CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Palma De Mallorca – Spanish Language Intensive

CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Palma
CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Palma

Ramp up your Spanish language skills while visiting palaces and castles and kicking back on island beaches.

Discover Roman ruins, a Moorish casbah and underwater caves. Go on a scavenger hunt in a 14th-century Medieval castle. Kayak, snorkel or sail in the clean blue waters of the bay. Whether on land or at sea, every day you’ll be immersed in the unique Mallorcan culture and put your Spanish conversational skills to the test. While mornings are spent in language classes at a local university, afternoons are for museum trips, intercultural activities and outdoor exploration.

In the capital of Palma you’ll live like local, sharing authentic meals with your host family and learning first-hand about island traditions. During your first three weeks, you’ll live in a homestay and take language and culture classes at a university building downtown. For your last week you’ll stay in a camp with friends at the Albergue La Victoria summer camp.

Robert

The Summer of a Lifetime

My time in Palma was a life-changing experience, and I would recommend it to anybody considering applying. The island is simply breathtaking and I found the locals to be extremely friendly. I remember one instance where a friend and I spoke with a woman for over a half hour who told us about some of the island's history and even showed us pictures of her family. My favorite experience was during El Día de San Juan, when I witnessed the craziest, most vibrant display of pyrotechnics I have ever seen from the Dimonis of the Correfoc. One thing I should note is that the program is very structured, so it may not be the number one choice for those looking for a largely flexible trip. All said, it was truly incredible and I wouldn't change a thing!

Make every moment count, because a month flies by.
Laney

A month in Palma

My month in Palma was an amazing and unique experience for one main reason. I was able to step outside of my comfort zone and learn something new about myself. On this trip, I was able to meet new friends that I will keep in touch with for a long time. Something that made me step outside my comfort zone was "Misión Ñ". For this, you have to go out into the community and talk with locals. I do not like talking to strangers that much, and it was especially hard in a language I am not great at. Doing this made me learn that it is not as hard as I would make it seem, and the locals will be happy because they see you as something trying to fit in, trying to learn a new language. This was an amazing experience that I am so glad I had to opportunity to do.

Work you hardest and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...