CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Seville, Spain – Spanish Language & Culture

CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Seville, Spain – Spanish Language & Culture

What’s a typical day like in Seville? Because of the heat, mornings are for outings and afternoons for language classes!

Throughout your stay, practice speaking Spanish in shops, markets, and cafes. You’ll also explore the city with tours led by CIEE staff and local professors. Need some extra assistance with your Spanish language skills? We’ll have local college students ready to help.

Enjoy your favorite tapas during nights out with new friends; dance the flamenco during a cultural class or spend an afternoon touring churches, cathedrals and other architectural gems; stroll along the scenic Guadalquivir River or relax along the banks while taking in the local rowing culture. Mingle with peers and meet Spanish high school students through organized activities.

College credit option is available for this program; see our site for details.

Europe » Spain » Seville
Program Categories
Spanish
See site for more details regarding cost.
Global Navigator Scholarships – available only through CIEE – make it easier for you and hundreds of other U.S. high school students to gain an edge from international exchange each summer. Scholarships range from 10 to 100 percent of the cost of tuition of your Global Navigator High School summer program. They are awarded based on a combination of financial need and merit. Merit is evaluated based on your transcript, GPA, and the quality of your application.

Sarah

Summer in Seville 2017

This summer was awesome! I had the oppurtunity to meet so many different people from all across the US! I had to oppurtunity to stay with Spaniards and got the chance to meet the locals! I loved learning about the drastically different culture and experiencing different Spanish events with the friends I made. I really valued the free time we had and truly experienced the way that a typical Spainard lives. Also it felt very rewarding to have Spanish conversations with new people when I went into the stores or restaurants, I felt like I was actively participating in a different culture than my own. Highly recommend going to Seville!

The amount of school work was a little too much. Also, the activities weren't always planned out efficiently meaning details about times and meeting places weren't always clear to the students.

Brooke

¡Vale!

Immersion truly is the best way to learn a language. I can´t believe how far I´ve come within just one month. My Spanish isn´t perfect, but I can proudly say I can make my way comfortably around Spain. This whole month has been incredibly beautiful, and I am extremely thankful I got to experience Spanish culture firsthand. From the food, the sights, the music, the dancing, it´s all a wonderful experience. I definitely prefer this to flashcards for trying to learn Spanish.

The ITCs were incredibly scripted and forced, I feel we all could have learned more through actual experiences.

Linh
Greensboro, NC

CIEE Review

The experience was amazing. i really love Seville and I would for sure come back. The program wasnt the best. I feel like it wasn´t organized and there was alot of stuff that happened. i really enjoyed the people in this program and the friends i made. im thankful for the experience and the new knowledge i have of Spanish. I feel like their should be more better cultral activities and the ITC were very unorganized. They weren´t very helpful in my oponion. But overall it was fun and i don´t regret doing it.

Karina
Sevilla Spain

Sevilla Ciee trip

This past month has flown by. During this trip I have met amazing people from all over the US and Sevilla. Moreover my fluency and confidence in Spanish has definitely improved. Living with a host family has been a touching experience. I was immersed into the culture. With the structure of the program I have been able to gain independence and been able to explore the wonders of Sevilla. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a great summer experience.

Because this is not my first time traveling to Europe or traveling alone, I would have wished that I would have been pushed out of my comfort zone more. Additionally the class activities (ITC) and homework would be better if they would not be so repetitive and forced at times.

Kate
Sevilla Spain

Great experience!

I had a lot of fun this month on ciee and loved living with a host family and being fully immersed in Spanish culture. My host family was so nice and I loved spending free time with my friends and discovering different places in Sevilla. While I liked the independent environment ciee created, i felt that at times I would have liked a little bit more independence with the activities. There were a LOT of walking tours and I know that some people enjoy those but personally I would have liked some more variety and choice with the morning/excursion activities. I really liked all the excursions we did (especially aracena) and I would have loved to go on one more excursion like to the beach or a museum or park.

I think that they should let the students have a say in the morning activities and also have the itcs be a bit more helpful and independent and less of talking to random people

Amelia

Sevilla Summer

I absolutely loved my experience in Sevilla. The people I have been lucky enough to meet are all amazing. My host mother is one of the coolest people I've ever met, and also is very considerate of my vegetarian diet. The culture is rich in Sevilla, and the memories I have made will last a lifetime. I've grown from this trip, and can't wait to apply my new knowledge to my daily life. I'm super grateful that CIEE gave me the financial support to make this opportunity become a reality!!

More free time in the morning

Ariel

Once in a Lifetime Experience

This program was truly a lifetime experience. In this program we visited many beautiful spanish sites of historic background that were truly jaw dropping. This program will give countless hours of fun including meeting new friends from the United States and from Spain and exploring the vast size of Seville. The Staff, Support team, and program leaders were all sweet and hilarious and really cared for their students. All the students improved their core spanish speaking skills as we spoke spanish every single day to improve it. I recommend this program to anyone who wants to have a fun experience abroad such as learning about and visitng beautiful sites, eating authentic spanish foods, and meeting new friends to last a lifetime.

ITC can be improved by making it less repetitive.

Aphelion
Sevilla

Review

The program was a lot of fun and had a lot of fun activities. I feel like the host families could have been reviewed more closely and the planning and scheduling done better and more clear. One of my favorite parts was the free time, when we didn't have to fulfill an arbitrary character count for a review for the trip. The daily diary was also less than helpful, often boring and repetitive. Seven.

Clearer instructions

Lauren
Seville

Very Cultural

This trip was a once in a lifetime experience for me because of the scholarship, and I am so glad that my trip was better than I expected. We visited so many places rich with culture and history. We also had many activities that let us see into the lives of people living in Seville.
My language skills have improved, and it has been so wonderful to stay with a host family to truly learn the way of life here.

It would be an improvement if the students were more informed on what the program consisted of before it began, and other information about the end of the program.

Journey

Unforgettable Journey

I liked some of the cultural activities and connecting with the history of each of the monuments in Sevilla. The cooking classes were fun! Some of the tours I found cool and nice, but sometimes I just wished we could explore by ourselves more.

Overall, I absolutely loved it!! The food was great, shopping was fun, and the people/students there were nice.

I wished I stayed a little longer and came back!

Lily

Sevilla Experience

This trip has been such an eye-opening experience. I have always loved traveling and receiving this opportunity has changed my life in so many different ways. Actually living in a different country and being immersed into the culture has so many benefits. You become more independent, confident, and learn to look at the world from a different perspective. While there may have been times when I was frustrated due to the occasional lack of communication between staff and students, I feel as though overall the program was extremely fun and it helped me to grow as an individual. I've met so many new friends on this trip and got the chance to absorb the culture of this amazing city.

ITC's, organization, and communication between staff and students

Gloria
Seville,Spain

A new & beneficial experience

Overall, studying abroad has been a very fun and educational experience. The cultural activities were fun and I loved the beautiful places we were able to tour (Cathedral, Alcázar, etc). However, I wish we had more time to explore those places ourselves instead of always listening to the tour guides. The weekend trips to Cádiz & Granada were definitely the best part of the program. I made many new friends, learned new skills, and learned a lot more Spanish. This program has helped with my personal growth, and I would love to visit Seville again in the future.

More organization and better communication, mainly in the ITCs

Anders
Wisconsin

Fun month with new friends

My time in Seville has been really fun and has improved my Spanish. I've met many new people and become good friends with people from across the US. The weekend trips to Cádiz and Grenada were the highlights of the trip for me. My host family was very hospitable and I feel my Spanish improved the most through my conversations with them. Both my program leader and teacher were very friendly and helpful. At one point during the trip I became sick, and my host family and staff were attentive and made sure I was OK.

Could have been more organized.

Lucy

Program review

In almost all aspects, the program/trip was wonderful! I loved many of the culture activities, like the graffiti tour and the kayaking. Some of the tours were alittle too long but the places we toured were fantastic. the day trips were exciting and I loved the locations. I will always remember this trip and the friends I made, both Spanish and American. The friends and breakfast was really fun and I made a lot of friends.

My only problem with the program was communication. At some points it seemed as though even the program leaders weren't sure what was going on or how to help because they hadn't been given the right information.

Carolina
Seville, Spain

Awesome, but too many tours

Going out of the country alone for this long was a brand new experience for me. I loved staying with my host family and know I have definitely made a life long connection with them. The people I met were great and it was awesome to be able to go to a new place with people I had never met or talked to and just click with them. Aside from the people the program in itself is an amazing opportunity. Never have I taken a Spanish class like I did here. It wasn't all about grammar or vocabulary. Instead we learned how to actually communicate in Spanish with other Spanish speakers.

No matter how much I loved the trip there's room for improvement. Organization wise it was a little crazy sometimes. For example the ITC. This was the most thrown together thing. I know it was supposed to correlate with what we did in class but most of the ITC's were pointless. I think that if we only did like 2-3 ITC's a week everyone would benefit from it more. Aside from the ITC we took so many tours that not many if not everyone lost interest in in the first 10 minutes. The first few days it was understandable because it was tours of the city, but after that we got a tour of every single place we went to. It got boring to hear about why every living room in the place was important for 20 minutes. And if it wasn't slow it was way too fast. There was no time to look around or take pictures. A tour of the main places or points would be better. Maybe 2-3 a week, but not one everyday.

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Hello Carolina and thank you for your review. It is true that it is very important for us that what you cover in class connects with what you will do with the group outside of the classroom, so that you can immediately apply new learnings, and "connect dots" between the Spanish language and its culture. We do appreciate your feedback on the "Into The Community" exercises, and will take into account moving forward.

Ruhee

Summer in Sevilla

The experience that you get from doing a summer abroad in this lovely city is entirely different than what you would get from exploring on your own. And so, it is to be expected that not everything can be planned out perfectly, especially in a group this size. Overall, focus on the new knowledge you're gaining and the memories you're making and you'll realize that this was the trip of a lifetime :))

Finn

CIEE

This experience was very valuable for me. I have been lucky enough to have traveled a lot in the past, but living in a different country with a host family was a completely different experience. I enjoyed every moment of it and would definitely recommend it to others. Getting to see all of the monuments while having plenty of free time to explore was great. I had a great time every day with my friends and my host family.

More communication between leaders and students

Lauren
Seville

Study Abroad

My experience studying abroad in Seville will forever be unforgettable! I was extremely fortunate to have met such wonderful people during my month spent here. I have made such great friendships, and bonds with my host family. Having such a loving and supportive host family made the whole experience even better. My advice for future participants would be to enjoy every moment of the trip and always keep your head up high, because in the beginning of the trip when I was a little homesick, I was so focused on missing home I didn't appreciate the opportunity of a lifetime that I was embarking on. This program impacted my life in ways I would have never expected! CIEE study abroad taught me not only about language and culture, but it taught me more about myself as a person. I have learned to go out of my comfort zone and try new things like eating snails for the first time or riding a bike around the city. To my surprise I actually liked the savory taste of the snails and I was extremely proud of myself for trying it. Also, before this trip I hated riding bikes, I just didn't find it enjoyable, but to my surprise the bike tour was one of my favorite days this entire trip! On top of trying new things, I also learned how bad I am at directions and that I don't cope well with getting lost. Although, from having these few encounters getting lost, I learned how to navigate a city without GPS or my iPhone. In the end, I am so grateful to have had this experience and this period of personal growth!

This program can be a little more improved by just being more organized during ITCs. The ITCs were almost always inconveniently out of the way. I think that instead of having an ITC everyday, have them once a week and in a place near where the morning activity is taking place.

James

Great potential but terrible leadership

On this trip I met some great people, for the most part all of the activities were fun, and finally the weekend trips were all fantastic. However there are some serious flaws in the leadership of this program. We were often stuck waiting around for 30 minutes to an hour for the leaders to figure out what is going on, what we are doing, and who is missing. In addition to this the, the meeting times change every day and were very confusing as a result. This is not the only problem with the leadership. At the end of my third week my parents received an email that said that I had been late to an activity because I overslept and in addition to this I was being overly negative in class. The email also requested that my parents disciplined me for this behaviour "in order to insure it doesn't happen again". First off, I didn't oversleep I simply misread the email that said what time to meet and as a result I was late to an activity once. Secondly, the only time I can think of that I was negative in class that week was when I criticized the ITC's. Moreover the email came from CIEE headquarters in Portland so it was impossible to know who I should talk to in order to resolve the problem. Fortunately my parents are reasonable people and nothing came of this but it was infuriating at the time.

The contact between CIEE and the parents of the students of the program needs to be redesigned so that the parents can get an accurate account of what is happening. In addition to this the organization of the program needs to be drastically improved.

Jordan
CA

Session 1 2017

My favorite part was being fully immersed in the language and culture. All of the excursions and getting to meet new people was amazing too. It is hard for me to review this program, as this is the first study abroad program I have been on and have nothing to compare it too. However, I do know that I learned a lot, saw so many amazing things, and had so much fun, which made the occasional bump in the road worth it.

Better organization.

Tatiana
Sevilla

My Expirience in Seville

Sevilla is a wonderful city and I hope to return some time soon, Ive had a transcending experience here. The host family were great people and I was very happy with my placement. Being here has helped me grow into something larger than myself and experience so much more in life and Im so lucky to have gotten this experience

. . . . . . . . . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . .. . . . ...

Probably if everyone communicated better with times and meeting points

Jiacheng
Seville, Spain

Solid, despite the fact that it has flaws

I will say that it is a very solid process of learning; I grew from someone who cannot form a sentence in Spanish to someone who can use five tences in less than a month. I would not iamgine myself to be able to do it in other place other thasn Spain. The host family placement is excellent! I learnt so much <Spanish from them. Majority of the cultural activities were good and fascinating as well. I did indeed had an unfogrettable experience exploring Spanish langauge and cultures.
However, there were some minor disorganizations that took place in some of the acticvities. SUch as late bus arrival, time discoodinance, etc. But as a language and culture program, I think that being good for these kinds of experiences is enough for it to earn majority of the points.

A thoughout optimization of ITC together with soem improvements with the classes. I think that for someone who is in level 0 like me, learning the expressions that are used for surviving, such as "¿puedo ir a baños?" is more important than larning vocabs like "grabadoras" and stuff. At least, these vital expressions and daliy conversatiuons should be taught as the absolute priority. Also, learning other stuffs like telling direction on a map, lerning the locations of cities on teh map and incorporate these skills in ITC seems a little bit out-dated for me because we are all using google maps for navigation rather than using a paper map and asking other people.

Colin
seville spain

school

have school during siesta, so that you have more free time while the stores are open. Instead of having nothing to do in the middle of the day, you could combine the classes in the morning, and during the siesta. This way the students could have the afternoon and evening free.
The city is great. The Setas are a good place for a nap. My homestay was a little far away from the other students and other fun things. It would be nice to be closer to a central location.
The food here is awesome. I ate everything. I got to try a lot of different food that I hadn´´t tried before.

have class during siesta

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Hello Colin - Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed the many delicacies Seville has to offer and enjoyed your experience overall. Part of the cultural immersion in our programs is to live at the pace of the city, and "siestas" are part of daily life in Seville! We hope you seized the opportunity to relax and spend quality time with your host family.

Abigail
California

A summer abroad

This program was a very fun experience and I had a fun time getting to know new and interesting people from not only Spain and all over the US.

Better punctuality

Charlotte
seville spain

Good Program

If I were to describe this program in 3 words it would be: fun, learning, new. The program plans many fun activites and experiences. For example, kayaking, cooking classes, and sightseeing. It is a good way to not only learn more about the Spanish culture, but also I learned a lot about the the city of Seville. I also learned a lot through the scheduled Spanish classes. It is nice because no matter your level, you will be placed in a small class with a native Spanish speaker as your teacher, so it is easier to learn and practice speaking. I will say that the language learning is not highlighted as much as I thought it would be. Most of the time we speak English unless we are in Spanish class. However, some of the activities are in Spanish. Lastly, this program was full of new experiences. I got to live with a new host family, meet new friends, and see a new country. Overall, I would reccomend this program. However, if you are looking to really improve your spanish intensely, this is probably not the program for you. Also, sometimes there is miscommunication which made it sort of annoying. But overall, I had a good experience where I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

better organization

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Hello Charlotte and thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your experience in Seville. We do offer several other Spanish language learning programs throughout Spain and the Spanish speaking world to cater to as many proficiency levels as possible. So if you are looking for your next challenge in Spanish language, check out our Alicante intensive program!

Henry

Great Program

This is a wonderful program that I would recommend to anyone looking for a study abroad program. The staff ran the program very well and activities were well planned. I will admit that at times the program had its flaws, but they were rare. It is important for anyoen who does any study abroad program to keep an open mind. This is a culture you are not used to and it may be uncomfortable, but the only way to stop that is to immerse yourself in it. When things go wrong and you want to blame staff for any minor inconvenience, remember that you are in a foreign country, on a program comprised of dozens of kids. It is hard to keep track of 60 teenagers, but CIEE does a good job of it. The homestay experience was my favorite as I learned the culture and language the fastest through that. My homestay was very nice and her hospitality was amazing. This is a great program that requires an open mind, and that I recommend for anyone.

Maybe better planning of the ITCs so that they are closer the culture activities. Also, the curfew should be moved to 1:00 am as that is when the night starts for most Spaniards and a lot of culture happens. Otherwise it was great.

Margaret

an enjoyable expirience

Overall I did have a great and every enjoyable expirience. Towards the begining of the trip the activities were quite active interactive but also slightly unorganized. As the program continued it grew slightly more unorganized with meeting places and times. for someone really just starting to learn spanish it was absolutly not helpful to have every email in spanish, i know it was intended as a way to learn but that was not the case. Also quite a bit of the cultral activities were tours and took place towards the end of the trip while they personally would have been much more helpful in the begining. I was given quite a bit of time to discover the city by my self and meet new people!

improve organization and choose more relevent things to teach with more clarification.

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Hello Margaret - Thank you for your review. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience overall. In a city like Seville, with sometimes 3 digit temperatures, we do our best to adjust the activities based on weather conditions. We salute your efforts for following instructions in Spanish. Language is a key component of our programs!

Priya

Sevilla Language

The program was a good experience and a good taste of studying abroad. The program leaders and staff were very friendly in general. There was a lot more English spoken than I was hoping, so it was hard to practice conversational skills. There is a lot of responsibility given to the students so future students should be prepared to handle their money and navigate the city on their own. My host family was really nice and understanding that I didn´t speak any Spanish.

Response from CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad

Thank you Priya for your review. Glad you enjoyed your time with us in Seville. We do our best to provide a fully immersive environment and many opportunities to practice your language skills with your host family, "into the community" with your class, and with young Spaniards your age at high school meetings. We hope picking up Spanish class in September will feel like a breeze!

Marleigh
Sevilla, Espana

CIEE Sevilla Spain

Overall, I had the best experiences and met the best people. I wish that I could do it all over again. I had an amazing time. My host family was amazing and caring and so was my program leader. The classes were very beneficial and my teacher was excellent. I learned so much about the culture and language in Spain and I am very impressed with the CIEE program. The excursions were so fun and very educational. Some things were not very organized but everything else was perfect. I loved it here.

More organized

Haley

Loved it!

I had a great family experience! I lived with one older women and a roommate. My host grandma was an amazing cook so I ate super well. I had a great time speaking at meals and I believe I learned the most Spanish through meals. The cultural activities were well planned and always fun. They were unique activities that were interactive and interesting and had a perfect balance of tourist visits and other activities. The classroom environment was fantastic and I loved my teacher and learned tons. I was very impressed with this program!

needs to be more organized - first week was very chaotic and communication was not always there

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five continents,