CIEE High School Semester/Year Abroad Program in Germany

Watching Harry Potter and NCIS in German with your host family. Grabbing currywurst on the run. Visiting the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburg Gate. Bonding with exchange students from five different continents. These are just a few memories you might share with fellow alums. Five days a week, you’ll head to your local gymnasium (public high school) for classes with your German peers. Though all classes are taught in German, many people also speak English — which helps ease the transition.

Asha

10 1/2 Months in Germany

Although my time in Germany is not quite finished, I have already experienced so much. From meeting my host family after orientation in Frankfurt, going to my Gymnasium in Germany on the first day, learning how to navigate public transportation, going on vacation with my host family (Borkum in October and London in May), sharing American Thanksgiving with them, meeting up with other exchange students in Wiesbaden and Cologne, spending the holidays surrounded by German traditions (like Plätzchen backen and Weihnachtsmärkte), ringing in the new year in another country, saying goodbye to semester students, going to a castle light festival with a friend, going on a mini European road trip through the Netherlands, Germany, and Austria with my family when they visited me in April, and getting to explore Prague for the first time with forty other exchange students, my year has been packed with tons of new experiences. Due in large part to my host family, I have always felt comfortable and safe in Germany. Being immersed in the German language and culture for this last year has benefitted me in many ways. I know that when I get back to the U.S. I will miss Germany like crazy. Participating in this program through CIEE has taught me so many important things and I know that these memories will stay with me my entire life. It's a good thing that pictures and memories don't take up much space in suitcases, otherwise I'd have to spend even more money than I already have buying souvenirs and gifts this year to send them back to the States!

Eliza

CIEE Half year exchange

I would be very, very likely to recommend CIEE to another person because I found that the program was extremely organized and provided me with all the information that I may need. My most memorable experience was the second seminar I attended with all of the other exchange students. These seminars happen every once in a while and are so much fun! I find it really cool to have so many international friends because of the seminars! I miss Germany so much and would love to go back! Overall great experience!

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...