Experience a Real Internship in Your Field in China

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Global Apprenticeship.

Do you want a real experience in China? Where you can dive into your field and learn as much as you can with personal mentorship from industry experts? You are guaranteed an internship that is customized to your career goals, personality, skill-set and availability.

We hire for companies of all sizes and industries, such as Ernst & Young, KPMG, CID Group, ECOLAB, PayPal, Continuum Innovation and King & Wood Mallesons Law Firm.

Our mentors range from senior managers in Fortune 500 companies to tech entrepreneurs to lawyers to investors. We train young adults to be successful global citizens.

We are also the only program that offers you post-internship support which means we will continue supporting you if you were to return to China in the near future. Let us kick-start your career in China.

Frédéric

Just the Right Internship

My aim by going through GA to find an internship was to work with a company in China. I made my decision when I was in India, a few months before moving into Shanghai, taking part in a student exchange program. I was struggling to find an internship in Montréal (my hometown) that would have flexible enough dates to match the Indian university calendar. Being away from home, I couldn't attend networking events so all the odds were against me for finding an internship in Québec.

Once I contacted GA, everything went really quickly and I had a Skype interview with Cristina. We talked about my skills and what I was looking for in an internship. On her side, she explained to me what the companies were looking for in an intern and the needed experience I needed to have in order to get into certain internships. After the Skype call, she then started sending me a bunch of internships offers from different companies. I was receiving about 5 emails a day with different job descriptions. In Shanghai, everything is about networking in the expat community, and Cristina is pretty good at it. Therefore, she can find internships in a wide variety of business areas just because she knows the right people in town.

The internship I got was pretty challenging in the sense that I was the only person from an engineering background in the company. Therefore, I had to implement on my own a new operations management software that would help the company in scheduling their employees, manage the payroll, ease their accounting and much more. I also expanded my skills in marketing by attending WeChat seminars for example. I also prepared a lot of partnership pitches for the company. Internships in Shanghai are not usually paid (or if they are, it is a very small amount of money), so I wasn't expecting much in terms of salary. However, because of the work I've done there, my employer insisted for giving me a bonus wage. I didn't mind it!

In Shanghai, I was living in Jing'An at the GA flat with Cristina and another flatmate from Australia. The three of us had an absolutely great time. Finding a flat in Shanghai can be challenging, but the GA one was just great. I recommend going to this place if it's not already fully booked.

For those who want to get into China and have no contacts or no idea where to start from, I'd say go ahead with GA. Chances are you are going to find an internship that suits you just well. Cristina is the person you wanna know in Shanghai. She knows where to take aerial yoga lessons, where to find the best poutine in town (now that I told her) and she speaks fluently English, Mandarin and Spanish (try to beat that).

To sum it up, I had an amazing time at work and after work. This was my second internship in a company (the first one being in Montréal) and I got the feeling that I learned much more in Shanghai than in Montréal because what I did was much closer to what I want to do when I graduate.

The internship selection process could be improved. I just a bit confused by receiving so many emails every day.

Nothing else!
Joon

SchoolMatch Internship

I was able to do a lot of great things at my internship! I was able to do a lot of things such as marketing, accounting, business administration, and a lot of other things all while taking in China and Shanghai! I got to see all of Shanghai such as the Bund, Pearl tower, Jing'An temple, and so much more! I got to meet new people and practice my Chinese while I was at it!

One thing that I would change would be more social with the other interns!
Jan

Once in a lifetime experience

When I first applied to the GA internship program I was sort of gambling; to travel far away from home just to complete an internship which I could have also done closer to home. At this point, I was not aware of what an awesome experience I was going to have in Shanghai.

It all started when I was picked up by one of GAs employees at the airport, who brought me to my apartment, hooked me up with a SIM card and metro card and helped me register at the police station. A swift arrival in Shanghai to say the least. On the next day he brought me around the most important landmarks of Shanghai, providing me with valuable advice of how to get around such an culturally-intricate city.

Cristina, who runs GA, deserves a special mention. Cristina will make sure that your experience in Shanghai remains memorable for years to come. Not only is she super friendly but she will go out of her way to make to your stay as pleasant as possible. She is an incredibly well-connected person and will introduce you to many interesting people during your stay. She will take you around Shanghai's greatest eating and cultural spots.

Now to my internship: I have had many working experiences in the past but my internship in the consulting industry in Shanghai has trumped every one of them. I was immersed in a small team environment, which meant that any additional member to the team was a great added value. What was different about this internship was that I was actively assisted in formulating research proposals and business strategies. This gave me a great sense of responsibility and tested my knowledge that I had learnt at university. Additionally, the experience gave me an idea of my strengths and weaknesses within a professional environment and provided me with a framework on which parts of my skill set I needed to work on. My four month internship developed me as a future employee, but most importantly as an independent individual.

I could not have imagined my time in Shanghai to be better. GA and Cristina truly exceeded my expectations and am very grateful for this wonderful experience.

bgeng

Fascinating experience

The internship overall was a fascinating experience. When I first joined this program, the biggest worry was the credibility of internship opportunities. I was afraid that the company would not be rewarded enough as I was told. However, this was never a problem. Cristina and her team helped me a lot during the early stage. They offered decent advice in resume and interview preparations. For the internship opportunities, after reviewing all my information, Cristina provided several companies that exactly matched my taste. Finally, with the assistance in interview, I got a really satisfying position.

Life in Shanghai is different but exciting. Cristina helped me keep connected with the company. In addition, I do appreciate her help in looking for apartment for me. My 3-month internship gave me a deeper understanding of what I am chasing for my career. I would always cherish this period of time learning and growing.

Neal

Experience of a Lifetime

There are so many tremendous things I can say about my overall internship experience in Shanghai. Cristina and her staff made my transition into a foreign country as smooth as possible which I was somewhat nervous about upon landing in Shanghai. The hospitality began right when I landed as one of GA's employees picked me up at the airport and showed me where I would be staying for the next 3 months. From there the amazing adventure began!

I would love to talk about all the different adventures that happened but there isn't enough time in the day. In all seriousness though, the reason why I had a fabulous time is because of Cristina. She showed us where to eat, shop, explore, pretty much everything you can think of. We would have weekly dinners either together or with contacts that applied to my interests (sports and media). Cristina and the other interns became my Shanghai family and I will never forget all the fun and crazy things we did together.

During our interview I told Cristina I wanted to learn how to run a sports company because I planned on getting my masters in sports management. Cristina set me up with an internship with a prestigious sports training academy which allowed me to learn and understand the nuances of sports business. Everyday, I was mentored by either the Director of Soccer or the Director of High Performace Tennis. My internship was everything I could ask for.

If you're contemplating in doing the program..just do it! You wont regret it.

Matthew

Inspirational Shanghai

This internship has been simply pleasing. Not only I learn more about the industry I want, I also had the chance to work with two start-up companies. This helps me learn more about how to expand a business, notably in Asia Pacific region.

The internship was very well designed from the beginning. You'll get a staff to help you get used to the city, the point of interest, and its facilities. Global Apprenticeship also offers private Chinese classes which really helps your journey throughout the land of China. In addition to that, you'll also get more exposure in diverse industries as multiple workshops and job-shadowing sessions are offered.

Last but not least, everything is simple and taken care of. I managed to stay in a hotel, where their rent a month is much cheaper than living in an apartment or house family in the states. It is also near to the city center and the subway (which is very comfortable).

Having said all of that, I would definitely recommend Global Apprenticeship to anyone who's looking for not only a regular internship, but a life-changing experience.

Anonymous

My highly productive and exciting summer in Shanghai

My experience with the Global Apprenticeship program in China was truly phenomenal. Cristina and the other employees went above and beyond in making sure that both my internship and my experience living in Shanghai were better than I imagined before I left. What surprised me most was how hospitable and friendly the GA team was to myself and the other interns throughout our stays. Arriving at the airport late at night, I was instantly greeted by a GA employee who showed me my room and set me up with a phone, maps, a conversational Chinese pamphlet along with everything else that someone who just arrived in a completely new country would need. Throughout the trip I was comfortable calling Cristina directly for any tips on restaurants, sites or any other information that I needed to know. Furthermore, Cristina and her team regularly showed us where the real gems of Shanghai were, including the best restaurants, malls, shows, temples and gardens. I noticed that as the trip progressed the interns and the GA team all became very close. For example, on one of our last days together we set up a poker tournament at Cristina’s apartment after she cooked us all an amazing dinner. It was a wonderful experience meeting the GA team and I will surely keep in contact with them in the future.

My internship in Shanghai was also invaluable in establishing a foundation for my career. Because I wished to work as a consultant, the GA team found me an internship in a reputable Chinese consulting firm with intelligent and highly distinguished employees. In the short amount of time that I was in Shanghai, I was able to increase my general business knowledge and learn the intricacies of business practices within an emerging economy. Not only did the GA team find me the internship that I wanted but they also helped me network remarkably during my stay. I actually ended up meeting with high-level employees at major global consulting firms including Ernst & Young and McKinsey & Company in which I learned a great deal about their firms along with how to prepare for interviews. The GA team also set up an all-you-can-eat lunch for 30 people, which included well-established entrepreneurs, financial managers and venture capitalists from around the area. I was also able to keep in touch with these excellent contacts through LinkedIn and other social networking sites. Thus, my experience in Shanghai allowed me to build knowledge and establish essential contacts to help me reach my career goals afterwards.

The GA program went above and beyond any expectations that myself and the other interns had about our trips to Shanghai. I am now getting ready to be interviewed at major global consulting firms in which my internship experience will be the topic of discussion. I recommend the program to any motivated student looking for an exciting and valuable experience to learn more about his/her desired profession in a region that is becoming one of the most prominent centers for work opportunities in the world. And, not only will the GA program help you reach your professional goals, but it will also expose you to new and exhilarating cultures, foods and people that will change your perspective on life. Because of my experience, I can honestly say that I cannot wait to return back to Shanghai within the near future.

Jonathan

Awesome experience

This program has been essential to lock in my internship for the summer. I tried to find an internship in Shanghai on my own, but after months of applications, dozens of emails, and no response, I decided that my best bet would be to find a program.
Luckily, through a friend's advice, I found my way to GA where the service was excellent and the price was reasonable. Actually, compared to all the other programs I found, GA is a bargain. Anyways, it's not only about helping me find an internship it's more about finding the RIGHT internship. I explained to GA about my experience and my hopes in an internship and sure enough, the internship I have is remarkable and inspiring to me in every way.
Also, if you are wondering if an internship in Shanghai is right for you, then my advice is to just go with it and give it a try. Shanghai is a harbor for international businesses which makes for a fast-pace, competitive environment. Even though that may sound scary, the experience and the knowledge you receive from a single summer internship here will be enough to fuel you for at least two internships anywhere else. Shanghai is the perfect place to learn and GA is the perfect program to do it through.