One message can speak to a whole community--and beyond. Spend a semester abroad supporting local organizations through a Marketing & Communication internship with the Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD). This is a unique opportunity to be a part of inspirational change in underserved communities, and work with one of FSD’s community-based partner organizations in Africa, Asia or Latin America to make their voice heard and share their message.
Interns have the opportunity to grow personally and professionally in this culturally immersive and educationally enriching program, while developing skills essential to a career in communication. Communication interns work with their host organization to develop a project aimed at supporting the organization's mission. Some interns may work on developing brand new projects, and others strengthen ongoing efforts, but the focus remains on supporting local needs with local resources to ensure community ownership and long-term effectiveness. An equally important component of this program is that interns live with FSD host-families to foster community integration and cultural understanding.
FSD partners with over 250 community-based organizations globally that provide a wide spectrum of local services that are crucial to community growth and wellbeing. Marketing, Communication and Advocacy interns will use their creativity and marketing-savvy skills to convey the vision and mission of the organization to a broader audience, often through website development, social media, print materials, campaigns and more. Interns should be flexible and self-motivated in order to recognize the organization's needs and collaborate on innovative solutions. FSD interns bring a powerful source of support and diverse perspectives for FSD partner organizations and the people they serve.
Successful Candidates Should Be:
- Students studying marketing, communication, advertising, business, or a similar field
- Motivated to work in rural areas and among underserved populations
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and with little material resources
- Culturally respectful, wants to learn more than teach
- Curious and a good listener
- Resilient, open-minded, and hard-working
- Creative and positive problem-solver, adaptable to challenging environments
- Genuinely interested in community development and integrating into the community
- Good at content writing
- Conversational Spanish for placements in Latin America