Film Internships in Cape Town

Are you an aspiring filmmaker? If so, learn more about VACorps Cape Town film industry internships. When you’re based in this beautiful part of South Africa, you’ll be staying in the preferred location of the majority of productions that take place in this country. South Africa is home to one of the largest commercial film industries in the southern hemisphere and this industry has exploded in popularity in the last 10 years.

Film internships are seasonal and completely dependent upon when production companies are busy filming or in post-production. Contact us directly to see what we have available during your anticipated internship dates at admissions@vacorps.com or www.vacorps.com/apply

“I never thought I would work for a studio, and it really is a dream job and amazing learning experience to walk through the historic gates of Paramount every day and be a part of the moviemaking process on so many films."

• Internship Placement at a Production Studio
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Support
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • Program Housing
  • Weekly Culture Series

Matthew

Travelling Experience of a life time

Along with my journey around the world, I knew I wanted to see more diverse cultures. Coming from New York and traveling to Australia and New Zealand this past year you really get to learn a lot about the different cultures. Cape Town has its up and downs but there's always new places to see and new things to do. My internship was probably my favorite throughout my journey. From working hands-on with editing films or doing graphic design, I can truly secure what I want to do in the future. Moonsport Tv treated me like family and I thank them for that. My internship being so close, there was always time for new activities. Through Vac with the culture series and Friday excursions, you always are treated like family. Not to mention making new life long friends along the way, No matter how long or short your stay is in Cape Town you will always have a different experience. From going on the garden route trip, which I highly recommend, you truly get to experience a new side of the world. From the people here and my roommates, I've learned so much about the different cultures around the world. Everyone has a different story and it makes you want to help those who need it. In the end, this is Definity an opportunity you should take in life.

It is an amazing experience. If you are looking to grow and learn about life's experiences and want to achieve your dream career goals. I can recommend VACorps. The internship placement, Support and knowing I could call VAC staff if I needed anything, Weekly Activities, Culture Series, VACorps staff support, VACorps Online Guide to mention a few.
Emu

Best City in the World for an Internship

I wasn't sure what to expect from this trip, but I can tell you now that it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. VACorps was super communicative and on top of things during the application process and while I was there. Although I didn't stay near the other VAC students, it ended up working out really well and I was still involved in the weekly activities.

Speaking of activities, VAC always made sure to have something new planned each week (there was never a repeat!) and there were several trip opportunities as well as Monday night Xhosa lessons which were super interesting.

I interned for a small film company in City Central and the people there were just amazing. My boss took me under his wing, making sure I learned every detail of filmmaking and got hands on experience working on sets or editing. When work was slower in January (because holiday just ended), he would give feedback on my work, helping me to improve, and would have me watch and write a review on different influential films. My other coworkers were also super talented and kind, and I definitely felt at home working with all them! I even got to see them again when they visited NYC!

The city of Cape Town, itself, was the cherry on top of the whole trip. The place is absolutely stunning; there's a beautiful view of Table Mountain almost everywhere and there is always so much to do (hiking, wine tasting, garden concerts, surfing, etc.). People there are so friendly and you're almost guaranteed to make great friends from all over the world.

I do have two pieces of advice- if you're internship is based in City Center, look for housing near there so you can walk to work, plus you'd be surrounded by great nightlife and lots of activities. I didn't find Observatory to be that exciting and the AirBnB hostel I stayed at downtown was perfect as there were other interns and travelers there I befriended. My second piece of advice is to make the most of it. Even when you're tired, go watch the sunset on Signal Hill or go to First Thursdays. You'll look back on those moments when it's over!

Overall, I definitely would recommend VACorps and Cape Town to any interested student. You will love it!

Samuel

VAcorps rocks!

I absolutely loved my study/work abroad experience which couldn’t have happened without VAcorps. I first heard about VAcorps through one of their alumni and was instantly hooked. His unbridled excitement about the program intrigued me so I quickly applied for the program. The application/interview process was simple and done over Skype. All my questions about the program and Cape Town were quickly answered during the video calls. After being admitted, VAcorps helped me find an internship with a well-respected video/photo production company.
In the weeks leading up to my departure for Cape Town, VAcorps helped me find housing with other students which was a huge relief. Once I arrived, a VAcorps employee picked me up at the airport and dropped me off at my house providing me with a cellphone so I could let my family know I had arrived safely. Over the next few days, I was given an orientation of Cape Town which helped me get familiarized with the city. In addition to the orientation, on my first day of work a VAcorps employee came along on my commute to show me how the trains worked as well where my office would be.
Between work and my new friends, the next four months were some of the best times I can remember. At work, I learned a great deal through hands-on experience while also still having plenty of time to explore this new country. The weekly VAcorps activities were always fun and provided a great way to bond with other students in the program. Over the next few months, I explored South Africa with the help of VAcorps which organized scuba diving courses, hiking trips as well as a week long adventure to Mozambique.
What stood out to me about VAcorps was its integration of housing, job placement and trips. Through its various programs, I quickly made friends from across the world while exploring this beautiful nation. These friendships make the study abroad experience exponentially more enjoyable.

I would highly recommend VAcorps to anyone looking do an internship in Cape Town. The owner of VAcorps, Sean, is a top-notch guy who goes out of his way to make sure that all of the students in the program love their stay in the mother city.

I felt the program was a bit overpriced but it provided great support.
Caleb

An Excellent Jumping Off Point To Begin Traveling The World

Having never been over seas before, VAC was a godsend in helping me become acclimated to Cape Town, South Africa. Thanks to VAC, I was able to go to Cape Town immediately part of a community of people where I could go hiking with, scuba diving with, dining with, and ultimately push myself to find new inner strengths. Through the program, I was able to take some Xhosa speaking classes, become a certified scuba diver, and intern for Black Media where I filmed/edited numerous events (surfing competitions, DJ conventions, music festivals, soccer tournaments, etc.)

Sure you could probably find many programs that provide similar services, but I guarantee you will not find people as inspiring and fun as the VAC staff. They are always looking to have a good time, and are willing to share that with everyone. On the other hand, When I had to go to the hospital for health concerns, VAC also made me feel comfortable and secure as they constantly checked in to see how I was doing. I went to Cape Town to gain an internship experience (which VAC also helped me locate and secure), but thanks to the VAC staff I gained so much more. When you are looking to join an internship program of any kind you should be looking for the ones that are going to cultivate your skills in all aspects of life. At its core, this is what Volunteer Adventure Corps strives for. I definitely recommend the program to anyone looking for an adventure.

Better communication before arriving in Cape Town as well as communication between the companies providing the internships.
Rob

Volunteer Adventure Corps is THE South Africa internship program.

My time in Cape Town sadly had to come to an end. Luckily, I left with all intentions of returning in the future. I am extremely grateful for finding a company like VAC to establish such an amazing experience for me. My routine of getting up at 8 o'clock every morning, making a pot of coffee, and heading into the Mother City on my scooter never got old. Some days I would head to Big Sky Productions where I was interning and other days I would travel to set and work on a photo or video shoot. My time in Cape Town has inspired me to finish school and venture back into the working world.

I would of loved to have better communication before I arrived. Once I got to Cape Town, everything was amazing but it was a little scary before I showed up.