CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Seville, Spain – Digital Filmmaking & Documentary

People across Spain are embracing all types of media in novel ways to build social awareness and advance causes. Working with CIEE professors, you and your peers will uncover powerful social forces at work in Spain, Europe, and even your own country.

You’ll live and learn in the beautiful Andalusian city of Seville. A vibrant location of three UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Seville has a rich cultural heritage and landmark art and architecture. Explore Seville’s cultural fabric by visiting shops, markets, and cafés while practicing your Spanish conversational skills.

Your local host family will be your home base during your stay. Together you’ll prepare and share meals, go shopping, learn local customs, and enjoy family routines and recreation. This is also a valuable way to get insight into how family members use and interact with new and traditional media.

Europe » Spain » Seville
Europe » Spain
Program Categories
See site for more details regarding cost.
Global Navigator Scholarships – available only through CIEE – make it easier for you and hundreds of other U.S. high school students to gain an edge from international exchange each summer. Scholarships range from 10 to 100 percent of the cost of tuition of your Global Navigator High School summer program. They are awarded based on a combination of financial need and merit. Merit is evaluated based on your transcript, GPA, and the quality of your application.

Gianna
New York
John F. Kennedy University

Ciee Experience

It had its highs and lows but overall it was a really good experience. The trip had moments of being a very scary experience (getting lost in a big city, getting int a car accident, losing your phone) but it has also given me amazing experiences like meeting people in Sevilla, It has broadened my horizons, finding amazing new discoveries and helping me connect with people further than where I live

More free time

Aniya
Sevilla Spain

Ciee Sevilla Spain

This program truly has helped me grow as a person. It has allowed me to learn Spanish better while meeting new friends. I want future participants to know to be optimistic and have hope. Also they need to know that not every part of the trip will be fun. My favorite memory is Granada because it was fun and showed the many different cultures in Spain. I really enjoyed the program and and learned a lot from it.

Cassandra
Sevilla

I Love CIEE

This program changed my life I view things very different now that I know that there is more in the world than my little town. My experience was unique because I made sure to make the most of my time here and not everyone did that. When we would go out to eat I would make sure we were going to a traditional Spanish restaurant. I got lost a few times but it was a fun experience that everyone should enjoy.

This program can be improved by having less walking tours and maybe more activities where your doing hands on activities. Also the ITCs are not very useful to me and I think something else similar should be substituted for them.

Leila
Seville

Visiting a New Place

I have been traveling to Hungary for every year of my life, so I am used to changing cultures every year. When I got to Sevilla I was pretty confident that I wouldn't be influenced by culture shock too much. In many eayd the appearance of the city and the people seemed very similar to Hungary. However the language and night life of Sevilla are different from anything I have experienced before. I think I have adjusted pretty well to my surroundings, and i will be very sad to leave Sevilla, because now I am totally used to this way of life now. Although it is similar in ways to Hungary, the differences hete make being here in Sevilla a unique and irreplaceable experience for me.

Provide more information about what will be happening in the program prior to departure.

Anne stewart
Charlotte Nc

Review

I think this trip was good for me.!:) I think I learned a lot about myself and who I am as a person. I had a hard time with my first host family but after getting my second host family I feel better. I really liked my teacher because she was nice to me and taught me a lot about Spanish. I feel like I really approved with my Spanish by learning from her and leaving in this city. I made a lot of
New friends who I hope I can see all year around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By checking out the host families more!!!

Tamia

CIEE Global Discovery

I think that the Ciee global discorvery program was an awsome program. For the usage of what we had we made the most out of the opertunity and the staff were outstanding. I have no complaints and can honestly say that i have grown as a student and a person. I would strongly recomend others to participate in the program if they could and to make sure to make the most of it. I have made so many new friends and learned so much i am so happy to have had the opertunity to met so many wonderful people.

I think that there is room for improvment in no other area excpet for devices. I think that the usage of diferent devices and lack of accessibilty to certain things in a way limited the runing of the program slighty.

Lauren
Seville, Spain

Filmmaking Summer Abroad Session One

Communication between the program and the students were relatively poor throughout the trip. Of course there were a few program leaders who tried their best to make what they intented clear, but overall the communication was not good at all. This lack of communication was the root of a long of negativity and problems during the trip (such as several students being left behind on accident) . While I appreciate the excursions, I do wish that when we returned back to Seville after each trip we were given a day to rest and recouperate. Many other students were extremely physically tired and mentally exhasted (which affected the whole performance of the day). Class (for the film students) was fantastic and the teacher, Carlos was extremely helpful and a wonderful teacher. However, class time could have been put in a more convenient time. We had class from 6pm to 9pm, and given seista free (from 2pm to 6pm). However, since class ended so late , the students had little time to themselves and everything was closed. By the end of the day after dinner or spending time with their host family, the students would sleep around 12am or 1am. Overall the students were fantastic, but I would not recommend this program again.

Definately improve the communication between students and staff. I would suggest that the class time should be around 2pm to 5pm for convenience and efficiantly. I would suggest that student be given a day to recouperate after an excursion.

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Thank you Lauren for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the communication with your program leaders. We always try do our best to be as clear as possible, but recognize that program details can vary slightly on site to adapt to weather conditions or circumstances. Regarding the students "left behind" you are referring to, we just want to clarify that the group was given the choice to either meet at a certain time to take a shuttle together, or get back on their own passed that time. But our staff ensured everyone made it home safely. Regarding the scheduling, siestas are part of daily life in Seville, and we feel it is important to immerse in the culture and live at the pace of the city. Maybe a good idea to bring back to the U.S.?!

Rebecca
Sevilla

Great Memories!

This trip was life-changing in many senses of the word. It allowed me to create many new memories, make new friends, and develop my sense of independence. Additionally, the Digital Filmmaking and Documentary class enhanced my knowledge on the subject and allowed me to see Sevilla through a different lens. I will carry the memories I have made on this trip and the skills I have developed with me far into the future.

This program could be improved by allowing more free time. The way the schedule currently is, most free time is during siesta when everything is closed. Additionally, some activity times were changed last minute, causing some group members to not be able to attend the activity. This being said, schedules could be set farther in advance and distributed to the participants earlier.

Jenna
wisconsin

amazing experience

Overall this was a very memorable experience and I would recommend it to anyone looking to further their knowledge of film making and video production. we learned a lot about the history of film and lots of different techniques that were helpful to improve my skills. <i loved my host family they were so nice and helpful and they helped me to learn a lot more Spanish and improve my language skills. I felt safe for the entire trip except for moments where there was disorganization that made me feel slightly confused but in the end, everything ended up being okay. I enjoyed the excursions and cultural activities and I felt like I had an experience that I will remember for a long time.

changing the time of class to during siesta or during a part of siesta would be nice since having free time during siesta and on sundays when nothing is open doesnt really make sense. we were sometimes very bored during free time when we could be exploring the city we were at home since nothing was open. also there should be more organization because there were a few miscommunications that led to some students being offput by the program, not including myself.

Noryan

CIEE Global Discovery

This program overall was life changing. It allowed me to have more independce away from my family. I enjoyed the Digital Film Making & Documentary class and what was tought throughout. My overall favourite part would be how I connected with my host family. I really enjoyed when they took me out to enjoy a concert. The things i did not enjoy was the placement for free time. It was during seista so nothing was open while our other free time was during the night with not enough time between dinner and curfew.I also did not enjoy the major focus on the Language & Culture program over us in Global Discovery.

The program can be improved by allowing more free time after the cultural activites in the morning as well as maybe extending the curfew a few more hours. The program could also have a better way of focusing on the both programs. For Global Discovery as a class it would help if the class was divided into skill levels in spainish or at least have a level of requirement.

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Thank you Noryan for your feedback. We are glad we could be part of your journey! Seville is quite unique as we have to schedule classes and activities around the "siesta"! We hope you took advantage of that afternoon break to relax and enjoy quality time with your host family, like most Sevillanos!

Greta
Washington D.C.

CIEE Sevilla

Over all this trip was very fun and I am glad I decided to travel here and participate in this program. I personally took some issue with the lack of organization throughout the trip and found it rather irritating, but that did not completley take away from the personal growth I feel like I acheived while I was here. I also did not have a perfect home stay experience because my host mother was rather difficult and breaking some rules, but I know that the majority my friends loved their host parents and family members. It would have been much much better if we were given more free time durring more convienent parts of the day so that we could explore and learn more about the place we chose to visit on our own.

More organization, funding, free time, and care in picking host famalies.

olivia
North Carolina

Olivia`s Review

I loved this trip. I made 13 new friends and made so many memories. My host family was amzing and treated me and my housemate just like their own kids. Going on weekend trips was one of the best parts, we saw so many amzing things and got to relax. My favorite memory was taking our trip to granada, my friends and i really got immersed in the culture by eating native food and going to the authenthic shops there. I loved being in Sevilla and i definietly want to travel more.

The times should be more accustomed to the students. Also other programs shouldnt be given more attention than others

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Thank you Olivia for your feedback. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Seville. We do our best to adapt the program schedule to the local context, so we hope you took full advantage of your "siestas"!

Gino
Madison, Wisconsin

Filmmaking Summer Abroad Session One

I had an amazing time! The program overall was very fun overall and I learned a lot about film. There were some minor setbacks and times of frustration, but nothing major. I would recommend this program! One problem we faced was not having access to editing software or equipment, this made creating the videos we set out to make very difficult.

Giving us editing equipment or access to it!

christiaan
Peoria,IL

Christiaan Pearson

Overall, this program has been a great experience. The people, the curiculum, the places, and the process was pretty simple and fun. Future participants should have a better understanding about the first few days they arrive to better prepare during travel. The staff did a great job with keeping up with us before we left the united states and after. I loved almost every second of this trip and the parts I didnt love were a result of my close minded and laziness.

The pre-departure program "Canvas" was hard to use and seems useless. Some of the parts were hard to navigate and the assignments seemed useless now that I am here. I don´t remember any of it because I have not needed the information that was included in the course. The only parts I do remember were about the social medias, culture shock, and adjusting to Spanish culture. These were the sections of canvas that we needed to read not write. Those were the only helpful sections throughout this program. The only input I would add is a few of the participants were bringing other participants down because of their close minded attitude and it hindered my ability to fully enjoy every activity and destination. It went on for far too long before a leader or staff member addressed the negative attitudes that were being presented.

Parker
San Antonio, Texas

My Expirience in Seville

Ciee has a great class going on in Seville that I was lucky to be apart of. I never felt like I was unsafe or left out and I really liked that. My host family was a great family and the staff here did a great job of helping our expirience, they rarely messed up. Overall I am happy that I went on this trip. We had great weekend trips to different cities and I felt like my expierience benefitted greatly from that. Also my class was fun and interesting and helped me to learn more about filmaking.

None

Mayra
seville

ciee

I really enjoyed meeting new people and making friends. The staff is really supportive and nice. I would for sure recommend this program to those who are trying to experience something new and fun. one thing I would change is the organization of the activities because throughout the days some of the times changed and it was no fun having to rush to a meeting point really far from our house. This experience really helped me see the cultures in a different view and particiapting in it first had. this was an overall life changing experience that I will never forget.

One thing I would change is the organization of the activities because throughout the days some of the times changed and it was no fun having to rush to a meeting point really far from our house.

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five continents,