Most Affordable Environmental Internships in South Africa with Intern Abroad HQ

Affordable Environmental Internships in South Africa
Affordable Environmental Internships in South Africa
Environmental Conservation internships in South Africa

Intern Abroad HQ South Africa Environmental Internships are located in Dinokeng Game Reserve, Kruger National Park and Sodwana Bay.

Whether you're interested in habitat management, research, marine conservation, or ecology, the programs provide an excellent platform to boost your understanding of how scientific careers come to life. The internships include educational lectures, to provide comprehensive insight and understanding. Get ready for the conservation experience of a lifetime!

Internships through Intern Abroad HQ are flexible and affordable. All internships include a guided reflection course, to foster the acquisition of essential soft skills for better employability and a resilient career. Applications are accepted year-round - feel free to reach out and let us know if you have any questions!

Intern Abroad HQ is proudly brought to you by International Volunteer HQ - Trusted by over 100,000 volunteers around the world since 2007.

• Receive pre-departure and 24/7 in-country support
  • Customised internship placements
  • Affordable fees
  • Flexible start dates
  • Short term duration

Jeff

Experience of a Lifetime!

My experience with Intern Abroad HQ was incredibly smooth, organized, and simply one I will never forget. From the moment I submitted my application, I was put in touch with a specialist at Intern Abroad HQ who provided me with all the information I required and was always available for an email or a phone call if I had any questions. The information package provided was incredibly detailed and answered all of the questions I had about the program and the process.

I participated in the wildlife conservation internship at Dinokeng Game Reserve in South Africa. The moment I arrived at the airport I was met by my transfer to the reserve. The field guides I had on the reserve were extremely knowledgeable and helpful in being able to adjust to life on the reserve and the work to be done. Throughout my time the work involved a mix of both manual labour (fence and tree removal) as well as data collection. It was such a joy to wake up every morning surrounded by wildlife and then head out on the reserve and work so closely with the animals. The field guides also did a great job to break up the work throughout the day to avoid the high heat of the South African afternoons. Safety was also a major concern for the field guides and I never felt unsafe during my one month on the reserve. They even provided a lecture to review animal behaviour and how to conduct yourself should an encounter with an animal occur.

On top of feeling like the work I was doing was making a concrete difference for the wildlife of Dinokeng, I also left the experience with friendships with people from around the world; many of which I know will last long after the experience ended. I cannot speak enough about how this experience challenged me and provided me with a feeling of accomplishment in the work I was doing. I will definitely be volunteering abroad again one day and know it will be with Intern Abroad HQ.

Response from Intern Abroad HQ

Hi Jeff, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! It was an absolute pleasure to host your internship at Dinokeng, in South Africa. We're glad that you found the experience challenging, worthwhile, and rewarding. We'd love to host you again in the future. In the meantime, we wish you all the best going forward and hope that you'll keep having adventures. Cheers, from Dallas and the Intern Abroad HQ crew :-)

Sophie

Rewarding and Worth It.

My time spent abroad on my placement in Dinokeng, South Africa was one of the most rewarding experiences I could have asked for. I spent 8 weeks on a beautiful game reserve, and I did not once feel alone or unwelcome. Everyone is kind and welcoming getting there, and all your questions beforehand will quickly be answered by Intern Abroad. Highly recommend, I will cherish my time from this summer forever.

More of a difference between volunteer and interning - maybe different work environments, or different placements.
Response from Intern Abroad HQ

Hi Sophie,
I'm happy that your time in Dinokeng on the South Africa Environmental internship is something that you'll cherish. Thank you for making such an effort and for being a kind and positive intern. We wish you the best with the future pursuit of your passions and whatever adventures they lead you on - from Dallas and the Intern Abroad HQ team :-)