CIEE High School Semester/Year Abroad Program in Chile

Chat in Spanish at local shops. Check out street art, navigate winding streets full of brightly colored houses, and visit local artisan markets. Hike, bike, or hit the beach on the weekends. Grab an empanada or ripe mango on the go. Five days a week, you’ll attend a local high school — with classes taught solely in Spanish — followed by your choice of fun extracurricular activities and clubs. During your free time, play pickup basketball, practice your folk dancing skills, catch a local football (soccer) match, or hang out with your host family “siblings.”

Kathleen

Unforgettable Experience!

I am currently studying abroad with the CIEE highschool spring semester program in Valparaiso, Chile. I have been living with a wonderful host mom, sister and brother who have welcomed me into their home and lives.
The CIEE in country staff have really made this experience better than I could've imagined. Maria Paz is my go to person for any problem, doubt or question and is always happy to hear our endless stories and how things are going. The CIEE office is always open and all of the staff here have helped us with so many things. From extra Spanish classes, to debit cards not working, to help studying for tests, to finding sports teams outside of school to participate in, to individual check-ins they really care about the students here and work hard to make our experience unforgettable.
I've already learned a lot in the three months I've been here. My Spanish has improved and I feel a lot more confident speaking now. I've been forced into new situations and in turn have learned how to handle new things and the importance of communication. Through meeting people from a different culture, I've also learned a lot about myself and my own culture.
I can confidently say that this has been the best experience in my life, and I highly recommend this program to anyone thinking about studying abroad!

Mary

From Soup to Nuts

When complimenting me for doing a good job on a project, my grandmother would say you handled it perfectly from soup to nuts. Prior to the 1980s, most formal sit-down dinners were multiple courses beginning with soup and ending with nuts. My grandmother was an excellent host so this compliment held a great deal of weight. CIEE was there for me before, during, and in the close of my daughters Chile experience. My daughter is in the final two months of a year-long program. She is fluent in Spanish. She has made life long friends. Her life is changed through the experience.

After arriving in Chile, my daughter, Julia, received an immersion three week Spanish course. She lived with a family and toured Santiago with fellow CIEE students and her Santiago "host" family. This preliminary program helped Julia to gain the confidence to begin school and live with people who didn't speak English.

No, I don't recommend this program

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...