FSD Internships in Argentina

By Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD)   Reviews (1)   100% Rating

Building on 15 years of international development experience, FSD works with community-led organizations to implement sustainable solutions to the many issues that both the Salta and La Plata communities face. FSD interns conduct vital research such as community assessments to give our partner organizations an idea on what assets they can use to address the many issues the community faces.

South America › Argentina › Salta
1 Year+
Spanish
Phone / Skype Interview
La Plata, Salta
La Plata and Salta are beautiful cities located in the province of Buenos Aires. La Plata is known for its urban planning and diverse architectural influences, while Salta features colonial architecture and beautiful mountain scenery.
Work side-by-side with a community based organization to help improve the education level offered to working individuals and those who are otherwise excluded from traditional education.
Gain project management experience by holding workshops, community events, and campaigns that address many development subjects ranging from ecological awareness to providing basic health care.
Research and implement best practices in public health (such as diabetes and HIV/AIDS), environmental degradation, and human rights.
Gain grant writing skills to help fund small, local businesses who offer cleaning, masonry work, gardening, painting, plumbing, and many other skills to the general public.
2000.00

Rating Values

Stephanie
Duke University

Great program!

Overall 10

I did FSD's Salta program last semester and it was easily one of the best summers of my life. FSD really eased my transition into living and working abroad, and also broadened my perspective about sustainable development and service work. An orientation at the beginning of the program helped to acquaint us to the city of Salta and served as an easy transition period. Salta is a gorgeous city with a mild climate and friendly population. It is easy to navigate, and virtually every corner has a tienda selling anything you may need. During orientation we went on a scavenger hunt to familiarize ourselves with the city, climbed el cerro San Bernardo where we could see over the entire city, leaned about Saltenan and Argentine culture, and got to know the other interns and FSD's staff.

FSD pairs inters with organization based their interests and skills. I got to work with Fundacion HOPe, an NGO who supports those affected by a child's cancer. HOPe was the perfect fit for me, as I love children and would like to be a doctor one day. FSD's host organizations cover a broad scope of topics, for example environmentalism, entrepreneurship and education. The site team provided constant support throughout our internships, providing advice on hot to create an effective, sustainable work plan at weekly meetings. They helped me improve me grant writing skills through workshops and offered feedback on my grant before submission. The Salta FSD staff really looks out for the well-being of their interns, and is always eager to help you with anything you may need, whether it be advice on where to find the best cafe con leche or provide accompaniment to the doctor's office.

The best part of my stay was getting to know my host family. It was a great way to familiarize myself and participate in Argentine culture while making life-long friends. FSD's host families are so open and friendly, and are eager to hos the interns. Among all the great experiences I had in Salta, sitting with and talking to my host mom after dinner was my favorite.

I would recommend FSD Salta to anyone who is interested in sustainable development and wants to strengthen their profession skills while meeting some incredible people.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have about the program!

Founded in 1995, Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD) works closely with small NGO's in project locations around the world to enhance the capacity of local communities, and address environmental conservation, healthcare, social and economic issues, and a variety of other issues. FSD operates in a collaborative manner with local communities by engaging in capacity building, grant writing, and international development programs. Visit the FSD website to learn more about how you can get involved.

Community Photos: