Economic opportunities grow a community, one person at a time. Spending a semester with the Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD), as a business intern in Africa, India, or Latin America, will provide you the opportunity to work directly with diverse community members while accelerating your skills as a future professional. FSD currently works with more than 50 community-based organizations focusing on enterprise developmet that offer internships in business.
Interns are matched with a host organization, learn about their priorities, and work with their host-colleagues to develop a project plan that aligns with the organization's mission and will advance efforts that are important to the community. Some interns may work on developing brand new projects, and others strengthen existing projects, but the focus remains on supporting local needs with local resources to ensure community ownership and long-term effectiveness. An equally important component of this program is that interns live with FSD host-families to foster community integration and cultural understanding.
As a micro and social business development intern with FSD you may have the opportunity to participate in the organization’s day-to-day workflow, teach people how to improve their business, analyze business strategies, facilitate the realization of new business ideas from the community, or help manage current business plans. Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity to intern abroad making an impact in the world!
Successful Candidates Should Be:
- A student studying business administration, economics, or related field of study
- Good at time management, managing one’s own time and the time of others
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Ability to listen to workers concerns
- Experience in accounting, creating budgets and purchasing procedures
- Ability to relate to people from other cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Conversational Spanish for placements in Latin America
Example of Business Administration intern projects
- FSD volunteers and interns have assisted production and/or marketing of fruits and vegetables dehydrated by solar and Eolic energy. The programs aim to reduce poverty and unemployment in Argentina.
- Offering skills training and capacity-building workshops to increase economic independence, empowerment and local employability of women and other underserved groups in India.
- Offering strategic coaching and other consulting services geared toward the successful management of microenterprises run by women in Nicaragua.
View Program Information
This program has not been reviewed yet.