This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Jakera.
Jakera | Traveling Classroom: Learn Spanish, Travel and Volunteer -- CLOSED

Jakera | Traveling Classroom: Learn Spanish, Travel and Volunteer -- CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Jakera.
New start dates - owing to popular demand for 2017 we have are more start dates for all our programs including our 6 week Learn Spanish & Volunteer program.

Our award winning action packed Traveling Classroom program is a unique blend of learning Spanish, travelling adventure and volunteer projects. Based in a beautiful country of huge diversity with golden palm fringed beaches, exotic jungles, spectacular and mysterious mountains, ancient indigenous cultures and the beat of exotic Latino! This program is based at our Caribbean Lodge on one of Venezuela's best beaches, Playa Colorada in Mochima National Park and you take adventure travel expeditions while learning Spanish. There are seven start dates each year and you can enroll for 8,12 or 24 weeks OR if you have less time, we also run 3, 4 & 5 week versions of this program (same start dates).

South America » Venezuela
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Primary Language
Included - Pre-departure Support / 24 hour Emergency Number in Europe / Airport Transfers / Accomodation / Breakfast & Dinner (plus lunch when on expedition) / Spanish lessons - 8 wk program 100 hours, 12 wk program 150 hours, 24 wk program 180 hours / Course Materials / All trips & excursions, equipment and guides including sea kayaking, climbing, abseil, snorkelling, trekking / Permits / Flight from Canaima to La Paragua at end of week 22

Kristín
Iceland

Amazing adventure in Venezuela

I have now been here for 3 months now and wow has it flown by fast! This program is a wonderful way to see Venezuela and also a great way to find adventure and have fun. The thing I liked most was that you had so many chanses to challange yourself and do things you thought you never could. I would recomend this program to anyone!

Stephanie
Merida, Venezuela
Coventry University

Fantastic Way to See Venezuela in 3 Months

The 12 week Travelling Classroom is a whirlwind of experiences, and I had a great time seeing everything that Venezuela has to offer. Coming directly through Jakera is an ideal way to visit a country that has such tumultous reviews surrounding it. With Jakera, if you use your common sense, you will be safe. In my 12 weeks in the country I have done so many things; sea kayaking in Mochima, abseiling down a waterfall, climbing Cerro Negro in Caripe, flown to Canaima to see the staggering Angel Falls, camped for almost two weeks in Gran Sabana, summitted Roraima on six day trek, kayaked for a week and stayed with the Warao in the Orinico Delta, came to Merida and did paragliding, safari in Los Llanos, tubing, and finally travelled to Lake Maracaibo to see the lightning phenomenon at Catutumbo. I feel like I´ve got to know the country so well in these three months, and it has been a pleasure.

Having travelled solo in South America previously I sometimes found the program stifling - in Playa Colorada there is much to do and little options to do things on your own. However in Merida you have all the freedom you want. Also, relationship between staff and students should be re-evaluated in Playa, as I experienced much rudeness on occasion for breaking a rule, and later felt like this particular member of staff had a bee in their bonnet for me throughout the rest of my program, which felt very petty for what it was. If you prefer to do your own thing and don´t like the feeling of being in a school, maybe avoid. Otherwise, Jakera was great for what I had set out to do.

Arturo
Paris, France

Good experience, I Discovered the city and improve my spanish

The experience was great.
The city of Merida is safe and there is a lot of activities to do.
The staff in Merida is relly professional and competent and always here to help you.
I improved a lot my spanish for 2 weeks.
The only problem I had was to get to the city because it was a holiday period there was no plane to get there and I didn t know before booking my trip (I should be advised).
The other point I want to mention is the food : pasta almost everyday....and sometimes the noise at midnight...
In general It was good experience.

*Improve the food ( the diner)

Frida
Stockholm

Travelling Classroom of spring 2007

I went to Jakera with no idea what was waiting.. Today, 8 years later, this is still the best experience of my life and its the first one i mention when someone asks me about my greatest experience. I still keep in contact with several of my fellow classmates and we have so many good memories together. I will not say it was easy, but that was also the charm.

Frída
Iceland

Venezuelan adventure - as good as it gets

I came to Venezuela with no knowledge of the country or the Spanish language. I leave with a smile on my face with new experience and a brand new language to learn even more about this amazing culture.

In this trip we travelled around the whole country, into woodlands and high mountains, carried our stuff in backpacks, slept in tents and hammocks under clear night sky and under roofs with the rain in our ears, drove around in the Green truck, jumped off cliffs and swam in the ocean, ate great food and drank a lot of beers and Cuba libres. Not saying this trip was easy, but I definitely learnt a lot about myself and how to stay in a group, how to stand by my opinion and enjoying the moment. Made friends for life and experience useful for whatever I will do in the future.

Couple of things:

Make sure you bring enough cash for everything (US Dollars), the staff in the office knows how much you will need. There are some additional trips (Angel falls and the trip to Isla Margarita is a must do), money transfer to here is not much fun. Dont expect to take money out of the cashier while staying in Venezuela because of poor exchange rate.

Bring A LOT of mosquito repellent, all vitamins and medicines you usually use, painkillers and everything you consider a regular thing in your home country. These days you can't find certain things in stores (medicine, mosquito repellent, and even simple things as milk and diapers..... The list is long)

Remember to bring a waterproof bag for all your electronics! And a good cover for your phone or camera for use while on the mountains or in the sea! And headphones.

Make sure you taste coco frío on the beach. They are amazing.

It would be good to simplify the staff and try to prevent personal problems of the staff of interrupting with the students experience.

Rebecca
Heidelberg

Travelling with Jakera

2013 I stayed 8 weeks in Venezuela with Jakera, which was a great experience!! What I liked most, was that the Jakera team was very flexibel and always tried to make everyone happy! I think Playa colorada was the best place to get to know the country and the spanish language. I enjoyed the wonderful beaches over there and met a lot of lovely people from all over the world!!!!
Later I went to Merida, where I could continue my language studies more intensely and also made experiences in travelling in other parts of the country by myself.

Thank you for everything!!!! best wishes from Germany

I think it would have been a good Information if anybody had told me before I came to Venezuela that I would need cash and not a credit card!!

Amy
United Kingdom
Cardiff Metropolitan University

Travelling classroom

I really enjoyed the travelling classroom experience in Venezuela and I would recommend it to anyone! The staff were all so friendly and I felt settled very quickly. I particularly liked the kayaking trips and thought it was a great way to see the surroundings. The Spanish classes were also brilliant thanks to our amazing Spanish teacher. My favourite lessons had to be when we had them at the beach. It was a great way to learn another language and nothing like school!
All in all it was an amazing 3 months and I would love to return one day!

Andrea
Bern
Abat Oliba CEU University

Recommends Andrea Mader

Over all it was a really good experience! I had a great time and definitelz enjoyed the 12 Week TC Programm. Just some points that might have to emprove.

- It would be really nice to have a better list what to bring. Mabye it is possible to send that to the organisation in Switzerland (Linguista)

- It would be also good to inform the people better about what is included and what not. (for example that you have to pay the taxi when you dont leave at the same day the programm ends or pay to wash your cloths)

- It would be good to say in advanced that paypal is almost the only way to get money so people can open an account

- It would be nice to know that there is no internet the first 2 months (its is not a problem for the people but for the families back home because they expect that you write an e-mail when you arrived. If they know that there is no internet they dont wait and are not worried)

- The organisation was most of the time really good! Mabye its possible that you inform the people better about the fligth options (for example Liliana booked a flight for me from Barcelona to Caracas and then Mercedes had to change it for me because I fly from El Vigia to Caracas of corse because I'm in Merida)

Mabye if you would offer a 4 Months Programm because it would be nice to stay 2 months in Playa Colorada and do all the traveling and Spanish clases and then stay 2 months in Merida. 1 Month in Merida is really short if you do Volonteering and Spanish clases because there are so many things to see and you dont have the chance to do it all in one month.

Charlie
London
Oxford Brookes University

Jakera

I was at Jakera for 6 weeks over the Christmas and new year of 2023-14 and was working in the camp. When I arrived in venezelua I was taken aback by the place, having tracked other parts of South America and Africa it was nothing like what I expected. On arriving I started to work in the local community centre that Jakera had set up to engage with the local community. After about a week I fel in love with the coutry, the easy going lifestyle and the warmth of the locals. Even tho like any country their are safety issues I did not in outer any misfortune whilst on my trip. The saftey procedures set up by Jakera mean that you are safe, and their relationship with the local community is dud deep in the the recent history and their is mutual respect from both sides. Moving on, the countryside and the scenery are just stunning. Some of he most inspiring and beautiful places I have ever seen. One of the highlights for my trip was visiting angle falls. This journey was mythical and something that I will never forget. But be wait it isn't your usual tourist trail, it is an adventure to get to it. I would recommend Venezuela to anyone wanting to have a full blown experience of South America, to me it is the wonders of laying culture and scenery with the easy going carabeian lifestyle. My highlights of the trip were watching the sun rise on the beach with a fresh coconut every morning . I would certainly go back and would recommend Jakera as they are the best suited for milking every last gem out of this wonderful place.

I wasn't on a program, but I didn't hear a bad word against the place whilst I was their. They take feed back and revolve the program around you as and when you want it to a degree and is verry flexible to suit your needs but also have a structured core where you are guaranteed to Lear Spanish with exes lent teachers and a intensive but exciting course where you learn a skill and I incorporate it in to your program.

Zoe
Ireland

Fantastic experience!

Venezuela is a spectacular country but without Jakera I don't think I would have gained half as much out of the experience. On top of learning Spanish, I now know how to salsa dance and a lot more about Venezuelan culture than I did before.
Jakera has very experienced staff members - very friendly and helpful! They know about the places they are guiding so you are always learning!

Jakera is a unique company because they do not get the plane to Angel Falls, they hike! They are the only company who does this and they are also the only company who kayaks down the Orinoco Delta river. It was challenging but equally an unforgettable challenge, learning to live on the bare necessities of life. One totally worth doing! There are lots of mosquitos, no plumbing or electricity in the Delta - all part of the experience! I took anti - malarial's but I was told that I shouldn't have taken them. It is entirely up to you.

Venezuela has a reputation for being dangerous but if you are careful and follow the rules you will have no problems. Don't bring bags out, don't wear clothing that draws attention to yourself and don't wear obvious jewelry. Simple rules that will increase the amount you gain from the experience if you follow.

If you want to travel Venezuela, travel with Jakera! This company has all the ingredients for an incredible experience and they will ensure you get the most out of your travels in Venezuela.

I honestly don't know - no mosquitos maybe?

Katie
London, England

TC

Every day we would wake up reasonably early with a delicious breakfast made by the staff and with a different person helping each day.
We would have some intense, helpful spanish lessons every day, with some free time to do what we like which mainly included going to the beach or the nearest town! We were also taken on many trips throughout our time there, which we were always briefed on and kept well informed about. These included kyaking, a trip to the delta, lots of hiking, water sports, climbing etc.
The highlight had to be all the trips and meeting so many new people and socialising. Only difficulty initially was the language barrier which was soon not a problem after our spanish lessons

I really honestly can't think of anything i would want to change.

Aleida
Bleskensgraaf, Holland

Traveling Classroom 2010

2 years ago I joined this program. And I had a blast there. We had an amazing group of people from all over the world and together we've seen loads of the country. We've been kayaking, hiking, and done loads of roadtrips. Everyday we had 2 hours of lesson on Spanish. You were put in a group according on how far your knowledge of Spanish is. And had some amazing local teachers to learn it to you.

Jakera have been running student programs and delivering travel solutions to clients around the Caribbean and South America since the mid 1990’s. In 2012 we completed a long planned project to bring our student clients to Cuba (we first traveled to Cuba in 2003).

We