High School Summer Abroad in Guanajuato, Mexico

More than a mile up in the mountains of central Mexico, CIEE will take your language skills to new heights. Against a beautiful backdrop, you’ll improve your Spanish by leaps and bounds while taking part in meaningful interactions with the community.

You’ll spend most mornings at CIEE’s Study Center, building your Spanish language skills with one of our expert language professors. After class you’ll hang with the locals, taking part in fun, organized activities with Spanish high school students. Play futbol, try your hand at weaving or pottery, and take a class in Mexican cuisine taught by a renowned chef.

College credit option is available for this program; see our site for details.

Emma

New Experiences

When I first signed up for this program, I was nervous about it because I had never traveled out of the country by myself, and I had never been away from home for a month. Taking the leap to fly to Mexico with a group of other teens from around the states was the best choice that I have ever made, and I have no regrets. I grew so close to the other students that traveled with me, and I advanced my Spanish more than I could have in any class in the states. My host family took me in like I was part of their own, and I even grew close with my friend's host family. After doing this program I feel like I have a wider, clearer view of the world as a whole, and I am inspired to try more new things and travel at every chance that I get. The main tip that I could give to anyone considering doing this program is: take the leap, you will not regret it.

More games.
Naomi

Enriching

In every aspect, my life was enriched due to this program and trip. I gained a better understanding of a language that is in my DNA, met life-long friends, and experienced true independence and responsibility. The classes were beneficial, from in classroom to real world experience, and the excursions were amazing. A program I would, and do recommend to my fellow classmates. The trips couldn't have been any longer because each excursion was so fun. I also appreciated the first day aid and awareness over potential homesickness to come in the trip. They ensured that we knew what to do in instances such as that.

It could try harder to put students in the programs they listed they were interested in.
Samantha

My Guanajuato Experience

My experience traveling to Guanajuato, Mexico with CIEE was truly extraordinary- so much so that I convinced many of my friends to travel with CIEE and they all had incredible experiences as well. I still regularly speak with my host family, who are some of the most amazing people I have met in my life. Last summer, 2 years after my month in Guanajuato, one of my friends I met there came and stayed at my house for week (just to give you an understanding of the friendships made on the trip). I always felt completely safe, the teachers, program leaders, and families are inexplicably kind and welcoming and make a seemingly scary experience so worthwhile. At the age of 16 I was able to say I’d traveled to the ancient pyramids of Teotihuacan, walked around the home of Frida Kahlo, and practiced my Spanish with average citizens on the streets of beautiful Guanajuato. I cannot emphasize enough how incredible this experience was, both in improving my Spanish and my character overall. I strongly, strongly recommend this program to everyone!

My only complaint was that I didn’t get to stay there longer! But I could have chosen a different time frame had I known how incredible the experience would be. Another small suggestion would be to work out some of the kinks with the cell phones we are given because mine never worked.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Samantha, thank you for your review. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your summer program with us! Your feedback is very important and helps us improve our students’ experiences abroad. We’re sorry to hear you had technical issues with your phone. We encourage anyone experiencing technical difficulties to let the staff know so that it can be addressed as quickly as possible.

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...