Learn Spanish throughout Spain with EF International Language Campuses

Explore EF's newest destination, EF Seoul!

Learn Korean with EF in Seoul, located in the famous Gangnam district! Take a tour of the school with Chris, Youtuber CoreanoVlogs.

Learn Spanish with EF in some of the world's greatest cities. With centers in Madrid, Malaga, and Barcelona you will not only learn the language, but also live it.

At EF, you decide when you want to study, how long you'll stay, and what you'd like to focus on. You can personalize your course with Special Interest Classes like Spanish Culture, Current Affairs & Debate, Spanish Culture, Business Spanish, Interpreting, and Exam Preparation (DELE). Earn transferable college credit for any course 4 weeks or longer, allowing you to make the most of your time abroad.

EF’s Spanish schools are accredited by Instituto Cervantes, the world's leading organization promoting Spanish language education and recognized by the Universty of Montana, our partner in education.

Live in Canada? Visit our Canadian website instead.

• Study from 2 weeks up to a full year, start any Monday.
  • Choose between our amazing locations in Barcelona, Madrid, and Malaga.
  • Top activities include Bachata classes, bike tours of the city, surfing in Tarifia, and weekend excursions to Montserrat and Morocco.
  • Choose to reside with a local host family or in the EF Residence, an international dorm.
  • EF students hail from over 100 countries around the world.

Hi Lynn! All EF schools are open to adults but we actually offer programs just for adult sand professionals Paris, Madrid, and Munich. Classwork and activities are catered towards the interests of adults and professionals (think business Spanish followed by wine tasting at local tapas bar). The Admissions Team can help you pick the location that is the best fit for you. Thanks for your interest!

Lance

EF Madrid

Coming from a small town in Connecticut I feel as though my experience in Madrid is something I will never forget. The friendships I have made have allowed me to travel all around Europe just visiting friends that I have made through the EF program, and for this I think it is a really special thing. Through my time in Madrid I have been through many new experiences, made friends I never thought I would have been so close to and improved my Spanish skills tenfold. The teachers at EF madrid are some of the best professors I’ve ever had in my student years. They are fun, and always there to help you whether It’s a small or large probelm. Having visited both EF Malaga and EF Barcelona although I think both are very good programs as well, I think Madrid as a city is better. Being the metropolitan capitol of Spain and in the center you’ll find that you will get more real Spanish speaking people and less tourists. For this reason it is a better city to improve your Spanish skills. The night life in Madrid is truly incredible and spending nights out with your friends is really something you will never forget. Overall I think my expirence at Madrid has been very rewarding

I think the best way the program can be improved is the housing options. After being through two host family’s I feel as though I have some good input into what it is like. First off, I have had friends who have been in a host family and have absolutely loved it. And this is because they lived with a host FAMILY. Typically I find that the students who enjoyed their host family’s the most lived with a married couple that either had young kids who live in the house or grown up children that moved out. The reason these host family’s where so amazing for the students is because the host family’s had the idea that they really wanted to have students in their house, that they thought of the EF program not as a way to make a couple extra bucks but to really influence the student lives and in turn their own lives as well. I remeber one of my friends at a host family saying to me that her host dad told her that all of the students that come to his house are like his children and he really cares about each and every one of them. This for me is a host FAMILY. They sit down with the students, eat with them, talk to them, and be invested in their lives, like a real family should. I however recived a different experience. What I went though was more of what I would call a host STAY and not a host family. With both host stays I lived with an old women in a small apartment with some other students. The women would cook for us, but she would not eat with us and would not eat the same food as us. At some points the house wasn’t clean there were problems with the food and the host mother doesn’t really connect with us. And I understand, because for these types of people they consider this a way to earn money and at the end of the day they will do anything to save money and earn more. And if you have this mindset as a host mother you lose the idea of what a host family is supposed to be. For me I think EF really needs to understand the purpose a host family serves to a student and search for more family’s like the one my friend had.
Amy

Beautiful City.... Terrible Program

I was very excited to go to Barcelona and study abroad. My friend went through a different program and enjoyed it a lot. My Spanish improved so much and I 100% think this was a valuable experience and recommend others to study abroad. (Learning Spanish was more of a result of being in Spain not at all a result of taking those un engaging classes with bad teachers)
Having said that I have come to the conclusion that, from what I experienced during my stay, the EF program in Barcelona is unorganized, the staff are rude, and the host moms, which I spoke to(I can't speak for ones I have not met or heard about), are uneducated and rude as well. I am not saying all of their locations are like this but the interactions I had with the Ef staff in Barcelona were atrocious. They would most definetly be unqualified to work in the U.S. for speaking to customers the way they do. Not only that but I was shocked because they were complete liars. They would say anything to save their behinds and made up stories when people complained. I do not believe they were qualified for their jobs one bit as they are rude, close minded, and untrustworthy.
As much as my experience with the staff was atrocious that wasn't the worst part, and it is probably unusual as most kids just pass through the program and are simply given fake smiles. The worst part was how obviously unorganized the program was. Most host parents were not even parents. Some where just men or young women who lived alone and were never home. My host mom was not a native spanish speaker and had such a thick accent I could barely understand her. She also did not know anything about the culture and therefore it was not a "cultural experience". I spoke to many people who were there with me in Barcelona(from all over the world) and many had problems with the program and their host "families". Some were left alone to do what ever they wanted sometimes as their host "parent" would go out clubbing. One of my friends was not even fed for a few days and was forced to buy her own food(the program is expensive and includes meals). Everyone I had talked to who was vegetarian arrived at the house to find out that the host family didn't even know! My host mom did not even know how to cook for my roommate and me and due to this we wasted so much money on our own food. Her boyfriend also smoked in the bathroom and the house would reek and I had an allergic reaction to the smoke.
Over all I recommend going to Spain just not through EF. My close friend loved her program and even talks to them today! There are great programs out there- this is not one of them.

Yes. Have basic and detailed policies for staff to follow. Expect staff to report what happens when it happens. Make sure host parents are informed about people's dietary restrictions. Teach your staff not to be rude and teach them about customer service. Also explain how making things up is unprofessional and inappropriate. I hate to say this but some of your staff are clearly immature and don't know what they are doing.
Response from EF International Language Campuses

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your open and honest feedback. I realize you took time out of your day to share and I appreciate it. After more than 50 years of helping students travel the world, happiness, safety, and academic progress are among our top priorities. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than excellent experience with us, especially when it comes to staff or host families. I would love the chance to talk to you more about your course and see if there is anything we can do to make it up to you. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can set up a time to talk?

Thanks again,
Alexis Jungdahl, Admissions Director

No, I don't recommend
Sophie

EF Madrid

I spent a month in Madrid in order to improve my Spanish, but I learned so much more than that! All of the students at EF Madrid were so welcoming, passionate, and intelligent. I made so many close friends; I was not expecting my social experience to be so fulfilling and exciting!
I absolutely fell in love with the city-- Madrid is so beautiful, safe, historical, and accepting. I cannot wait to return in the future!
This experience was unforgettable, and I am so glad that I decided to go to EF Madrid!

I think that the lunch breaks should be a little bit longer-- 40 minutes was sometimes a stretch (LOL)! I also think that it should be made easier for students to advance levels. I was unaware that the tests were only given on Thursdays, so I had only gotten the chance to be in a higher level (the level that I believed was more appropriate for me) for one week out of the four that I was in Madrid.
Heloise

A Wonderful Month with EF Madrid

I spent 4 weeks in Madrid to learn Spanish and honestly, it's been the most wonderful experience in my life. I loved everything about the school : the staff and the teachers were kind and creative, the activities organized by EF were interesting and I always had fun in my classes. The housing was great as well ; my Spanish mom really cared about the students who lived with her.
I also loved the atmosphere of the school : I met dozens of fellow students from around the world and they were all open-minded, nice and eager to learn.
My Spanish improved so much in just a month!!
Muchas gracias a la grande familia de EF Madrid :)

I would have preferred smaller groups, and shorter classes (one hour and twenty minutes without any break can be a lot, even though classes were always interesting!)
Cole

EF Barcelona

My experience with EF in Barcelona was absolutely amazing. I got so much out of it. From improving my Spanish to traveling all over the city, it was definitely the best 2 weeks of my life. I met so many amazing people, some who will be friends for life. Unfortunately I did not have to best host families, and next time I will more than likely stay in the EF residence. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this program to anyone who's considering learning a language abroad. Thank you EF!

More in-depth background checks on host families. The only part that I did not enjoy about my EF trip was my host family/living arrangement. Both host families were terrible.
Matthew

A valuable and worthwhile immersion experience

Being able to travel abroad and spend two weeks in Barcelona was an unforgettable experience. To spend time in a country, surrounded by one's target language and learning skills to practice in the real world is something few get the chance to experience but all should try to do. EF combines an environment of fast, efficient learning with the opportunity to explore the area and practice newly learned skills. EF also teaches the language and cultural skills necessary to travel, barter, communicate colloquially, engage in conversations, and meet new people, giving a well-rounded and wholesome learning experience. I highly recommend EF for anyone interested in learning a language quickly and effectively, while also being able to practice that language in a comfortable, safe environment while also having the freedom to break out of one's comfort zone and be completely immersed in a new culture and language.

The only thing I can think of to improve the program would be to increase the number of classrooms to allow for a more flexible class schedule.
Claire

Malaga 2015 summer

The experience I had in Malaga Spain was not only amazing but very memorable. From the activities to people, everything was great. The funniest parts about being in the program was when you got free time to go places with your friends like into the city for shopping and exploring. It was exciting to be overseas because the culture of the Spanish is completely different from what my own culture is. The foods I got to try were very different and many I wish to have again

give weekly surveys about how people are doing with their host families and if they are making friends easily. When I had a problem with my initial host family, I brought it up to the staff and they helped me change houses but I'm sure that there are other people who are too afraid to speak up.
Sofiane

EF Málaga The Adventures of So´

Before going to Malaga I was in New York and Tokyo so at first I wasn´t really expecting much from the city of Cervantes to be honest. But as soon as I arrived, I realized that this was going to be a lot of fun. The EF school is much smaller than in New York and Tokyo but it´s actually a great point because everybody get together and it´s like we´re a familly. Of course the whole staff is just incredible if you put the effort your spanish skills will increase fast.
Also, the beach is only at 5 minutes by walk from the school and the region of Malaga have so many breathtaking places, natural landscape and iconic places.
Malaga was the perfect place to end this crazy adventure and La Costa Del Sol has nothing to envy to the other places in the world.

Geness

You can relive my memories by reading my review, or you can just go and have your own EF experience!

It's kind of funny because the day before my flight to Barcelona i was actually second guessing my decision to go. Because i planned it within a month and a lot was going on at home and i thought i was running away from my problems. The thing is once i landed in Barcelona i knew i made the right choice. The sphere is great. The people are great. Of course the first two days are the most nerve recking. Meeting my host mom, first day of school and of course all the new people. Especially for someone like me. I mean i hate having to do something new. I like knowing what im getting myself into and i had no clue about what to expect. So hopefully this review helps all future students.

I'll give the 411 on EF Barcelona. What to and what not to expect and of course some advice.

Good or bad first?

Ahh let's do the bad not that long of a list i think.

What not to expect:
1. That everyone will like you. (Rumors spread faster than any disease i know)
2. Teachers to hand feed all the answers.
3. That teachers like it when you speak your first language.
4. That you won't spend a lot of money.

What to expect:
1. Teachers and Staff members are always there to help you
2. I lived with a host family and this depends on the host family because not all are great. But mines was great. Her name was Montse and i had breakfast every morning and dinner every night. Cleaning service every few days. And a great way to practice my spanish outside of the school. I also had a really great roommate from Germany!
3. A lot of new friends and some that may stay in your life for a very long time. I've been gone for about two months now and i still have contact with a lot of the people that i met there.
4. a Great night life! From bars to club to restaurants.
5. Fun in class, well at least i had fun.
6. Fun activities organised by EF. I went on a day trip to Girona and a weekend trip to Valencia. There is also stuff like soccer matches, visiting Camp Nou, bike tours, boat rides, etc.
7. For people that live in countries where they don't have access to a beach or sun. There's plenty in Barca. (Im from an island so that was nothing new to me)
8. If your someone that loves the architectural buildings then Barcelona is the place to be. Thats something i enjoyed the most.
9. School provides you with everything Tech stuff you know computers and what not. There's also a really nice terras where you can enjoy the sun or have lunch. A mini library with some random books haha. Twilight fan? the book is there ;)
10. Meeting people from all over the world! Japan, USA, France, Germany, The Netherlands, and if your lucky someone like me whose from St. Maarten! :)
11. Your spanish improves a lot!!

There's plenty more i can add on this list. But hey i need to leave you future students to experience it for yourselves.

Now some advice:
1. You give 100% you get 100%
2. Do everything!! by that i mean Experience the night life, do the EF activities, your own activities and most of all Go to Class!!
3. Be openminded.
4. Your there to learn spanish so speak the damn language. By that i mean Practice whenever you can. To your host family, in class (very important!! Teacher doesn't like when you speak your native language), in bars, restaurants, you get the picture. Just do it!

I can promise it'll be the best thing you've ever done. Although it was a bit pricey it was the best thing i've ever experienced even if it was just for a month. You won't regret it.

Just go for it :)

Some classes felt a little claustrophobic. I know it's not easy to make a classroom bigger, but for future ideas and renovations ;)
Grace

Not going to EF Barcelona, would be is mistake!

EF Barcelona was the best idea I ever had. A little background, I was coming to Barcelona already having 3 American friends over here. I figured I didn't really need EF activities or other students, and I would just take classes, and just hangout with my American friends.
I saw them twice...

The people I met at EF Barcelona changed my life, at age 22. I learned so much inside and outside of the classroom that I could never thank them for enough. The friends I met at EF Barcelona will remain my friends for a very long time. This program attracts really fun and nice people, who are excited to learn, explore and make memories.

Barcelona is an amazing city. I don't have many other words to describe it, you just need to see it for yourself. Never, have I felt so much love in one city from people I didn't even know. I've never laughed and lived as much as I did in Barcelona.

The staff at EF is what will make your experience. I graduated from a great four year college in the states, and never have I had teachers who cared about me as a person, and about my education like the teachers at EF Barcelona. They are VERY special people who truly care about their students. The staff as well, go out of their way to make sure that you are doing well, and having fun. I still keep in contact with one of my teachers, who became a very dear friend and mentor to me. And a girl who was my age that worked as an EF staff member, became a good friend of mine as well.

I don't have all the right words to tell you how amazing this experience can be. The people of Barcelona are loving and alive, the staff at EF is some of the best people I have ever met, and the other students who became some of my best friends are fun and truly amazing people.

I actually left Barcelona to work at an Outdoor School, and I know that EF ranks as an amazing educational institution.

I PROMISE you, if you have the chance to go to EF Barcelona, you will not regret it. Take my word for it. I wish I could go back every day!

I can't think of one single thing.
Tori

The Most Amazing Experience Ever

The EF Barcelona school is incredible.

You learn the language really fast because the lessons are very interactive and fun and the teachers are very supportive. I learnt way more in the first few weeks in EF Barcelona than I ever did in years or learning the language at school.

Every week there are many optional activities set up which are really good fun. But also, if you want to plan your own trip you can always ask any of the EF staff for recommendations of places to visit, eat, see etc. or advise on the easiest way to get to particular places.

The EF staff are all very friendly, welcoming and very enthusiastic about their city, which I think is really important to a person when they move to study abroad, whether it is for a few weeks or many months. I found that the EF Barcelona School really does feel like a family (...that sounds really cheesy but its true!..).

During my time in Barcelona I have gained so much, friends that will stay with me for life, the ability to speak another language, experiences I will never forget and a confidence and independence I didn't have before. All of which I will take into the next stage of my life.

Thank you EF Barcelona, you have a fantastic city and a really special school.

Gracias por todo....amigos para siempre!

Amelie

La vida es chula - Learning Spanish in Barcelona

Barcelona is not just a city located at the seaside, it is full of history, art, music, good food, incredible people and perfect for escaping ones life.
In Barcelona you find new friends, new experiences and if you are taking it a bit seriously, you even can set the base for another foreign language in only 3 months! Thanks to EF and all the amazing people working there, I not only have a lot of memories I would never want to miss, but I have the possibility to talk to people I would not have understood before! I love practicing at home with my new Spanish friends who are happy to support my improving! So the only thing I have to say is

GRACIAS POR TODO EF BARCELONA! Que tengais muchas estudiantes nuevos que disfruten su tiempo alli! ;)

The program is already on a very high level! The only thing I would have loved to change is the great amount of German speaking students there. But of course this is something which cannot be influenced by anybody....

So if one really wants to learn something and avoid speaking English or, worse, the own mother tongue to often, the only way of doing so is to spend time with students from other countries who are already advanced in Spanish! As I tended to spend my time mostly with Spanish speaking students and staff, I had the chance to learn a lot from them as well!
Pierre-Alexandre

Barcelona, my lovely city and the best city.

My (two) experience in EF Barcelona, i was so good, the staff (personel), school, prof and student are very great. (trip in EF BCN in 2014 : 2 weeks, and 2015 : 7 weeks)

I met so many people and made some great memories. i've grown a lot in those few months is Barcelona.

I loved the trips that the school organized in Costa Brava, Dali museum, Girona, Tarragona, PortAventura, Montserrat, Madrid etc..

I also improved my Spanish significantly and felt comfortable conversing with the locals. Highly reccomend !

But i travel frequently in Barcelona, because for me is the best city in the world, mountains, food, drink, gastronomy, park, culture, fun, art, architecture, nightlife, sun, beach, football, people.

Visnja

An incredible gap-year!

After finishing high school, I decided to take a gap-year and study abroad in Barcelona with EF. I am so happy to say that I could not have made a better decision. Not only did I learn a new language, I also had the opportunity to meet amazing people from all around the world and share this wonderful experience with them.

The lovely teachers and staff are some of the most amazing people I’ve met in my life. From the very first day I could notice how incredibly motived everyone is. They made me feel at home in a place that was entirely new for me.

The classes are so much fun, very interactive and never boring. I’m convinced EF is the best way to learn a foreign language.

I met so many people and made some great memories. I’ve grown a lot in those few months is Barcelona, I’ve become more independent, more sociable and more open-minded.

Muchísimas gracias por todo!

Bernhard

Barcelona - a dream you never want to wake up from...

I decided to go to Barcelona to learn Spanish mainly because it's the home of the best football club in the world, but I learned very quickly that you can find so much more than good football here in the mediterranean city. In fact, there is really almost nothing that Barcelona can't offer you. As a person who has been to quite a few cities, coming to Barcelona immediately let's you feel this special and welcoming vibe that flows through the warm and humid air as you wander around it's charming streets. One of the first things I noticed in comparison to other big cities is the fact that there are trees on both sides of almost every street throughout the whole town, which gives a friendly character to the otherwise urban environment. In general, the city is surprisingly green with a lot of nice parks to relax. Also the beautiful harmony of both traditional architectural styles and modern buildings immediately meets the eye even before landing by plane. Looking out of the aircraft, the first things to notice are the magical Sagrada Familia basilica erupting from the sea of identical housing complexes that is the Eixample district and on the other side of town the modern Agbar tower bathed in it's blue and red colours. One can quickly see that Barcelona is a city of culture and history but nevertheless is constantly evolving and reinventing itself. A perfect harmony of tradition and innovation.

I always tell people who ask me about Barcelona that for me it's a city that has everything! There is really nothing left to wish for in terms of culture, nightlife, art, sports, or any other aspect one might demand from a city. I mean the city ends right at the beach! What more could you want?! :) haha.

When it comes to the EF-language courses I really have to point out that I came to the school without knowing Spanish, but after just three months of classes I was already able to manage normal day to day life in Spanish without a lot of difficulties. The language classes are so different from the normal school lessons I was used to. Exciting interactions and modern teaching methods make the courses fun and you kind of learn the language in a more natural way. The competent teachers are always friendly, helpful and encouraging. The fact that I stayed with a host family also helped immensely since you are forced to talk communicate and practice not only in class but also in real life situations. After my time at EF I decided to study Spanish at university so as you can see EF Barcelona has had a huge impact on me. I loved going to class there and thats not very common right? haha

But the coolest thing apart from learning a new language and getting to know a new culture is the fact that you meet so many people from all over the world, make new friends and build connections around the globe. All the students find themselves more or less in the same situation so you immediately have one thing in common. This experience made me grow so much as a person and is unforgettable for the rest of my life. I can only recommend everybody to choose Barcelona: a city that makes you dream big and still surpasses those dream. A city so enchanting you fall in love with it over and over again.
I come back to BCN as often as I can and every time I walk back into the EF-school it's like coming home. EF will feel like family. And Barcelona will be your second home.

For me this program was perfect... can't think of a thing to complain

About EF International Language Campuses

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language...