What do I need to do to teach overseas if I don't have a specific certification?

Question Details

I have a BA in English.


Hi Shanequa,

There are many options to teach English abroad, even if you don't have formal TEFL certification. We have long-term paid teaching options in Colombia, Mexico, and Thailand, just to name a few. Aside from the location, other factors that will impact your decision are what time of year you'd like to start and how long you'd like to be abroad. Another route would be "volun-teaching" (i.e. not earning a local salary, or only a small stipend). The paying jobs tend to require a longer-term commitment (5-12 months); however, if you can't take that long of a break, there are still many options for you. For example, we offer volun-teaching, tutoring, and teacher's assistant opportunities in places like France, Italy, and Costa Rica. You can find all the programs mentioned above by clicking on our profile link, or at https://www.apistudyabroad.com/experiential-programs/teach/.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions!

The API Team

Hi Shanequa,

That depends on the country! For many countries like China and South Korea, you'll want to pick up a TEFL certificate. If you're not trying to make a long career out of teaching abroad, I recommend getting a reputable one online (otherwise it might be better to pay more money for one in-person). For other countries that are less strict, a college degree and being an English native speaker is all you need!

Here's a comprehensive post with all of the different salary expectations for each country. If you click on the links you can also find the expectations for what's required in that country:

Here's more information about getting a TEFL online:
For online TEFLs I usually recommend MyTEFL and if you use the code ASIAADV you can get 35% off :D

Hi Shanequa,

Great to see you're considering teaching abroad! Getting a TEFL certification can definitely help your application, as well as your skills when teaching abroad - but it is not a definite necessity in some countries overseas. If you are a native English speaker with a bachelor's degree - you can choose from several locations, including (but not limited to) Spain, Thailand, China, and Peru.

Hope this helps!