Gap Year or Semester in France

Gap Year or Semester in France

Travel to France for a semester or a year to explore the City of Lights or the French Riviera. Our interactive immersion courses guarantee your progress so you'll practice your French as you climb the Eiffel Tower or order a cappuccino on Rue de France.

Join students from around the world on the ultimate study abroad experience. Achieve fluency, see the world, expand your international network - and launch your global future. Study for 6, 9 or 11 months and start in April, June, September or January. College credit and internship opportunities ensure you're always adding to your resume during the adventure of a lifetime.

EF’s French schools are accredited by EAQUALS and our courses are recognized by Eastern Washington University. Globalize your future, boost your international career and prepare for the DELF Exam with a French Language Diploma from EF.

Europe » France » Paris
1 Year+
Primary Language
French
Age Max
Host family accommodations and a meal plan are included in the course price. Contact the Admissions Team for a personalized price quote.

Steven
2 months old
Paris
University of Oregon

Eric Chen

Overall, the program was a fantastic erperience, not so much bc of any effort on behalf of the school, but because of the internaiotnal friends I made during three months I was with EF Paris. That being said, the school staff and classes were all relativzely satisfactory: The acitivities staff, especially Hicham and Louis in particular, were super helpful (with phone data plans, medical insurance forms bc i sprained my ankle during my 6th week, activites, and just overall questions I had with anything) and super friendly. The language barrier was also never an issue.
In terms of classes, i think the French learning you get out of the program really depends on which techers you get. From what Ive heard from other students, the majority of the teachers are fantastic! I had 3 teachers during my time here bc I moved up a level once and my second teacher left for vacation halfway through. While the second teacher was an absolute bore during class, my class had the bonne chance to get an amazing substitue for the last 3 weeks I was here. I would definitely claim that she is the best teacher at EF Paris, so that definitely made up for the previous boring 4 weeks.
After two months in Paris, Im happy I came! Plus, my host mom was absolutely amazing!

It would have been nice to have a medium to meet other students who were not in your level. Almost all of my closest friends were from my class, or zere roommates of my classmates. The acitivites are there, but it seemed like not many people participated.
Also, more privacy when filling this survey haha. I did it literally in front of the staff, which made it a bit awkward since i was tralking about them.

Emmett
Paris

Nine months in Paris

I spent nine months in Paris with EF.
My teachers were all excellent, and I was truly impressed with the professionalism and the quality of the school. Every effort was made to immerse students in the culture and there were amways activities available that covered the entire spectrum, from cultural outings to general social events. The school does a great job of integrating students.

For learning the language, the classes were effective and the teachers were very helpful. The workload was very easily manageable and students were encouraged to develop their skills by engaging in their community. The environment is very welcoming and is great for those who don't speak a word of French and for those who want to brush up on their skills before they begin a job in a Francophone country.

The school made every effort to help the students and provide them with the best possible experience. I recommend staying with a family if you truly want to immerse yourself in the language but one should know that it truly is a different culture, and especially in Paris it won't necessarily be easy adjusting to a different way of life. But that's why you do programs like those that EF offers - To better yourself and in turn those around you.

Noémi

My experience at EF Nice

I arrived in Nice in the middle of september, and since a lot happened to me.
I met lot of nice people here and made friends.
Everyone is helpful, kind and full of joy; the activities are always fun and we never get bored!
There are beautiful towns and villages that we can visit each weekend, we can sunbathe on the beach or just have a delicious ice cream in the old town.
At the beginning I was a little afraid because I have never spent so much time away from my family and my country but you could become a part of EF community very easily.
Teachers are funny and cool, you can ask anything from them and all the Staff is also here if you need any help.
I will never regret coming here, that is a really good life experience and memory.
I would highly recommend it, no matter the age!!!

Erika

During my stay in Nice

I arrived to Nice in the middle of September and as soon as I got to meet everyone, I already knew it was going to be amazing.
Since the first day with my Host Family I felt like I was at home.
I met unique people, I met a lot of friends and I even fall in love with one of my closest friend.
Nice has given me the best experience I have even had and I would not change all this time here for anything else!
I feel like I am finally geting to know who I am and what I want.
I think EF Nice was for me my way to start showing who I really am.

Lars

My experience at EF Nice

My experience at EF Nice have been great so far. The school has found an excellent balance between learning and joy which results in some great improvements.
The city itself has a lot of sightseeing to offer due to its History and easy access to a great variety of museums.
During spring and summer, this city definitely does justice due to the high amount of visitor.
The school building is very close to the beach, it is a very welcoming building with a great lounge, cafeteria and extremely friendly and enthousiastic people.
The wide variety of activities always found a way to keep you occupied and make the best out of your stay.
You will be surprised how quickly you are able to learn French!
The staff at school takes your problems very seriously and won't hesitate to help you with whatever is on yourmind.

Luna
merelbeke

A train gone wrong

One day, there was an activity in school to Ventimille. I decided to go, but didn't know we went there by train. Once we arrived in the station, we found the platform, so we went to the platform and for some odd reason the train arrived early. Alex saw it was our train on the screen, so we took it. After 30 min we arrived in the station of Menton. Over there we stopped like a normal stop, but we stayed there a very long time. After 10 minutes Alex assured us it was normal to stay in the station for that long. But then the unthinkable happened, we drove backwards, back in the direction of Nice. Eventually we had to wait for 45 minutes for another train. After all the problems, we finally arrived in Ventimille. Because of the delay, our time in the town was shortened quite a bit. Anyway, we decided to make the most of it and two hours afterwards our return train was scheduled. So all said and done, at 12 pm, when the train was scheduled was still on the big screen without any platform. After another 5 minutes the train just disappeared, so we asked somebody what had happened. Lovely France had decided to go on a strike, so we didn't have a train at that hour. In the end we arrived 1h30 too late and missed our class. So now I decided to never take a French train again.

Sometimes i felt that in the class we didn't all have the same level but otherwise it was great !

Pascale
Burlington, VT
Queens University

A learned two weeks

I was already living in France before I went to Paris with EF. I was spending five months in Bretagne, and had a two week vacation from school. I decided I wanted to see Paris, so I did so with EF. I was familiar with EF because my mother used to work in the AuPair program, and knew someone who worked at the school in Paris.

I had been to Paris before, but being there with people from all over the world was amazing. My only piece of advice would be, LIVE WITH A FAMILY. If you really want to learn a new language, the only way to do it is living with a family and completely immersing yourself. That's not saying that the residential accomodations were bad, it's just, everyone speaks english, or whatever native language they speak. Since I was already pretty satisfied with my proficiancy in french, I was fine, and it was amazing living with so many different people.

The school is very new and modern, and I thought all the profs were awesome! The structures of the classes were also very nice, interactive and interesting.

Thank you EF!

Andres
Venezuela

the best decision in my life

I'm super thankful to this school because everyday I was here everyone has a big smile with a big welcome and that simply make your day, here they will always is going to accept you with open arms. This institut is not normal is amazing, you won't have friends here you will have an amazing family. Really the best school in the world, if you have the opportunity to come here don't have a doubt that you will love it here.

Lulu
Manhattan, NY
Seton Hall University

How EF took me on board then took me abroad

At 14 I told my parents I was going abroad. EF made that dream a reality, and for 12 months I was given the chance to attend the Opera in Paris, ski the French Alps, and pass the French Baccalaureate with flying colours. My host family took me even further and we travelled to NYC for a week for my host sisters 21 birthday. I climbed monolithic boulders, attended Gaelic festivals, improved my spanish aswell as my french, made life long friends and improved my self confidence. I became a young woman in France and EF gave me the liberty to do that. I went to wine tastings, visited Reims and tasted real Champagne, watched my favourite Bri cheese being made, and visited the parfumeries down on the Cote d'Azur. I went to lunch in Monaco and was back in France in time for dinner. I drove through Italy for a week over Easter Break and saw everything from a town with sky high chimneys to the famous leaning tower of Pisa. EF organised these trips and more, book ending my adventure in France with first an intensive language camp in a beautiful old boarding school in the north of France and ending it with a week long trip to the Alps. These two trips particularly brought me into contact with kids from Norway, New Zealand, Mexico, Columbia, the US, Japan and Australia, kids who I still to this day, 4 years on, see every summer.
EF took me on board, took me abroad, and kept me abroad, enjoying the world with my own eyes.

I would change the business side of it, wherein host families are payed a certain amount. I was lucky and experienced a brilliant trip but stories were passed around of host families who only took in the exchange student for the money and did nothing to make them feel welcome, at home, or engaged in french life.

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language first hand. Earn