Gap Year Around the World with A+ World Academy

A+ World Academy students learning sailing techniques and theory
A+ World Academy students learning sailing techniques and theory
A+ World Academy Students tugging away at their lines
A+ World Academy Students tugging away at their lines
The A+ World Academy home, the majestic Sørlandet!
The A+ World Academy home, the majestic Sørlandet!
A+ World Academy friends for life
A+ World Academy friends for life

A+ World Academy has one of the most unique programs settings in the world. We give 62 students from all over the globe (+10 nationalities onboard) the opportunity to complete 11th-12th grade or gap year aboard the world’s oldest fully rigged tall ship! During their time with us students learn to sail our incredible vessel, taking her to over 20 different destinations throughout the year. All the while, students are studying and have the option of taking AP level classes. Gap year students have the flexibility to pick the subjects that they want and do not have to take all subject matters.

Our program is truly one of a kind and our students learn just as much outside of the classroom as they do within it. Our students are experiencing a rigorous maritime endeavor, close-knit communal living, study in foreign lands, and personal mentoring that cultivates their self-knowledge, and leadership far beyond that of more traditional schools and programs.

• Travel to over 20 incredible destinations on 4 different continents throughout the academic year
  • Learn to sail the world's oldest fully rigged tall ship. No prior sailing experience is necessary, even those who have sailed would be learning something new as our vessel is one of a kind. Get official seamanship training on board
  • Meet and live among students from all over the world and learn about each others' cultures
  • Take AP® level courses and challenge yourself academically (AP® Capstone Diploma also available)

Camila

Gap year at sea

It was the best experience of my life. I learned so much about other people, about other places and cultures. I made real and long lasting friendships and discovered so much of the world. It was hard to get used to the living conditions at first since it was a new and very different environment but I wouldn't change anything. If I could I would do it all over again, no second thoughts. This experiences thought me how to be patient and to accept others the way they are. Most people were so different from me, even physically, I had to get used to hearing a new language all over, speaking English all the time and just accepting that everyone has a different culture. Learning all the sailing things is the best, try a participate in everything from the beginning (unless you get seasick) and try and become friends with the crew, they're great people. In this year I found what I wanted to do with my life, in college specifically, and my friends helped me a lot when someone in my family got very sick. These people are still present for me even though we live in different countries and even continents. The friendships you make during this year will be forever so do your best.

About A+ World Academy

A+ World Academy is one of the most unique international boarding schools in the world. We give 62 11th and 12th grade students as well as gap year students the opportunity to take Advanced Placement courses in a school at sea that travels the globe...