CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Seville, Spain – Spanish Language & Culture

What’s a typical day like in Seville? Because of the heat, mornings are for outings and afternoons for language classes!

Throughout your stay, practice speaking Spanish in shops, markets, and cafes. You’ll also explore the city with tours led by CIEE staff and local professors. Need some extra assistance with your Spanish language skills? We’ll have local college students ready to help.

Enjoy your favorite tapas during nights out with new friends; dance the flamenco during a cultural class or spend an afternoon touring churches, cathedrals and other architectural gems; stroll along the scenic Guadalquivir River or relax along the banks while taking in the local rowing culture. Mingle with peers and meet Spanish high school students through organized activities.

College credit option is available for this program; see our site for details.

Gabriela

Going Abroad in Seville

My parents at first were very concerned when they first heard about my acceptance into CIEE high school summer abroad. I have never been out of the country before, and this was huge for me. After discussing things through with the staff, I was positive CIEE would be there to help my family and I every step of the way.
Going abroad was amazing, and truly an experience I will never forget, CIEE always planned fun activities while also incorporating the educational part of the program for anyone to get the most out of it. They were also very generous with scholarships, and gave me an 80% scholarship based on academic merit. Also, the college credit program has definitely helped me get some credits out of the way and I'm very glad. For anyone who is on the line about this program - I say to go for it! You never know, and it will be an experience you will never forget!

N/A
Kaitlyn

Living My Greatest Life in Spain

This CIEE program impacted me because I had the chance to test the boundaries of my comfort zone. In order to be successful, you have to step outside of your comfort zone. It is all about experiencing things that make you nervous and uncomfortable. These feelings are also felt when you chase your dreams, and in order to chase my dreams, I had to leave my comfort zone.
Leaving my comfort zone means gaining cultural appreciation and the realization that no two places in the world are the same. Every city, state, or country has something special and unique. Experiencing different cultures and ways of life are blessings because they allow me to live a lifestyle different than the ones I’ve previously experienced. This CIEE program impacted my college experience because it gave me a better sense of appreciation for what the world has to offer and likewise it will open my eyes to the diversity and indescribable beauty of places I’ve never been.
This CIEE program did not only impact my college experience, but it helped me in my future career plans. After graduating Concordia University of Wisconsin with a Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy and a minor in Spanish, I plan on making my mark in the world by using my experiences and knowledge to make a difference in the lives of others. Spanish will be useful since I plan to live abroad in a Spanish-speaking country and practice there. With the knowledge I have of culture minorities, I will be able to successfully practice in a way that doesn’t offend my clients. Helping people is a characteristic that I learned as a child. It gives me a sense of belonging, pride, and accomplishment. It is my obligation to give back, and this is one way that I will be able to share my knowledge with the world and truly make a difference. During this experience, I met so many new people from all around the United States as well as Spain. I’m very fortunate to have been able to take my family back to Spain to show them the city I studied abroad in. It was a beautiful thing for me to have been able to witness. As far as my favorite memory, it would have to be when we took a bus trip to Aracena and ended up jumping off of a bridge into a river while we kayaked and enjoyed the Spanish siesta time. I was terrified to jump, but with my new friends, we all jumped and it was such a fun memory! I haven’t ever had a feeling of adrenaline like that. I absolutely enjoyed every second that I spent in Spain.

The program was amazing, it was just really hard to travel for our excursions and really to make close friends. There were so many people in my specific program (about 50), so it was very crowded all the time.
Sydney

Amazing Country, Culture, and City

Seville was a life changing experience. It was my first time out of the country, and it helped me gain a huge amount of confidence and independence. The most memorable experience was seeing the historic sites in Granada that had influences from Muslim, Jewish, and Christian cultures.In Seville, I kayaked under the same bridge that I would walk across every day to class. I also cooked paella, learned how to dance and met native Spanish people who I am still friends with. overall, it was an amazing experience and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a better understanding of the Spanish language and culture.

The tablets we were given to use often malfunctioned
Fatima

Overall

Seville is a BEAUTIFUL city. You should definitely visit this historically and culturally rich place. My experience with CIEE was great overall. My needs were understood, and I was constantly challenged to step out of my comfort zone and improving my Spanish. The daily cultural activities were sometimes fun and useful and sometimes not. I enjoyed the cooking and dance classes the most. The weekend excursion to Granada was one of the best part of this whole experience. Through this program, I got to learn a lot about myself and the culture of Seville, Spain!

This program can maybe introduce more interactions with local HS students in Seville.
Henry

One of the best experiences of my life.

I'm going to make this short but living in Spain for a month is by far one of my favorite life experiences. The program was incredibly helpful with getting connected to a new culture and place. Learning the language was so much fun and inspiring and I still use Spanish almost everyday where I live. The housing was by far the best part. I'm still in touch with my host mom and will be visiting her when I return to Spain this summer. Overall the experience was great and life changing.

There should be greater freedom during the program as an encouragement to get more involved with the culture and some staff coordination for events could be improved.
Sarah

Summer in Seville 2017

This summer was awesome! I had the oppurtunity to meet so many different people from all across the US! I had to oppurtunity to stay with Spaniards and got the chance to meet the locals! I loved learning about the drastically different culture and experiencing different Spanish events with the friends I made. I really valued the free time we had and truly experienced the way that a typical Spainard lives. Also it felt very rewarding to have Spanish conversations with new people when I went into the stores or restaurants, I felt like I was actively participating in a different culture than my own. Highly recommend going to Seville!

The amount of school work was a little too much. Also, the activities weren't always planned out efficiently meaning details about times and meeting places weren't always clear to the students.
Brooke

¡Vale!

Immersion truly is the best way to learn a language. I can´t believe how far I´ve come within just one month. My Spanish isn´t perfect, but I can proudly say I can make my way comfortably around Spain. This whole month has been incredibly beautiful, and I am extremely thankful I got to experience Spanish culture firsthand. From the food, the sights, the music, the dancing, it´s all a wonderful experience. I definitely prefer this to flashcards for trying to learn Spanish.

The ITCs were incredibly scripted and forced, I feel we all could have learned more through actual experiences.
Linh

CIEE Review

The experience was amazing. i really love Seville and I would for sure come back. The program wasnt the best. I feel like it wasn´t organized and there was alot of stuff that happened. i really enjoyed the people in this program and the friends i made. im thankful for the experience and the new knowledge i have of Spanish. I feel like their should be more better cultral activities and the ITC were very unorganized. They weren´t very helpful in my oponion. But overall it was fun and i don´t regret doing it.

Karina

Sevilla Ciee trip

This past month has flown by. During this trip I have met amazing people from all over the US and Sevilla. Moreover my fluency and confidence in Spanish has definitely improved. Living with a host family has been a touching experience. I was immersed into the culture. With the structure of the program I have been able to gain independence and been able to explore the wonders of Sevilla. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a great summer experience.

Because this is not my first time traveling to Europe or traveling alone, I would have wished that I would have been pushed out of my comfort zone more. Additionally the class activities (ITC) and homework would be better if they would not be so repetitive and forced at times.
Kate

Great experience!

I had a lot of fun this month on ciee and loved living with a host family and being fully immersed in Spanish culture. My host family was so nice and I loved spending free time with my friends and discovering different places in Sevilla. While I liked the independent environment ciee created, i felt that at times I would have liked a little bit more independence with the activities. There were a LOT of walking tours and I know that some people enjoy those but personally I would have liked some more variety and choice with the morning/excursion activities. I really liked all the excursions we did (especially aracena) and I would have loved to go on one more excursion like to the beach or a museum or park.

I think that they should let the students have a say in the morning activities and also have the itcs be a bit more helpful and independent and less of talking to random people
Amelia

Sevilla Summer

I absolutely loved my experience in Sevilla. The people I have been lucky enough to meet are all amazing. My host mother is one of the coolest people I've ever met, and also is very considerate of my vegetarian diet. The culture is rich in Sevilla, and the memories I have made will last a lifetime. I've grown from this trip, and can't wait to apply my new knowledge to my daily life. I'm super grateful that CIEE gave me the financial support to make this opportunity become a reality!!

More free time in the morning
Ariel

Once in a Lifetime Experience

This program was truly a lifetime experience. In this program we visited many beautiful spanish sites of historic background that were truly jaw dropping. This program will give countless hours of fun including meeting new friends from the United States and from Spain and exploring the vast size of Seville. The Staff, Support team, and program leaders were all sweet and hilarious and really cared for their students. All the students improved their core spanish speaking skills as we spoke spanish every single day to improve it. I recommend this program to anyone who wants to have a fun experience abroad such as learning about and visitng beautiful sites, eating authentic spanish foods, and meeting new friends to last a lifetime.

ITC can be improved by making it less repetitive.
Aphelion

Review

The program was a lot of fun and had a lot of fun activities. I feel like the host families could have been reviewed more closely and the planning and scheduling done better and more clear. One of my favorite parts was the free time, when we didn't have to fulfill an arbitrary character count for a review for the trip. The daily diary was also less than helpful, often boring and repetitive. Seven.

Clearer instructions
Lauren

Very Cultural

This trip was a once in a lifetime experience for me because of the scholarship, and I am so glad that my trip was better than I expected. We visited so many places rich with culture and history. We also had many activities that let us see into the lives of people living in Seville.
My language skills have improved, and it has been so wonderful to stay with a host family to truly learn the way of life here.

It would be an improvement if the students were more informed on what the program consisted of before it began, and other information about the end of the program.
Journey

Unforgettable Journey

I liked some of the cultural activities and connecting with the history of each of the monuments in Sevilla. The cooking classes were fun! Some of the tours I found cool and nice, but sometimes I just wished we could explore by ourselves more.

Overall, I absolutely loved it!! The food was great, shopping was fun, and the people/students there were nice.

I wished I stayed a little longer and came back!

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...