mentor, throughout your mission and it feels really comfortable to always have an interlocutor with whom you can share your experience and ask for help or support, if needed.

In the end, I urge everybody that want to use his/her university skills to apply for the NGO program because it is at the same time challenging for you in so far as it develops your Professional / contextual skills and it really helps the NGO. You feel you make a real impact!

• Lina
    Age: 18 or younger
    My trip in Vietnam
    07/25/2014

I stayed 4 weeks in Vietnam as an English teacher thanks to UBELONG. It was my first experience as a volunteer and I'm glad to say that UBELONG is a really serious organization and the people who are working there are always very helpful. If I could recommend a mentor it would be Barbara, she took care of me and prepared me for my trip and for that I thank her !!

The best part of my trip is that I met a lot of people who are now my friends. And when you volunteer of course you share your own culture with the local people but you also learn a new one. This is the part that makes you grow up, you discover something different from what you are used to. That's the thing that I really liked as a volunteer.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • John
    NY, New York
    Baruch College
    UBELONG: Volunteered in Ha Noi, Vietnam
    07/04/2014

My three weeks in Ha Noi, Vietnam as a UBELONG volunteer gave me a unique perspective of the world and allowed me to step out of my comfort zone. Although my original project was caring for disabled children, I had an opportunity to teach English for Community Classes, and I decided to switch to that project because I felt that I was better suited and would be more effective. I helped teach primary, pre-intermediate, and advanced level English classes. I was attracted to UBELONG because the organization provided me an outstanding and affordable program to volunteer abroad, in any country I desired. My UBELONG mentor, Barbara Barbosa, was there to guide me and make sure I was well prepared for my journey ahead. I gained new experiences and overcame obstacles by taking this opportunity to volunteer abroad. Overall, I had a great time volunteering and meeting both international and local people in Ha Noi.

• Deea
    Cairo, Egypt
    Mount Holyoke College
    Great experience
    04/28/2014

I discovered UBELONG while searching for reliable and professional volunteer opportunities. I had a very good experience with volunteering at my project in Hanoi, Vietnam. The UBELONG team is extremely dedicated in ensuring that you have a successful trip. I would highly recommend UBELONG to anyone seeking to experience living and working abroad. It just might be the opportunity you were waiting for!

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Ryan
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Harvard University
    UBELONG - Ho Chi Minh City - Review
    01/28/2014

After searching extensively on the internet for a volunteer organization, I could find no better program than UBELONG. Highly affordable and well-organized, UBELONG gave me the opportunity to travel and work in a wonderful country. for eight weeks. At every step of the way, someone was there to guide me and make sure I was prepared for the journey ahead. At the volunteer site, local volunteers showed me how to get around, the best places to eat, and what places to avoid. And, as my project progressed, my mentor, Raul, checked in to make sure everything was going well. All in all, I had a great time volunteering in Ho Chi Minh City for UBELONG and I highly recommend the program to anyone looking to do some international volunteer work.

How could this program be improved?

If anything, I would have appreciated the opportunity to speak with someone who had went on the HCMC trip previously. Raul, my mentor, did perfectly fine in answering all my questions and concerns, but I still would have liked to speak with someone who had been on the trip before.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • Mika
    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
    Texas A&M University
    Eye opening experience
    01/10/2014

This was my first experience volunteering in an overseas location and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've voyaged as a tourist before and found this experience of volunteering to be as good, if not even better. I feel I connected with the locals in a positvely more genuine manner. They saw me more as somebody who cared, not as somebody in transit through their nation. I participated to teach English in a public school with primary students. The level was more basic than what I expected but the students made up for it with their enthusiasm. The local teachers meant well (though they could use English classes) and I appreciated the support from Ubelong. I think the cultural tips they gave were excellent and their focus on volunteers being there to work and be of service to the community, as opposed to the other way around, was important in preparing me. Knowing somebody knew my name and wanted me to do well was a very nice feeling. We lived in a perfectly basic but fine volunteer house. English was the spoken language so it did not feel so immersive from that perspective. There were Vietnamese staff people who were wonderful and I cherish the relationships we had. I found their curiosity about me and my country to be eye opening and I enjoyed their companionship. They went out of the way to make us feel at home.

How could this program be improved?

Meals in Vietnam are not as big as in North America. The food was delicious but especially for breakfast I sometimes had to do a mid-morning snack to carry me to lunch. It is also a diet very rich in carbs, which for me took some getting used to.

About the provider

UBELONG is the most affordable, professional and supportive international volunteering organization in the world.

Volunteer abroad in Africa, Asia and Latin America from 1 week to 6 months.

WHAT can you do?

For one week to six months, live in a community and volunteer on a community or environmental project.

WHERE can you go?
Asia: India, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos
Latin America: Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Peru
Africa: Ghana, Morocco

WHEN can you go?
Projects run year-round and you can join from one week to six months.

HOW much do you pay?
Costs start as low as US$350 for a 1 week placement.

Among other world-class services, you work 1 on 1 with a UBELONG Mentor and receive a Preparation Booklet, in-country orientation, housing, meals, project supervision and 24/7 support.