Outward Bound Costa Rica: Outdoor Leader Semester Abroad

Outward Bound Costa Rica: Outdoor Leader Semester Abroad

By Outward Bound Costa Rica   Reviews (1)   100% Rating

Develop leadership skills as you delve into field of outdoor education through both technical and soft-skill training on our Outdoor Leader Semester Gap Year program. Using Outward Bound's holistic approach to experiential education, you'll gain self-awareness while participating in varying leadership roles.

In addition to earning seven internationally recognized certifications, this course offers an in-depth study of the Outward Bound educational model. Explore off the beaten path spots in Costa Rica and Panama as you hike through the rainforest, whitewater raft rushing rivers, scuba dive, and more. Top alumni will have the opportunity to return as an intern instructor during our high season and gain real field experience.

• Develop leadership skills as you delve into field of outdoor education through both technical & soft-skill training
  • Gain self-awareness through Outward Bound’s holistic approach to experiential education
  • Get experience in the field with an instructor internship during our high season (Offered to top alumni)
North America » Costa Rica
Primary Language
Deposit
$9125.00/week
Cost Description
Course tuition includes all room and board, technical gear, instruction, and in-country transportation while on course. Airfare to/from Costa Rica, personal equipment, and personal supplies are not covered in tuition costs.

Rating Values

Bailey
Ventura, California

65 days that changed my life

During our week spent scuba diving in Panama, my fellow student and I decided to sleep out on the open, uncovered, dock one night. There just so happened to be a meteor shower that night so we spent the night laying on a dock in the middle of the ocean, watching the sky light up with shooting stars, and discussing our purposes in life. Spending 65 days exploring everything Costa Rica has to offer completely changed my outlook on life and inspired a love for outdoor education and experiential education. Whether we were backpacking through the rural central valley or sleeping on a dock in middle of the ocean in Panama, I was constantly challenged both mentally and physically. The wilderness first responder portion of the course was definitely the most difficult for. Days were full of classroom session and hands on practice (like making a backboard out of hiking backpacks then transporting a victim on it) and ended with a late-night car crash scenario, complete with fake blood, where we put of skills to the true test. This course is focused on developing leadership skills in the participants and instill a newfound sense of purpose in the world. I continued on to be offered, and accepted, a summer internship with Outward Bound Costa Rica and got to spend the summer putting all my newly learned skills to work with students. I can honestly say I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for Outward Bound Costa Rica.

I wouldn't change a thing about my experience, even the downfalls we experienced forced us to work as a team to find solutions.

LIVE BIGGER. LIVE BOLDER. Outward Bound Costa Rica offers rigorous programs that expand students capacity in leadership, intercultural competence, Spanish langauge, self-awareness, and life skills. Push your limits mentally and physically as you explore off the beaten path in Costa Rica and Panama with activities