International Healthcare Internships with The Intern Group

International Healthcare Internships with The Intern Group

The Intern Group's Global Leadership Grants 2018
The Intern Group is pleased to announce that they are offering 4 Global Leadership Grants of up to $2,500 each to 4 outstanding students/recent graduates. The grants are for The Intern Group's programs in Dublin, Australia, Shanghai and Latin America for Summer/Fall 2018. The deadline is February 2nd, 2018.

We offer successful healthcare applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in London, New York, Europe, China, Australia and Latin America. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship abroad will make you stand out from your peers.

Fast-track your future career and gain first-hand healthcare experience with leading companies worldwide. Put what you’ve learned in the classroom into context. Our Public Health internships are designed to help you gain practical hands-on experience in a variety of roles including medical research, clinical trials, medical policy, fundraising & advocacy, and outreach to promote awareness.

Oceania » Australia
Year Round
Inclusions
Activities
Airport Transfers
Our program provides an entire experience. Along with an internship, participants also receive housing, cultural and social events and excursions, professional development tools, training, a workshop, an HR assessment, visa assistance and more.

Elizabeth
Bogota, Colombia
Johns Hopkins University

Valuable Experience In Medellin

I went into my internship with specific goals: improve my language skills, learn more about the health care system in Colombia, and attempt to make professional connections that could help me get a job locally. I think my goals were more or less met, so I was satisfied with the program. The language classes at EAUFIT were excellent, and I wish I had had more time to participate in those. The hospital staff were very nice, and were very kind to me during my nursing internship. I quickly learned that due to the low salaries and long hours, working as a nurse in Colombia probably wasn't for me. My third goal of meeting professional contacts wasn't really met because Sabaneta was such a small hospital, and the staff that ended up working there were not very well connected. I wish there had been opportunities to see a bigger hospital or go to networking events with other physician or nurse leaders in Colombia, as well as opportunities to have a real mentor (perhaps a nurse educator or nurse manager). The staff nurses in Sabaneta were just not capable of fulfilling this role, and only had familiarity with their small piece of the overall healthcare system. The physical practice of medicine in Sabaneta was actually very ethically challenging for me (it did not meet Western standards by a long shot), but that's another story.

I thought the social calendar for the group was well managed, and the lodgings were fine for student accomodations. The staff was very supportive and engaged, and I enjoyed working with all of them. I would recommend this program to others who want a professionally-geared study abroad experience with the caveat that their paying a huge premium for the convenience of having everything set up for them.

Sabaneta was a nice hospital with good staff, but it would have been more useful professionally to be in a bigger, more modern hospital. The staff at Sabaneta really had no idea how to manage a foreign nurse with only student experience, and my opportunities to get hands on were sometimes limited when they conflated my lack of language skills with a lack of nursing skills (which isn't true).

Also, while the Intern LA staff is fantastic and super supportive, sometime it took too long to respond to requests. With the whole issue about the roaches in my bedroom, it took many days to make a change. That made it hard to settle in.

Finally, there could be more transparency about the cost and what exactly the money is going towards. Sometimes it felt like we were being taken advantage of, especially after talking to students in my Spanish class at the University and hearing how much the classes actually cost; how much similar lodging really cost; how interns are usually paid in Colombia; etc. I completely understand that services like this come at a premium, and that there will be administrative charges on top of the actual cost of living, but there seemed to be a good $2500 gap between the actual cost and the price I paid (per month). I'm still not sure exactly where that all went. And while the living accomodations were perfectly acceptable, they were by no means luxury (I really thought I had moved past the day when I would share one bathroom with five other people). Finally, I thought there were going to be more professional development opportunities (workshops, talks, etc.), but none took place during the 6 weeks I was there. I initially signed up for this program because it advertised these opportunities, so I was disappointed there weren't more offerings.

Response from The Intern Group

Hi Elizabeth, we are pleased you would recommend our program. Thank you for your comments concerning the health care system in Colombia. It is precisely this kind of insight that we want our interns to develop during their experience as it encourages you to explore the differences between cultures. We’re sorry you felt that the breakdown of our fee was not communicated very well; we assure you that the cost of the entire program is maintained at the most economical for all involved. We’re pleased you found our Intern Latin America Staff so helpful and supportive as our interns well-being is our top priority during their internship.

Brittany
New York, NY

Internship in Pediatrics

Every morning attend classes 8-10am
Go to the clinic or hospital from 11am-3pm
Spanish tutor 4-6
Study
Eat dinner, go out with friends

Clinic consisted of interviewing the children and the family members, performing a physical exam, reporting the findings to the attending, and discussing the case at the bedside with the family.

How this program could be improved:

I was fortunate enough to live with family friends who live in Medellin, however the original housing I was supposed to be, I did not like very much.
I would suggest allowing students to actually live with a family to get the full experience like I did.
Eat the food, speak the language, spend the weekend doing what typical Paisas would do :)

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel their career development forward. The Intern Group