Gap Year or Semester in Germany

Gap Year or Semester in Germany

Whether you study in Germany’s Bavarian capital or the capital of Germany, you will make guaranteed progress in your language skills. Spend a semester or year abroad in Germany, a major global economy, to stay competitive and boost your international career. Or soak in the country's innovative art, design, and cultural accomplishments.

Join students from around the world on the ultimate study abroad experience. Achieve fluency, see the world, expand your international network - and launch your global future. Study for 6, 9 or 11 months and start in April, June, September or January. College credit and internship opportunities ensure you're always adding to your resume during the adventure of a lifetime.

EF's German schools are accredited by EAQUALS and our courses are recognized by Eastern Washington University. Leave with documented proof of your ability when you prepare for the TestDaF with a Language Diploma from EF.

Europe » Germany » Munich
Europe » Germany » Berlin
Europe » Germany
1 Year+
Primary Language
German
Age Max
Host family accommodations and a meal plan are included in the course price. Contact the Admissions Team for a personalized price quote.

Samuel
Munich, Germany

A Great Time!

I started my course with EF towards the end of September 2016 at the A1.1 level. I practically knew no German whatsoever, apart from some phrases I had heard in movies. But now, after about 6 months, I find myself in the B2.1 level and feel very confident when communicating with others in German. Sometimes, I even find myself thinking in German instead of English. The staff in the school is friendly and has always helped me out when I asked for help.
I would totally recommend future participant to stay with a host family. I found that I was able to learn much faster simply by speaking with my host family every night at dinner time.
I also love that there is always something to do in Munich, from going to festivals and concerts, to just finding a new place to eat with friends. The city is beautiful, and so safe that you could go out walking in the middle of the night without being scared of something happening.
Overall, it has been a phenomenal experience so far!

Camila
Munich, Germany

Very good school

I started studying with the EF Education Program 6 months ago. Since the first day of class we were spoken to in German, and to this day I am in the B2.2 level. I can say proudly that I can communicate with people in German. The school has been very attentive as to my individual needs in order to improve with the language. One month ago I began with the Pre University program, and the teacher gives us courage and motivation to keep learning in order to enter a University here in Germany. There is nothing but motivation from the Staff.
I stay with a host family. I have had to move because my first host family was leaving the country, but I have a very good relationship with the owner of the house I live in right now. The house is clean, comfortable. I come from Venezuela, where we cant walk on the streets without feeling scared. Here in Munich I have not felt unsafe, not even once..

Emma

Ef Gap Year Berlin

When I arrived in Berlin, I had no idea what to expect. I knew zero German besides "Guten Tag" and had never traveled by myself before. At eighteen years old, I had just graduated high school from a very small town where I knew everyone. The idea of meeting hundreds of new people in the span of six months all coming from different cultures was mind boggling to me but I am so thankful I decided to come here. Coming to Berlin with EF was the best decision of my life. I have met some of the most amazing people and have made lifelong friends with people all over the world. I have learned more about myself in six months than I knew my whole life. In the US, gap years are not very common. Many people questioned why I didn't just do the typical thing and go straight to college. However, every American here has the same feeling I do and knows they made the right choice. Now I'll get to the specifics. I live in the EF residence which means I live with other EF students. There are other students who live in host families. Those who live in host families do have a more genuine cultural "immersion" since they must speak German to their families at home and get to learn about German culture from actual Germans. However, students living in host families can live up to one hour from the school so it can be slightly restricting when going out with friends (however most of my friends are from host families and still go out plenty). The school is full immersion meaning German is the only language spoken in school which is pretty intimidating if you come in knowing zero German like me. However, this forces you to pick up the language basics very quickly. The residence and school are really in the center of Berlin. The residence is right beside the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe and only a minute's walk from the Brandenburg Gate and Tiergarten. Since it is in the center it is also easy to get anywhere in Berlin with the Ubahn system. Ef really gives you a lot of independence and freedom. They also bring you on occasional trips. For example, I got to go to Barcelona my second month with the school. There is a huge variety of people that come to EF Berlin and there are always waves of new people coming into the school which is always really exciting. Overall, I am very happy with my decision to come to Berlin with Education First.

Many students know few if any real Germans. Maybe the school could do more to encourage/bring together more students and Germans.

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language first hand. Earn