Gain quality exposure and experience at a grassroots level while you undertake practical fieldwork with some of the most vulnerable children in Cape Town. This is a very unique and hands-on opportunity which offers insight into the emergency foster care system, while at the same time providing professional support.
As an intern, you will be given the responsibility of setting the best development activities for each child in the foster home. You will collate information on new arrivals, set priority task lists, and create action plans. Once these are completed, data will be collected for each child which form parts of tangible assessments on their development. You will also have one on one meetings with the caregivers, doctors and possible family members of the children in the home. During your internship, you will be working with senior social workers to help improve and give advice on all the children's personal development.
- Gain daily exposure to social issues that affect child welfare, covering a myriad of issues from drug, alcohol abuse, health issue of HIV and TB, through to teenage pregnancies.
- Understand key measuring tools for childhood development within a global context.
- Be supported by a Personal Development Coach and Academic Trainer to acquire and develop new skills.
- Understand the process of reunification with families (or foster families) and the support required to ensure the child’s safety and development.
- Spend your weekends exploring the city of Cape Town and enjoying all the incredible adventure activities on offer.