CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Seville, Spain – Digital Filmmaking & Documentary

People across Spain are embracing all types of media in novel ways to build social awareness and advance causes. Working with CIEE professors, you and your peers will uncover powerful social forces at work in Spain, Europe, and even your own country.

You’ll live and learn in the beautiful Andalusian city of Seville. A vibrant location of three UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Seville has a rich cultural heritage and landmark art and architecture. Explore Seville’s cultural fabric by visiting shops, markets, and cafés while practicing your Spanish conversational skills.

Your local host family will be your home base during your stay. Together you’ll prepare and share meals, go shopping, learn local customs, and enjoy family routines and recreation. This is also a valuable way to get insight into how family members use and interact with new and traditional media.

• 9-10 rating 56.25%
  • 7-8 rating 43.75%
Gianna

Ciee Experience

It had its highs and lows but overall it was a really good experience. The trip had moments of being a very scary experience (getting lost in a big city, getting int a car accident, losing your phone) but it has also given me amazing experiences like meeting people in Sevilla, It has broadened my horizons, finding amazing new discoveries and helping me connect with people further than where I live

More free time
Aniya

Ciee Sevilla Spain

This program truly has helped me grow as a person. It has allowed me to learn Spanish better while meeting new friends. I want future participants to know to be optimistic and have hope. Also they need to know that not every part of the trip will be fun. My favorite memory is Granada because it was fun and showed the many different cultures in Spain. I really enjoyed the program and and learned a lot from it.

Cassandra

I Love CIEE

This program changed my life I view things very different now that I know that there is more in the world than my little town. My experience was unique because I made sure to make the most of my time here and not everyone did that. When we would go out to eat I would make sure we were going to a traditional Spanish restaurant. I got lost a few times but it was a fun experience that everyone should enjoy.

This program can be improved by having less walking tours and maybe more activities where your doing hands on activities. Also the ITCs are not very useful to me and I think something else similar should be substituted for them.
Leila

Visiting a New Place

I have been traveling to Hungary for every year of my life, so I am used to changing cultures every year. When I got to Sevilla I was pretty confident that I wouldn't be influenced by culture shock too much. In many eayd the appearance of the city and the people seemed very similar to Hungary. However the language and night life of Sevilla are different from anything I have experienced before. I think I have adjusted pretty well to my surroundings, and i will be very sad to leave Sevilla, because now I am totally used to this way of life now. Although it is similar in ways to Hungary, the differences hete make being here in Sevilla a unique and irreplaceable experience for me.

Provide more information about what will be happening in the program prior to departure.
Anne stewart

Review

I think this trip was good for me.!:) I think I learned a lot about myself and who I am as a person. I had a hard time with my first host family but after getting my second host family I feel better. I really liked my teacher because she was nice to me and taught me a lot about Spanish. I feel like I really approved with my Spanish by learning from her and leaving in this city. I made a lot of
New friends who I hope I can see all year around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By checking out the host families more!!!
Tamia

CIEE Global Discovery

I think that the Ciee global discorvery program was an awsome program. For the usage of what we had we made the most out of the opertunity and the staff were outstanding. I have no complaints and can honestly say that i have grown as a student and a person. I would strongly recomend others to participate in the program if they could and to make sure to make the most of it. I have made so many new friends and learned so much i am so happy to have had the opertunity to met so many wonderful people.

I think that there is room for improvment in no other area excpet for devices. I think that the usage of diferent devices and lack of accessibilty to certain things in a way limited the runing of the program slighty.
Lauren
No, I don't recommend this program

Filmmaking Summer Abroad Session One

Communication between the program and the students were relatively poor throughout the trip. Of course there were a few program leaders who tried their best to make what they intented clear, but overall the communication was not good at all. This lack of communication was the root of a long of negativity and problems during the trip (such as several students being left behind on accident) . While I appreciate the excursions, I do wish that when we returned back to Seville after each trip we were given a day to rest and recouperate. Many other students were extremely physically tired and mentally exhasted (which affected the whole performance of the day). Class (for the film students) was fantastic and the teacher, Carlos was extremely helpful and a wonderful teacher. However, class time could have been put in a more convenient time. We had class from 6pm to 9pm, and given seista free (from 2pm to 6pm). However, since class ended so late , the students had little time to themselves and everything was closed. By the end of the day after dinner or spending time with their host family, the students would sleep around 12am or 1am. Overall the students were fantastic, but I would not recommend this program again.

Definately improve the communication between students and staff. I would suggest that the class time should be around 2pm to 5pm for convenience and efficiantly. I would suggest that student be given a day to recouperate after an excursion.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Thank you Lauren for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the communication with your program leaders. We always try do our best to be as clear as possible, but recognize that program details can vary slightly on site to adapt to weather conditions or circumstances. Regarding the students "left behind" you are referring to, we just want to clarify that the group was given the choice to either meet at a certain time to take a shuttle together, or get back on their own passed that time. But our staff ensured everyone made it home safely. Regarding the scheduling, siestas are part of daily life in Seville, and we feel it is important to immerse in the culture and live at the pace of the city. Maybe a good idea to bring back to the U.S.?!

Rebecca

Great Memories!

This trip was life-changing in many senses of the word. It allowed me to create many new memories, make new friends, and develop my sense of independence. Additionally, the Digital Filmmaking and Documentary class enhanced my knowledge on the subject and allowed me to see Sevilla through a different lens. I will carry the memories I have made on this trip and the skills I have developed with me far into the future.

This program could be improved by allowing more free time. The way the schedule currently is, most free time is during siesta when everything is closed. Additionally, some activity times were changed last minute, causing some group members to not be able to attend the activity. This being said, schedules could be set farther in advance and distributed to the participants earlier.