Barcelona International Youth Science Program BIYSC

BIYSC is a two-week international excellence program that offer the participants a world class experience by working in research projects, attending scientific lectures and debates, and enjoying the company of peers from around the world that share their same passion: SCIENCE!
We look for 100 students from 16 to 18 years old with a genuine interest for scientific research. Are you in?

Research projects:
-New treatments for opioid addicts: a drug discovery challenge
-Taking a closer look at DNA: using sequencing to explore evolution and biodiversity
-Nutrition and Health International Youth Challenge
-Instructive biomaterials for regenerative medicine
-Drosophila melanogaster: a model to study human disease
-Artificial photosynthesis
-Uncovering the hidden diversity of the oceans
-Cosmic rays detection, astrophysics at your fingertips
-It's a Quantum World!
-Neuro-robotics as a tool to understand the brain

Leonoor

BIYSC 2017

BIYSC has been an incredibly eye-opening, inspiring and exciting experience. I have met many new people and allowed myself to bond with these people over a common interest in science. The program has given me confidence that a career in science is an opportunity, and that the study fields of science go way beyond whats written in our high school books. The program has challenged me to think about ethical issues regarding science, feasibility of scientific solutions and much more.

A bit more free time and responsibility for the students.
Helena Nereida

Unforgettable and excellent scientific experience :)

I luckily had the opportunity to experience the BIYSC as a student of the robotics programme and as a Staff member, two very different points of view from which I personally fell in total love with the programme. The BIYSC opens the world of scientific and technological excellence and professional research to young people and, in my opinion, it manages to do it in the most enjoyable way. Dozens of passionate students from all around the world meet in the sunny Barcelona to share their love and devotion to Science and life knowledge. In a few hours from the start of the programme, their participants become a family.

What I most love about the programme is its sweet essence. For me, the BIYSC means afternoons playing the guitar and singing in a chorus all together, nights discussing philosophical theories for our current politics with people who come from a far country, hours of deep conversation with your mates about issues related to your interest field, intense basketball matches before the dinnertime… and all of this while you’re taking part of an advanced project in one of the world’s best Science research centres.

During my experience as a student and thanks to my wise teachers and staff tutors, I discovered what Science really was and I found a real scientist and technology lover in me. I made very interesting and important friends, and right now, I am happy to see some of them when meetings are possible for us: I truly think that these friendships will last forever! As a Staff member, I enjoyed a lot the experience because we all tutors were fond of the students and it was so lovely to take care of them witnessing their progress in the laboratories. I experienced many unique and heartwarming moments with them and I can sincerely say that I learned a lot from the commitment and enthusiasm of the participants.

BIYSC teaches you about Science, Technology but also about life. The programme is doubtlessly the most rewarding and unforgettable experience any young boy or girl could think of.

Ha

Science Immersion

I have a perception on what science is, as an abstract concept. But BIYSC is the closest I have been to actually "living" science. By meeting scientists, by doing research, by making friends, by talking, playing and learning. It is hard to explain unless you live it, but within the climate of a summer camp with new friends, after a few days of attending lectures and working hands on in a project, you feel part of the scientific community and it is amazing.
10/10 would recommend
Also they have an terrific Room Scape activity

About Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge

BIYSC is a two-week international excellence program that has the aim to offer the participants a world class experience by working in research projects, attending scientific lectures and debates, and enjoying the company of peers from around the...