CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Madrid, Spain – Spanish Language & Culture

High School Summer Abroad in Madrid, Spain
High School Summer Abroad in Madrid, Spain

Spend a month in magical Madrid and add a whole new dimension to your knowledge of the Spanish language.

CIEE experts will take you into the nooks and crannies of Madrid, far beyond the tourist trail. You’ll meet local artists and artisans, shop where residents shop, cycle through neighborhoods, and taste the city’s incredible cuisine. After daily language classes, you’ll practice your Spanish vocabulary in the community on walks with your program leader, a U.S.-based Spanish teacher, and hang out with local high school students.

You’ll live with a local host family, practicing Spanish as you prepare and share meals, shop at local markets, hang out with your host "siblings,” and soak in the culture all around you.

College credit option is available for this program; see our site for details.

Cora

An Overall Great Experience

This trip to Madrid was my first outside of the United States, and I am glad it was. The staff were super helpful and I felt as though I could go to them for any need or concern that I had and I would never be judged. The host family that I stayed with was wonderful, and the classes that I took were in-depth and offered perspectives that you can't just get from a classroom.

If there was one thing I wish I had known before I went, it was the amount of freedom that they give you. On paper, a lot of the trip seems very regulated, and it is to an extent. However, they give you and your friends a lot of free afternoons and evenings to explore the city and have fun. It really teaches you how to be independent, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Annie

Lifechanging

I have grown so much as a person and made lifelong friendships because of this program. I cannot recommend it enough. Thank you CIEE. When I left for Spain and I was super nervous but excited at the same time! When I arrived, at first there was a culture shock, and of course, jet lag. However, I soon settled in really quickly and felt like a part of the family. On the last day of the program, I was heartbroken. I couldn’t imagine my life without those around me anymore.