Projects Abroad: Global Medicine & Healthcare Internship Placements

Projects Abroad: Global Medicine & Healthcare Internship Placements

Intern with Projects Abroad across the globe. Choose from placements in medicine, nursing, midwifery, dentistry, public health, physical therapy, occupational or speech therapy and nutrition.

Global Medicine & Healthcare Internship Placements Available
Weekly Hours

Stephanie
Toronto, Canada

My Medicine Volunteer Trip in Sri Lanka

This volunteer trip to Sri Lanka was extremely eye-opening. We had many opportunities to explore different sections of the hospital like the emergency care unit, paediatrics, the labour ward and the surgical theatre. My personal favourites were the labour ward and the surgical theatre. While the other sections were interesting at times, they tended to move at a slower pace. I am personally interested in pursuing a career in the OB-GYN field, so being able to see live births and interactions between doctors, nurses, mothers and babies was really amazing. Sometimes, it was difficult to communicate to doctors or nurses because of certain language barriers or because they were simply too preoccupied with their work. However, we were often very impressed by the hospital staff's kindness and welcoming attitude towards us as well as their patience when they took time to explain what they were doing or a certain patient’s condition.
After our time in the hospital, our co-ordinator took us out around the city we were staying in (Panadura, just one hour south of Colombo). We visited markets, temples and even the beach. The beach was absolutely breath-taking. Some of the sunset pictures I took are definitely Instagram-able and the water was just perfect. We spent one weekend during our trip visiting a city named Kandy. We visited baby elephants, watched a traditional dance show, ate some delicious food and visited other attractions around the city. Back in our host city, we attended two educational seminars about the healthcare system in Sri Lanka and traditional medicine amongst Indigenous people in the country. We also helped out at two medical camps where we measured the BMIs, glucose levels and blood pressure of individuals in the community as well as helped a pharmacist prescribe certain patients with medication.
Projects Abroad staff are also very kind. Before I even left, my volunteer advisor answered all my questions and concerns and I felt very prepared. However, at the airport in Toronto, my flight got delayed which messed up the rest of my connecting flights to Sri Lanka. I had to completely re-organize my flights myself and the staff did not respond to their emergency phone lines when I called to try and notify them about the delay. I felt like Projects Abroad could have done more and should have been more prepared for the situation. Regardless, I still made it to my destination safely, just a little late.
At the host family, we were treated very well. The woman and her husband who took care of us were very friendly. We had delicious food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and felt very comfortable in our rooms.
The other high school students on the trip were also very friendly and we bonded very quickly. One problem we encountered was that some of the students did not speak English very well. We were still able to communicate somewhat, but they struggled in the hospital when they tried to interact with hospital staff. I think individuals who attend a Projects Abroad trip must either speak English fluently or speak the language of the country they are travelling to fluently. This will ensure they will get the best out of their experience and not miss out because of language barriers.
This trip really helped me decide what I want to do with my future. Being a high school student applying to university in just a couple of months, there is a lot of pressure to decide what program I want to be a part of. Going to Sri Lanka and meeting doctors, seeing patients, helping patients, asking countless questions and writing pages and pages of notes really showed me that medicine is what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was incredible and unique first hand experience that I do not think I could have received anywhere else. I truly recommend this program for any high school student. But make sure you can handle the sight of blood.

nicole
canada

Nursing Internship

My experience with projects abroad was amazing. I went into this placement as a curious student of biology, wondering if I should go into the profession of nursing. My day to day tasks consisted mostly of shadowing nurses, doctors and other clinical professionals in the town of Chitwan, Nepal. I witnessed several cesarean sections, orthopedic surgeries, and debridement of burned victims.
I also took part in pop up treatment camps in some rural villages, where I took vital signs to aid in the care of patients.
Making friends was easy, where I had the pleasure of spending down time with a nurse from France, a physiotherapist from Sweden, a physician from Spain, and many others from different walks of life. Help was available at the drop of a hat as well, with the volunteer coordinator being available 24/7.
I want to go back and help out as a full fledged registered nurse in a couples years after I finish my degree, and I plan to go with projects abroad with their medical professional program

Maybe some education on pathophysiology or other medical topics would be interesting! Then again, I love science courses, while others may find it boring.

Sophia
Berkeley
University of California- Berkeley

Medical Internship in Nepal

I spent a month in Nepal over summer to intern at the Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital in Bharatpur, and it was a great decision. Even before I left, Projects Abroad staff were available for support and any questions I had. They also booked my flights for me, which I appreciated. When I arrived at the Kathmandu Airport, a staff member was waiting to pick me up and take me to the hotel, where I met some other volunteers and had an orientation to introduce me to the culture and my placement.

During my placement in Bharatpur, I was in the hospital from 7am-1pm in various wings (OB/GYN, OR and ER, the pathology lab, the pediatrics ward, and the orthopedics department). I witnessed three live births, a C-section, and some interesting ER cases, and my favorite part was talking to the doctors and nurses on call.

My host family was absolutely amazing and I miss them so much! My host mom was very supportive and constantly made sure that all of the accommodations were nice. The food she cooked was delicious, and I quickly learned that being vegetarian in Nepal is easy because the cuisine revolves around vegetables and rice.

Projects Abroad staff who lived in Bharatpur checked in with the volunteers every week to make sure that there were no problems with the host family or other volunteers. We also discussed what had happened during the week, placement changes, and any plans for weekend excursions, which we did almost every weekend. This was a good support system for anyone who was suffering from culture shock or homesickness.

Nepal is a beautiful country with so much to see and do, and the Nepali people are some of the most accepting, curious people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I will definitely return when I have a chance, and would recommend a visit to anyone!

Kelsey
Blacksburg Virginia
Virginia Polytechnic Institute

Medical Internship in Chitwan, Nepal

Almost two years ago, I decided that I wanted to do some sort of volunteer work in a foreign country. At the time, I was a pre-med student, so I settled on a medical internship. That was the easy part. After I decided what I wanted to do, I had to choose a program and a country. I googled something like, "volunteering abroad," and one of the first sites to pop up was Projects Abroad. After exploring the site and reading reviews, I decided that the program was perfect for me! At this point, I had the two of the three parts needed to start my trip. I looked at the Projects Abroad map, and looked for the country that was farthest away from my home. That's how I settled on Nepal as my temporary home for a month.

I landed in Kathmandu, Nepal with an information packet and a list of contact numbers. My airport pick-up was arranged by Projects Abroad through the hotel that I would be staying at for the next couple of days. The next morning, I was met by one of the Projects Abroad coordinators, who went over my information packet with me and answered my questions. The coordinator was incredibly helpful and made me feel very comfortable.

The next morning, I boarded a bus to Chitwan, a small, rural town four hours away from Kathmandu. I was escorted by a Nepalese man employed by Projects Abroad. I was shocked when the bus finally stopped in the middle of nowhere--which turned out to be my final destination. I have to say I absolutely LOVED Chitwan, which was largely due to the amazing host family I stayed with it. My host family consisted of a husband, wife, and their two sons. They were all so welcoming and helped my get used to my new surroundings.

Every morning, I walked about 8 minutes to a tuk tuk (rickshaw) stop, and rode it to the equivalent of main street in Chitwan. I then walked a short distance to the hospital where I had the opportunity to be assigned to a variety of departments. I learned a lot about how medicine is performed in Nepal and I even got to observe a few surgeries! I had an absolutely priceless and life-changing experience and I never once felt unsafe while in Nepal. Projects Abroad provided some amazing coordinators and staff who where on site to help guide me and the other amazing volunteers.

I would want the coordinators and staff at each location to have more of a relationship with the medical community. This might help each volunteer to find a specialty that they really enjoy.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those