Business & Start Up Internships in Cape Town

Business Internship
Business Internship
Hardatwork
Hardatwork

A business-focused internship in Cape Town offered through VACorps will give you incredible access to the world of business in a foreign country. South Africa is an emerging global economy and is a member of BRICS, the economic trade union that includes Brazil, Russia, India and China.

Accordingly, there are a variety of fascinating companies in Cape Town where you will have the opportunity to improve your understanding of business, finance, and entrepreneurship. The overall experience will enhance your global perspective of business opportunity and could also result in your establishment of lasting professional connections in South Africa.

Our business internships are wide-ranging across numerous sectors. These include:
- Tech Startups
- Accounting
- Finance
- Business Development
- Marketing

Contact us today to learn more about these unique opportunities in Cape Town!

• Tailored Internship Placement
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Support
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • Flexible Program Housing
  • Weekly Culture Series

Laura

Excitement...it goes along way!

Moving to South Africa for 3 months was not something I deliberately set out to do; last summer when I started looking into studying abroad, I realised my school didn't have any options that I truly was interested in and began searching for alternatives. I stumbled upon some "Intern Abroad" companies and somehow came across VAC - and that's when I began to fall in love with the idea of venturing to Cape Town (especially after my 40 minute phone call with Oliver). Most of my friends decided to study abroad together in larger groups, all in Europe, but I didn't want to country hop every weekend and I didn't want to already know everyone prior to arriving. I wanted a unique experience that would make me a bit uncomfortable at times because when you go beyond your comfort zone, amazing things can happen. The experience I gained at my internship site was fantastic - I worked for Startupbootcamp AfriTech, a startup accelerator that assists FinTech startups across the continent in meeting investors, mentors, and potential partners, as well as Uprise.Africa, South Africa's first equity crowdfunding platform. The amount of responsibility and ownership I was given was a bit astonishing to me; as a 19 (now 20) year old, there was no concern or thought given to my age - all that mattered was the quality of the work I was doing. I loved my coworkers and already miss rocking up to work every morning.
I think that overall the best part of VAC and the best part about South Africa in general is meeting so many different people. In a program like VAC or using a company like Rent-A-Room for housing, you will meet people from literally all over (some of my best mates here are from the Netherlands and some live 40 minutes away from me back in the States) and honestly make some longtime friends (which is great if you love to travel!). I lived in 197 Lower Main, the house with 17 people, and I would definitely recommend living there if you want to feel like you're part of a family (fair warning, if you like it quiet then maybe a different house would suit you better). The trek to work was a bit far (I worked near the V&A Waterfront), but it was worth it - life in Obs is great; there's a variety of food options, bars, etc.
If you're coming to intern with VAC, maximise your time in Cape Town, in South Africa….there is so much to see and do and experience. I was only here for 3 months but I desperately wish it was longer. I also went on the MozKruger trip, which was INCREDIBLE. Mozambique is a hidden gem and the only way you will get to truly experience it is with the crew from VAC (I only say this because it would be so difficult and expensive without Sean & Jon (and Kim & Carmen!!!)…also, it wouldn't be as fun). 100% get scuba certified and dive as many times as possible in Mozambique - no one else will have the same experience as you. I have seen some amazing Instagram posts showing off weekend aways in Europe or astonishing Spring Break trips…but trust me, they can't compare to Mozambique (or Kruger!!! We saw baby elephants and rhinos and cheetahs…AHHHH so cool!)

if you want to have a different experience and are up for an adventure (and are good when it comes to going with the flow), then VAC is perfect for you.

Tips for future interns would be own everything and every project you touch; go above and beyond expectations and you really will get an amazing experience.
Manuel

Business Startup Internship

Background: I had just graduated from University and I did not have any internship experience. I searched for a possible place to go, and South Africa caught my eye! It was far from home and so pretty based on the youtube videos / pictures I saw.

Application: I applied and the process was fast, straightforward. I received my placement and began emailing with someone direct from VAC. They provided a really detailed what to expect document. Seriously I knew everything I needed to know before arriving.

1st Day: My 1st day two people went with me to the train station and took me direct to the office building I would call the office for the next several months. My internship was amazing! learned so much and inspired me to love startup ecosystem.

Activities via VAC: Every Friday we would go and do activities, now these would vary. Sometimes it was a hike, or going to the Winelands, Tea tasking, To events around the city. Seriously anything - and take advantage of it. When I arrived I knew no one, a week into it I became close with the people I lived with. Then when I went on an activity right after that I became so close with everyone. I still try to keep in contact with them, even those who live in my State.

My Internship: I had a really open office, we all became close to one another. We sometimes would play cricket inside the building. I got the chance with some seriously brilliant people, they were so impressive to be around. I was luck enough to get another internship with one of the companies after my “main” internship and that turned into an even more! We became so close! I even came back to Cape town to intern again with them, and then decided to stay longer 2 times after that.

If you have questions: VAC was so helpful when it came to any problems or questions I may have, they were just a WhatsApp away! Plus the houses we lived in were so cool, pretty, clean, and also AMAZING friends were made.

Post VAC: To tell you how much VAC has affected my life, I was able to intern for a long time, made brilliant connections in Cape Town's startup world. Met some friends for a lifetime. I was able to return to Cape Town and be with another startup. And finally - when I returned home I was able to get my dream job at a startup in my home city and in the exact role. When talking about my experiences that made me qualified for the job I regularly referred back to my experiences in Cape Town. I should also mention, when I arrived I actually had no idea what I had planned to do as a career, well VAC put me on the path I am on right now. Working in operations at a tech startup in Chicago.

Best Memories: Waking up for a hike on the MANY mountains that surround the city. Being able to be part of some major events at my work. Also my work, we use to go on outings together to help become closer. Going to many tourist sites all over the city multiple times. Even the simplest experiences like binge-watching Lord of the Rings in our house with all of our roommates. All these memories will last me a lifetime.

Honestly, I am having a hard time thinking of things. I guess maybe the only tip I can think of is more on an applicant side. I recommend that an applicant really ask questions, make sure to just make a list and send them. Trust me they will go out of the way to help you and answer anything for you. They provide a lot of info off the bat. Like where to get cash, how to get around, basic sites to see, how to pay for electricity etc.
man with animal
Josh

Life Changing Experience

I finally got the email, I finally got it! I open it and my heart shatters; my biggest desire for the last two weeks had been to go to Cape Town. The email I opened was telling me that I submitted my Application incorrectly and would not be accepted to University of Cape Town that Fall. I was devastated. Naturally the entrepreneur in me decided to start searching for another option. I applied to about 100 tech companies in South Africa and kept getting the same response. “Sorry but we don’t hire foreigners, if you make it to cape town perhaps we can meet for coffee”. None of the companies I wanted to work for wanted me to come work for them.
That’s when at about 2AM on a Tuesday I came across VACorps. I got a response to my email within minutes and was set up with an interview the following day. Finally, someone would at least listen to me. VACorps set me up with the elusive internship that I had been looking for within a couple days, and when I finally arrived the internship exceeded expectations.
The second thing that exceeded expectations was the other Interns. For me the people I meet in Cape Town and the Family that I build during my VAC internship made a lifelong impact on who I am as a person and will forever hold an incredibly important place in my heart. I know I will remember the day I left for the rest of my life, VAC was the beginning of a lifelong journey. The incredible opportunity VAC has given me is the single most important trip of my life up until this point.

Lower price, but I feel that the price is worth the people you meet through the program
Brian

Loving life in Cape Town

Cape Town was incredible. I have been to Europe and Asia but Cape Town stands far above them. The mix of culture and history and the placement of the city in such a beautiful spot is unparalleled. My internship allowed me to gain a lot of insight into how an up and coming business operates and because I worked right downtown, I was able to absorb everything the city had to offer and expand my horizons.

Greg

Volunteer Adventure Corps- Africa's Best Internship Company

Via Volunteer Adventure Corps (VAC), I was able to gain access to an established social development company called Heart Capital, which built entrepreneurial businesses in the townships of South Africa. Working on the finance team for Heart Capital, I was able to learn a significant amount about the business side of impact investing as well as the social work that is required on the ground. It was a challenging experience, but one that I benefited from greatly.

As for VAC's program assistance, I couldn't have asked for anything more from an internship program. Unlike many other internship programs, which simply contact you with employer, VAC is there every step of the way. Their program assistants there are accessible 24/7, and they plan fun trips every Friday afternoon. In addition, they plan fun trips to other parts of Africa, often 2 weeks in length, that proved to be experiences! VAC also provided me with convenient and comfortable housing within Cape Town. I truly do no know of another internship company operating at VAC's level...

If there were any negatives to VAC's program, it was that I was unable to make many of their fun, unique Friday afternoon activities due to work obligations.
Kyler

Work hard, play hard

VACorps offered a great experience overall. I spent my time doing a business internship with a startup and absolutely loved it. Some of the highlights were definitely:
- Hand picked internship sites that suited each program participant
- Beneficial work experience that informed my education and career path
- Beautiful city to live and work in
- Amazing people and sense of community
- VACtivities set the program apart from other options
- Solo travel opportunities were incredible
- Global network connections will surely impact my life beyond the VACorps experience
- The choice between structure and freedom