Connect-123 Design, Film & Photography Internships

Connect-123 Design, Film & Photography Internships

Let your creative juices flow while building your portfolio with an international internship in fashion, photography, film, or design with Connect-123!

Immerse yourself in one of five culturally rich and diverse cities: Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Dublin, or Shanghai. Connect-123 has an extensive network of contacts in each one of them with local businesses and organizations and will help you land your dream internship. Past interns have enjoyed creating bespoke items at an Irish fashion design house, working at a graphic design firm in Buenos Aires, providing production assistance for Barcelona’s film industry, and advancing their photography skills in Cape Town.

Program durations and start and end dates are flexible to fit your needs. Connect-123 local staff provide on-the-ground support before, during, and after your internship including housing assistance, in-depth orientation, social events, cultural activities, as well as career support and guidance.

• Tailored placements! Connect-123 will arrange an internship that works with your specific background, skills and interests.
  • Flexibility! Connect-123 can provide you with an internship experience that works best for you, whether you're looking for a summer internship, or a longer one, Connect-123 can help you find an internship that works best for you.
  • Our program deposit is completely refundable!
Africa » South Africa » Cape Town

Rachel
Texas
Texas Christian University

Best Internship in the Best City

My internship through Connect-123 was definitely my best summer so far. I interned at a television production company in Barcelona. Not only was I able to gain experience in television production, but I was also able to do it in the amazing city of Barcelona. My first day, I was out on the streets filming something for an upcoming broadcast. I worked on a television episode, a broadcast of the Copa del Rey, and a taping of Cirque de Soleil in Madrid. My placement was amazing, and my experience was above and beyond what I expected, and Lea provided so much support throughout my stay. She is very helpful in communicating with you about your goals for an internship and finding the placement that suits your needs. She also provided housing option and socialization opportunities for the whole program. Meeting the other interns made the stay in a foreign city a lot of fun. Lea organizes
meet ups and activities to get to know each other as well as the city of Barcelona. Barcelona is hands down one of the most energetic and exciting cities I've been to. It is very laid back but also very cultural. The people are very nice so it is a great place for first-timers. I chose this program because it was by far the most flexible and affordable that I came across. Also, by housing interns in Barcelona with other students, rather than living in a dormitory, you get the full experience of living within a city and meeting people from all over Europe who come for the summer. A+

Caitlin
St. Louis, Missouri
Missouri State University

Dublin Internship Summer 2015

I didn’t think it possible, but my experience in Dublin far surpassed my expectations. I had never been so far from home before, and going to a foreign country where I knew absolutely no one, I was definitely nervous. However, I ended up having an unsurpassable summer from beginning to end. Had I done this through any program other than Connect-123, I don’t think I would have had such a wonderful experience.

I was placed with Underground Films as an intern in their script and research department. While I had initially been looking for something in the publishing industry, I am incredibly grateful for the experience my internship has given me. Before getting in touch with Underground through Connect, I had never had any inclination in finding a career in the film industry; now, since returning home, I am actively attempting to pursue one. I learned an incredible amount from my internship, which delved further than basic research and script review into the inner workings of a successful film company.

My experience also would not have been so amazing had I not been able to find such a great group of friends on day one. Staying on UCD’s campus had a long list of benefits, but being able to meet and live with other Connect participants was at the top. I was able to form strong friendships straight away, which definitely made the summer.

Having never left the states before, being able to travel to three different countries, and across all of Ireland, in just three months has definitely opened my eyes, and allowed me to learn more about the world, especially Irish culture, than I could have hoped. I am so beyond grateful to Connect-123 for setting me up in an amazing city and with a fascinating internship position.

Zahra
Glendale, California
University of Southern California

Best Time of My Life

Connect 123 left a lasting impression on me, even four years later. I was able to grow professionally, personally and expand my world view, all while having fun at the same time. Gabby Kelly was our coordinator and she helped a lot with our transition.

Connect 123 provide great programming for the students. I enjoyed going to Robben Island and learning about Nelson Mandela's history there. We also went to a game lounge where our truck got stuck in a sand ditch just a few yards away from a cheetah that killed an ostrich. It was never a dull moment!

I interned with fashion designer Thulare Monareng to help promote her brand during the 2010 World Cup. I organized events, photo shoots, created communication/publicity plans and was able to learn so much about the South African fashion industry and culture. It inspired me so much that I wrote my graduate thesis on the topic.

The most challenging, yet rewarding, aspect was meeting students from the Centre of Science and Technology (COSAT) in Khayelitsha. I worked with a student on "Democracy is..." a student journalism program. We walked through various parts of the township where I met many people who lived without running water, electricity and plumbing. I even met a 75-year-old woman who was stabbed while using one of the public restrooms in the township. Knowing that these students lived in these conditions, yet were able to attend such a prestigious school is a testament to their perseverance. It was an eye opening experience.

Cape Town is a beautiful city filled with the nicest people I've ever met. I know that one day (hopefully soon!) I will return to the Mother City.

The Perspectives building was great, but we did have an issue with a water leak in our flat. Other than that the programming was fantastic from what I can recall.

Connect-123 develops and administers internship programs in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Cape Town, South Africa; Shanghai, China; Dublin, Ireland; and Barcelona, Spain. In all countries, internship opportunities are hosted by local companies, non-profit organizations, schools, research institutes and health care clinics. In South Africa, study abroad