Volunteer in Tanzania - Diving, Teaching, Conservation & Adventure from $255

In 1989, in partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, Frontier set up a protected marine research park on Mafia Island, a remote and beautiful spice island off the coast of Tanzania. Since then, Frontier volunteers have been at the forefront of conservation and community projects in the area, providing vital research data and community development initiatives.

Tanzania's coast is home to some of the most spectacular diving in the world, and the local people, although poor, are incredibly welcoming. This makes Tanzania one of the most rewarding places to volunteer in, whether you want to work in conservation or teaching, or simply want to have a great time while giving something back to the community you are living in.

Our most popular projects on Mafia Island include:

• Tanzania Marine Conservation & Diving - Crystal clear waters host a wealth of marine habitats and wildlife, making this a perfect location to learn to scuba dive and explore this pristine and magical underwater world.
  • Tanzania Teaching & Beaches - Change the lives of those around you for the better and leave a legacy that will last for decades to come on Mafia Island, a true tropical paradise.
  • Tanzania Dive, Teach & Wildlife Adventure - Explore the best of this East African destination – dive in heavenly waters, enjoy tracking native wildlife and teach in a rural school or community education program.

You can also see what our volunteers and adventurers in Tanzania are doing right now on our project updates blog.

To apply for any of our projects, just click on the orange “Apply Now” button on the Frontier websiteand fill in the short application form. One of our volunteer advisors will then give you a call back to answer any questions that you have.

• Gain skills and knowledge required for a sure start in a conservation career
  • Help to monitor & conserve African wildlife
  • Work closely with local villagers
  • Live on the stunning Mafia Island

Becca
No, I don't recommend this program

In country staff are fantastic but london are unhelpful.

I have volunteered twice with Frontier, once on the adventure project in Madagascar as my first big trip after school and once in Tanzania on the dive project. In both trips I undoubtedly learned a lot and made many good friends with those on camp but I couldn't help get the feeling that someone was 'off'. The more time I spent with the organisation, the more I learned that generally the staff in field are great but London seemed not only unhelpful but also inept.

In both places but particularly in Tanzania the accommodation was basic, makuti (woven palm leaf) structures with open doors, termites and spiders as roommates. There were two temperamental solar panels on camp and the kitchen was made of makuti. Considering that the project has been situated there for at least 5 years, numerous people have requested improvements -- and given that volunteers pay for these experiences -- I am still shocked that the accommodation has not improved.

Undoubtedly I learned a lot from my experiences, as someone now involved with other international developments and NGOs most of what I took away was what I kind of organisation I never wanted to be involved in. My review may seem biased but a quick google search will tell you a lot.

I did enjoy my time on projects, but 100% this was due to the hard work and attentiveness of in-country staff, as an organisation I would now not touch them with a barge poll. I would not recommend them to any individual as there are hundreds of more useful ways to benefit communities in other parts of the world. If i did have to give advice to anyone looking to volunteer in the future it would be to consider WHY you are volunteering. If it is to travel and meet cool people. 100% go with Frontier, but if you want to benefit a community in a supported environment do not. Have a look at the Sustainable Development Goals set out by the UN and judge for yourself whether this organisation really has something useful to offer to the community within which it operates.

Location:
Julius Nyerere International
( DAR )
Kilimanjaro International
( JRO )

Tanzania can be an easy place to overlook when planning a trip to Africa, but it is teeming with wildlife, lush landscapes, culture. You will witness all of those from the wildebeest migrations, 3 of the 7 natural wonders, and Maasai people.

About Frontier

A world of possibilities awaits you with Frontier. You could be spending memorable days scuba diving off the brilliant white sand beaches of Fiji or discovering Madagascar on a conservation project with lemurs and chameleons. Frontier has over 300...