Travellers Worldwide - Turtle Conservation in Bali

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Travellers Worldwide.

Assist a Turtle Conservation project located on an island which is a 45 minute speed boat ride from mainland Bali. The project is in its early stages and you'll contribute to collecting vital baseline data on the turtle population on Nusa Penida. You might identify turtle species, collect eggs, monitor nests or see hatchlings get safely to sea.

Hussa

dental placement in nepal + orphanage

I enjoyed very much my placemet in Nepal. The Travellers Worldwide staff in Nepal were very welcoming and supported us throughout the whole project.

The country is very different to what we are used-to and even crossing the busy streets was scary for us because there were no light signals. So the staff were very supportive in making sure that someone walked with us to and from work for all the workdays during those 2 weeks. They also organized a trip of 2 nights in a national park where we got so see another Nepali town and also experience things such as an elephant ride and canoeing.

My days were spent teaching students at a local dental Hygienist college in the mornings; and in the afternoons I would help out at the orphanage. At the college, I gave them lectures about dental topics and then I would give them a practical session at clinic to apply the things they have learned in the lecture and gain new dental skills. The students were a joy to teach and they were very eager to learn!

My afternoons at the orphanage were spent helping managing arts and crafts class helping organizing a baseball game. We also organized a Dental event at the orphanage where we taught them the importance of oral hygiene. I demonstrated how to brush their teeth and we put them in groups where they would play "dentist" and "patient" roles and inspect each others teeth and show each other how to brush their teeth using the toothbrushes handed out to each person.

It was a very enjoyable placement where I gained so many new experiences, enough to make a huge impact on my life right now. I am very lucky to have joined this placement through Travellers Worldwide, as I had constant support from them before, during, and even after my placement. I definitely will think about joining Travellers Worldwide for my next volunteer project.

Thank You, Travellers Worldwide!

I expected to do lots of dental work, however, this was not the case. There was a good amount of local dental staff at the dental hospital in Kathmandu, so me doing dental work on patients would not really help them much. So I decided to teach the neighbouring dental hygiene school instead! Giving them lectures and practical clinical sessions was an amazing experience! I just wished I knew about this before so that I could have prepared even more teaching material,
/bring more textbooks, etc.