Spanish courses in Bilbao (Northern Spain)

Spanish inmersion semester programs
Spanish inmersion semester programs

For over 20 years, Instituto Hemingway, located in city centre in a historical building, has provided affordable Spanish inmersion Programs. Bilbao is the ideal destination for study and travel.

Bilbao has it all! This multicultural utopia features stunning natural parks, a vibrant nightlife, and unparalleled art, history, and cuisine. Hike the Gorbea. Wallow in the warm waters of the Atlantic... This walkable city makes it easy to experience everything!

We are a team of highly trained and experienced people devoted to delivering an optimum and first class service to our students.

At the core of everything we do is our belief that learning a language is one of the most rewarding investments you can make in your life. We sincerely believe that there is no better way to learn or improve a language than interacting with real people in everyday life situations. That is why we try our best to make your stay here as enriching as possible.

• Study Spanish language and culture while you live it in activities such as hiking, cultural events, etc.
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support.
  • Benefit from Bilbao´s well-known, cuisine and beautiful beaches. Surf the Basque Country with locals to see why Bilbao is known as one of the top destinations for surfing in Europe.
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone.
  • Escape from typical tourist destinations, out of confort area

Margaret

Learning Spanish was the best decision ever

My language course at Instituto Hemingway was a big success. Not only does the school offered excellent facilities, the teachers were professional, very proactive and enthusiastic. Also, a student was placed within a group of students that matches his or her level of Spanish. In total, there were almost 6+ classes that guide students in their quest to learn Spanish.
Also, the after school activities were fun and was a great way to get to know the city or other students. There was a wide variety of activities to choose from (one activity per day) and the activities itself were well organized.
I can also recommend staying with a host family, because it makes the immersion in the Spanish lifestyle complete. The family I stayed with was amazing and I couldn't have planned for a better way to feel at home in Bilbao.
All in all it was a perfect time for me! I met a lot of nice people and could learn a lot of Spanish! The teachers had been very friendly and motivating and it was easy to change classes and get an accommodation! Most of accommodations are new and really nice There were a lot of possibilities to do activities in your free time! I love Bilbao and Instituto Hemingway was perfect

I would recommend anyone who wants to learn/improve Spanish to go to this school!

I would like having received more information before coming to Spain. Many things took it for granted but I was not sure that the program was going to be that way.
Chelsea

My Spanish course was the best course ever

Interning abroad has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. From the beginning of the process, Instituto Hemingway went above and beyond to make sure that I was going to get the best placement possible. At my Spanish course in Northern Spain, I learned so much and was very grateful to be a part of an incredible team. I cannot put into words how rewarding my experience was and how easy Instituto Hemingway made it for me.

They were always keeping up with us and even planned fun group outings as to stay in touch! We went to a wine tasting program, did a bike tour, and day trip to a local beach town on top of many more. This was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I went all over Spain. Bilbao is a vibrant city with so many options for how you want to spend your time. The people are kind and the weather is great.

Put in effort to learn about the culture, people, & language because it will make your experience so much better!
Vera

Thumbs up for Spanish lessons!!

The teachers are mostly young and fun. That really helped relate to the new culture we were facing since they were speaking Spanish but spoke “our language”. The school offered good service and seemed really like a Babel tower since there were people from Latin America, Europe, Asia, and North America all in my own class. There’s nothing compared to spending time in a country where the language spoken is the one you’re trying to learn. It’s the fastest and most accurate way of learning! I was surprised by the quality of the teaching methods as well as the incredibly nice and motivated teachers! The classes are perfect in size and there is not too many students.

In my nine months of classes at the institute, I can say it was spectacular. Why? Let me start by saying that the school is very well located and has self-level teachers.

1) The teaching methodology is impeccable
2) The teachers have a very good disposition (friendly).
3) Their language books are updated.
4) There is a privilege of exchanging with people from different cultures and with different habits.
5) Their knowledge of Spain (history, culture, customs, politics, etc.).

I can only describe the school, but those who would want to attend should have the curiosity and courage to try the language.

I really recommend this school! I will maybe be back in the next years. The location was good in city centre and it was relatively near the beach (30 min by metro), so it was quite useful after class.

Everything was perfect. After spending 9 months studying Spanish I consider some of the great activities Instituto Hemingway offers every afternoon were repeated but that to some point is normal.
Fran

The most life changing, and amazing program abroad!!!

Bilbao was such a unique place with a one-of-a-kind culture that you will not find anywhere else. Not only did I discover this, but I also discovered a ton about myself!

I honestly have no complaints about this program or the city of Bilbao. The people are friendly, the city is a whimsical mix of past and present, there is ALWAYS something to do, you are surrounded by beautiful mountains yet a few miles from the coastline, the professors at the university are so much fun... you will find yourself never wanting to leave. Bilbao, and Basque Country in general, comes with its own culture, language, music, and history that you can never really appreciate until you are there to be a part of it. Before coming here, I didn't even know this subculture existed. It's an amazing thing to accidentally stumble upon! I'm so glad I did. If you want to study in Spain but don't want to go to a major metropolitan city, Bilbao is the place to go.

Teachers are patient, understanding, and challenging. They understand that while you are there to learn, you are also in a foreign country, experiencing so many things not just inside the classroom. Make a fool of yourself when practicing the language. Make mistakes, put yourself out there, and talk as much as you can. That is the best way to learn!

This program was a great expirence for myself and my peers. We had a lot of fun travelling around. Our teachers were great to us and we got to know a lot of them personally. I have been recommending this program since I've been back in hopes that more students have the same experiences as us.
Alexandra

Fluent in Spanish in 6 months!!

Studying at Instituto Hemingway was a great experience. The class sizes were small and the teachers were all very encouraging and friendly. Every other Friday, they organized a dinner with all students . We also got to do some tours so it was a great way to see the city! My Spanish definitely improved and nowadays and I am fluent due to this long-term course and I would really recommend Instituto Hemingway to anyone looking for a language school.

My housing was very good in every way. The apartment of the School was located in a very nice neighborhood and I had truly nice roommates. At first I thought my level was just right for me, but after a while I felt like maybe I should have changed my level to the next one. However, I wasn't sure so I stayed in the same group and changed a little too late. Still, I enjoyed my stay very much and the fact that I stayed in the easier group for a bit too long did not bother me. I liked my teachers and made plenty of new friends.

I think I would prefer teachers who speak perfect English but on the other side I think it is better to have native Spanish teachers