In 1989, in partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, Frontier set up a protected marine research park on Mafia Island, a remote and beautiful spice island off the coast of Tanzania. Since then, Frontier volunteers have been at the forefront of conservation and community projects in the area, providing vital research data and community development initiatives.
Tanzania's coast is home to some of the most spectacular diving in the world, and the local people, although poor, are incredibly welcoming. This makes Tanzania one of the most rewarding places to volunteer in, whether you want to work in conservation or teaching, or simply want to have a great time while giving something back to the community you are living in.
Our most popular projects on Mafia Island include:
- Tanzania Marine Conservation & Diving - Crystal clear waters host a wealth of marine habitats and wildlife, making this a perfect location to learn to scuba dive and explore this pristine and magical underwater world.
- Tanzania Teaching & Beaches - Change the lives of those around you for the better and leave a legacy that will last for decades to come on Mafia Island, a true tropical paradise.
- Tanzania Dive, Teach & Wildlife Adventure - Explore the best of this East African destination – dive in heavenly waters, enjoy tracking native wildlife and teach in a rural school or community education program.
You can also see what our volunteers and adventurers in Tanzania are doing right now on our project updates blog.
To apply for any of our projects, just click on the orange “Apply Now” button on the Frontier websiteand fill in the short application form. One of our volunteer advisors will then give you a call back to answer any questions that you have.
- Gain skills and knowledge required for a sure start in a conservation career
- Help to monitor & conserve African wildlife
- Work closely with local villagers
- Live on the stunning Mafia Island