Medical Shadowing for High School Students

High school students medical shadowing
High school students medical shadowing

This is a dedicated program exclusively for students aged 16-18 to gain observational hospital work experience shadowing doctors in the Dominican Republic. You'll be mentored alongside two or three other high school students by a medical doctor to get you as close to the front line of clinical medicine and surgery as safely possible.

Accommodation is provided in our own purpose-designed guesthouse, where you'll stay with other students from around the world with 24-hour support and supervision from our hospitality team.

• 40+ hours shadowing a doctor
  • Exclusive to students aged 16-18
  • Accommodation included
  • 24-hour supervision

Isabella

The Best Experience of My Life

I have been interested in the medical field for most of my life so when I found Global Pre Meds I was ecstatic! When I first left from California I was so nervous that I wouldn’t make any friends or that it may not be as good as I was expecting... I was SO wrong. When I first arrived EVERYONE was so friendly and welcoming it was lovely. I stayed for two weeks and everyday was so magical. I was able to go into the operating rooms and watch one or more surgeries everyday which I absolutely loved. All the mentors were so informative and helped me learn so much. I was able to watch and do things like casting a friends arm, that I would have never been able to do in the US and I will forever remember that! The way healthcare works in the Dominican Republic changed the way I think about medicine and underdeveloped countries which will always stick with me. I made life long friends and had the best experience of my life. The surgeries I was able to see we’re AMAZING! I wish I could’ve gone longer. Every person on the Global Pre Meds staff in the Dominican Republic and in the UK were so friendly and helpful! My experience wouldn’t be the same without them. While The medical procedures I saw were life changing, the activities we did after leaving the hospital were just as life changing. We had beach time, ATV riding, island cruises and so much more. I had the best experience of my life with some of the most amazing people i’ve ever met. I continue to talk about and use my experiences back home all the time. Thank you so much Global Pre Meds for the best experience of my life!!! I can’t wait to book another trip!!

Zena

Medical Shadowing in the Dominican Republic wit Global Pre-Meds

This experience was hands-down the most amazing two weeks of my life. The experience of shadowing hospitals in a foreign country is so valuable because I learned how different the health care system is compared to what I am used to. More importantly, I got to experience first hand what my dream profession would be like through shadowing incredibly talented mentors, as well as getting a feel for working in a hospital environment. Not only did I learn about medical procedures, medical conditions, etc., but I also learned a lot about which future profession truly suits me. I also made life-long friends with awesome like-minded people on this trip, and I will never forget the memories we made together. Aside from our shadowing placements in the hospital, we had the opportunity to experience Dominican culture through fun activities and excursions such as trips to the beach, ATVs, and a sunset cruise. This trip was the perfect blend of a valuable, academic shadowing experience and a fun, cultural immersion with amazing people.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was most afraid of going into this program without knowing anyone else I would be meeting, and I was not sure how easily I would fit in with everyone else. I overcame it by actively getting to know everyone, which made me realize I should not have been scared in the first place because the people I met were very like-minded and we all got along incredibly well.
Read my full story
Ciara

Unique and valuable experience

The Global Pre Meds experience leaves you fully appreciating the struggles a less economically developed country faces when it comes to medicine. The opportunity to shadow doctors in a variety of departments and explore the differences in treatment options for patients in the country compared to your own is incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed my placement, had lots of fun during the placement as well as in the activities. The staff are incredible from the moment they pick you up from the airport to saying goodbye. The rooms vary in size, normally sharing with 4/5 other people. There is always a night supervisor and security surrounding the house. The food is very good with plenty of options each night. After placement, there is a variety of fun activities such as a sunset cruise, horse riding, roller skating etc. Overall it was a very valuable experience as it is a great to talk about at interviews, whilst giving you extra work experience!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay for 2 weeks instead of 1. This would give me more chance to see private and public hospitals for comparison. I just went to the public hospital.
Olivia

Dominican Republic Nursing Placement

I spent 2 weeks in DR on placement for nursing in July and they were possibly the 2 best, and most formative, weeks of my life! I learnt a lot about my dream career and about myself as I spent time shadowing nurses providing primary care to very ill patient in the ER; watching nurses as they performed essential daily duties such as administering medication and vaccinations; and observing various surgeries including multiple c-sections and hernia removals! My hospital mentors were great and really helped to answer my questions and get me the most out of my time in the hospital. One highlight for me was a workshop lead by one particular mentor where we learnt (and practiced) how to suture using a pigs foot. I felt like a proper nurse!! Outside of the hospital, there were always loads of activities on offer. I went on the Saona Island day trip as well and doing ATV driving and getting my nails done with my friends- there really is something for everyone! However, my favourite afternoons were often the ones I spent reading by the pool or playing ‘water volleyball’ with my new friends. The people definitely made the experience for me. I am from Northern Ireland, but I now have friends from America, Canada, Spain, Greece... the list goes on. The staff were also really amazing- from lovely Tom who answered my every question from the day I signed up to the day I left, to Traben and Jess who became friends and people I could trust and talk to. Thank you Global Pre- Meds!!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely make sure I took time by myself from day 1. Going from never knowing the people you are with to then being with them 24/7 is difficult. Some of the stuff you have to deal with on placement is emotionally very difficult and you need to take time to process this. More practically, you will be exhausted!! Placement is very full on and you’ll be busy pretty much every day- you need a break sometimes to regroup and think about what you are learning and that is ok!

Location:
Las Américas International
( SDQ )
Cibao International
( STI )

The Dominican Republic shares the island Hispaniola with Haiti (the DR is to the right, Haiti to the left), and is a hot spot for beaching, staying at resorts, and living a Caribbean lifestyle. Close to Miami, with a diverse population and Creole cuisine, this island is a popular tourist destination filled with all sorts of adventures.

Alumni Interviews

About Global Pre-Meds

Formally known as Gap Medics, Global Pre-Meds provides opportunities for students from America and around the world to shadow doctors in working hospitals in the Caribbean. Programs include a minimum 40 hours clinical shadowing time, and...