Sustainable Summer: Study Abroad Program in The Amazon

Sustainable Summer: Study Abroad Program in The Amazon

Few places are as critical to the overall health of our planet as the Amazon rainforest. Come to Ecuador’s exotic ‘Oriente’ and immerse yourself in the majesty of the jungle and the indigenous people that live in it. You’ll volunteer with an NGO that is working with local farmers to develop guayusa tea leaf collectives for export to the US; consider political solutions to natural resource management in a global context; and examine the ecological impacts of our global hunger for non-renewable resources.

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
• Volunteering with a local NGO to support sustainable economic development
• Whitewater rafting on the Rio Jatunyacu and biking the Ruta de las Cascadas
• Visiting chakras, the “forest gardens” of the indigenous Kichwa people
• Basking in the spray of some of Ecuador’s most impressive waterfalls

South America » Ecuador » Amazon
Hotel

Julianne
Orlando

Amazing Trip!

This was a wonderful experience with very knowledgeable and amiable staff and similarly delightful, like-minded students. We traveled throughout the Amazon and saw mountains, gorgeous waterfalls, and enjoyed many jungle hikes. The housing and food (lots of vegetarian options) were generally very good quality and the Ecuadorian guides that we had at each location were all a lot of fun and were extremely knowledgeable. We got to have a lot of very neat experiences (including white water rafting and milking cows!!!) and our group culture was very fun and respectful. Our leaders taught us a number of games and we would simply enjoy spending time with each other while traveling or before going to bed each night. The staff was also well aware of our safety and I never really felt that our activities or practices were endangering in any way.
This program, despite its name, did not focus on environmental issues quite as much as I had expected. We did go to several hydroelectric projects and discussed the implications of those, but besides that, environmentalism was typically only mentioned in our evening discussions and we didn't focus on it or learn quite as much as I had been hoping. Besides that, the Sustaining the Amazon trip was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Anneliese
New Jersey

Once-in-a-lifetime Experience

Venturing through the dense layers of the Amazon forest, engaging in lively and scholarly conversations with the local Kichwa people, and examining the impact of our nation's thirst for non-renewable resources, I discovered my future passion for environmental science.
This summer, I set a goal to learn more about the world and myself. Sustainable Summer fully helped me achieve this goal. Myself, along with thirteen other students, left behind our indulgent, urbanized lifestyles and traveled to Ecuador to expand our knowledge of sustainability. The result was an unforgettable experience- emphasized by the helpful leaders, amazing accommodations, exciting activities, and intriguing lessons. Furthermore, the program allowed me to experience what a career in environmental science would entail, and supported my belief this would be a suiting career for me.
Sustainable Summer was honestly one of the best experiences of my life, and I can only hope others are able to experience this amazing opportunity.

Sustainable Summer is a unique learning experience designed to prepare today's high school students to become tomorrow's environmental leaders. Our programs combine environmental education in remarkable places - such as an organic farm in Costa Rica or Ecuador's Amazon rainforest - with leadership development and