Travel to Tanzania, a beautiful and culturally diverse country in East Africa. Experience village life near Arusha in lush, mountainous, northeastern Tanzania. Immerse yourself in village life by helping with community-initiated projects such as building a classroom or housing for teachers, painting and repairing school buildings, and teaching English to local children. Pursue an independent project such as assisting a local farmer, learning the trade of a local artisan, or organizing a village soccer tournament. During downtime, play pickup games of frisbee or soccer with local kids. On weekends, explore Tanzania’s colorful markets and curio shops from Moshi to the mountain town of Marangu on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro. Conclude on a multi-day safari led by close friends of Putney and spot lions, zebras, giraffes, and elephants in Tarangire National Park and Ngorongoro Crater.
- Help with classroom construction in your host village
- Teach English lessons for Tanzanian schoolchildren
- Explore hidden waterfalls near the moutain town of Marangu on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Spot lions, zebras, hippos, and more while on safari in Ngorongoro Crater National Park
- Visit a Maasai boma on the vast plains of Oldonyo Sambu