CIEE Gap Year Abroad in Legon, Ghana – Service & Leadership

Gap Year in Ghana
Gap Year in Ghana

Experience daily life in a land of more than 80 languages and 70 tribal groups as you provide education and mentorship for deserving underprivileged children.

You’ll thrive in an atmosphere of personal growth and development by volunteering at the Future Leaders School to teach children (ages 5 to 16) who have never been to school. While teaching them basic math, English, and reading skills, you’ll also mentor them to help develop their sense of self-worth. Many of the children you’ll teach come from families who struggle to afford basic care and may also be homeless. You’ll make a huge difference in the children’s lives as you give them the support they need to thrive in school!

*You can create a duo program by combining any two CIEE Gap Year Abroad semesters and get 10% off the second semester.

Mollie

Best Semester of my Life!!!!

I absolutely loved my time here in Legon, Ghana. I have met so many amazing, generous, and kind people who I will stay in contact with for a long time. I already want to come back and I haven’t even left yet! I have recommended CIEE to many of my friends and I encourage everyone to take a gap year/semester abroad. I feel like I have grown so much as a person, and my independence/confidence has improved more than it ever would in the states. I can’t stress this enough!!!! It has been the best 3 1/2 months of my whole life. I volunteered at a school here in Teshie, and the kids are wonderful and so sweet & they love volunteers! The food is actually pretty good (besides the fish) and I’m going to miss my bofrout & fanice! I have gotten so accustomed to the life here, my host family feels like my family and this place feels like my home. If you are considering coming to Ghana, I would 100% come through CIEE. They are the best!

My advice to future travelers on this program-and any program really-is to never let your guard down. It’s easy to get used to a place and feel secure, but it’s so important to stay aware of your surroundings and be smart so that nothing bad happens! Also, just keep a good attitude with everything and stay positive and it’ll make your experience 10x greater. :)