CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Gaborone, Botswana – Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

See everything from antelope to zebras as you explore the desert, grasslands, and deltas of one of Africa’s most remote regions, teeming with wildlife. Alongside an expert guide and conservationist, you’ll learn firsthand how people in Botswana are studying and protecting wildlife and ecosystems.

Botswana is one of Africa’s most beautiful and biodiverse countries and it has a strong economy built on diamond mining and tourism. But you won't feel like a tourist. You’ll camp in pristine parks, meet and spend time with Botswanans, and get a feel for wildlife research and habitat restoration. You’ll gain real-world scientific and wildlife surveying skills, plus knowledge about Africa and a level of self-confidence you could never get in a classroom.

Amy

Botswana Review

My experience was unique because of the people I had the pleasure of meeting and befriending. Some advice I'd have for future participants is to prepare for your host family experiences more. This has impacted my life post-program by giving me new connections across the country and across the globe and by influencing my choice in major (I've chosen Environmental Analysis) in college. My favorite memories are at the campsites with my friends. It was a really great group of people because everyone is passionate about the focus of the trip, conservation/ecology and are adventurous and excited. Some more specific memories are going to the mall with my host family, early morning safaris and exploring with my friends.

More bonding time or activities!
Cameron

Once in a Lifetime!

This trip was an amazing experience. Not only did I get to visit a unique, beautiful, new country but I made so many friends, with my group and locals fro Botswana. My leaders were incredibly supportive and made me feel comfortable and safe throughout my whole experience. They were very attentive everyones needs and were very knowledgable and experienced. The wildlife was by far the best part. All of the wonderful animals we saw continue to inspire and amaze me. I highly recommend this trip to someone who loves animals and adventure and has maybe already had some international travel experience. I also recommend investing in a nice camera, it doesn't have to be a DSLR but you will definitely want it to remember your trip.

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...