Gap Year or Semester in Costa Rica

Gap Year or Semester in Costa Rica

Study Spanish in an adventurer’s mecca. Learn how to surf, explore the rainforest, swim in waterfalls or watch monkeys swing through the trees. Spend a semester or a year abroad perfecting your accent, volunteering at a local school, and making guaranteed progress towards your language goals.

Join students from around the world on the ultimate study abroad experience. Achieve fluency, see the world, expand your international network - and launch your global future. Study for 6, 9 or 11 months and start in April, June, September or January. College credit and internship opportunities ensure you're always adding to your resume during the adventure of a lifetime.

EF's Spanish schools are accredited by Instituto Cervantes, the world's leading organization promoting Spanish language education. Globalize your future, boost your international career and prepare for the DELE Exam with a Spanish Language Diploma from EF.

North America » Costa Rica
1 Year+
Hotel
Primary Language
Spanish
Age Max
Host family accommodations and a meal plan are included in the course price. Contact the Admissions Team for a personalized price quote.

Blandine
France
Lyon College

Best year of my life

I've spent a semester in EF Tamarindo last year, and I must say it's the best decision I ever made.

I was welcomed in a host family which I eventually started to consider as my own, and I think it's the best accommodation you can chose since you have no other choice than to speak Spanish at all times, and it really is a plus for discovering the culture and the habits of the Costa Rican people.

The school and the teachers were also amazing and always very helpful, and always ready to do more exciting activités !

About the town and the country itself, it's nothing like what we may know in Europe or in the US, they clearly do not have all the equipments we have, but it only adds up to the beauty of the city.

Maybe there could be more classes, or more time at school to help students learn faster (especially for those who didn't get to stay for as long as I did),

Victoria
Playa Tamarindo
University of Pittsburgh

EF Playa Tamarindo

I am currently 6 months into the 9-month program at EF Playa Tamarindo, and it has been extremely useful for the development of my Spanish language skills. I started in September, 2016 at the elementary level and am now (March 2017) at the level of advanced proficiency. By the time I leave, I will be able to communicate almost fluently. The teachers that I've had have been very helpful in explaining grammatical concepts and clearing up any questions I have.

As far as the living situation, I absolutely adore my host family. In fact, I don't think I could have had a better experience in this department. They are warm and welcoming, as are the majority of people in Costa Rica. It didn't take long for me to feel at home and become integrated into their lifestyle. Therefore, I would say the host family option is highly recommended. Not only does it accelerate your language development, but you also gain meaningful relationships.

Finally, there's the location itself. If you like to explore and experience rich cultural traditions, this is your place. There are endless opportunities to practice adventure sports, countless beaches to see, and several cultural activities in which to participate. Yes, Tamarindo itself is a very touristy area, but you can move around easily with buses and taxis. The school also schedules trips a few times per month on the weekends. I've personally crossed many items off of my bucket list.

The structure of the program and classes could be a little more concrete, but there has been steady improvement in that area since I arrived. I would only suggest to keep up the momentum.

Caroline
Paris

Unforgetable experience

I think the titlle sums up my review pretty well. I went to EF Playa Tamarindo in Costa Rica for 6 months and so far these are the best 6 months of my life. I learnt so much from the staff, the locals and the other students of course. I don t know if it is due to to sun but everyone here is cheerful and always wears a smile alongside their bikini ! I came with a low level of Spanish (A1) and after half a year thanks to the amazing teachers with whom I spoke outside of classroom too and the incredible family I lived with, I graduated in B2 which is almost fluent. I am very greatful and I totally recommend taking a few months to escape reality and routine to come and discover a new culture ; it was amazing.

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language first hand. Earn