- South Africa
- Cape Town
View Other Details
- Juniors, Seniors, Graduate Students, PhD Students, Continuing Education Adults in the U.S. and International
- Tuition, 3 or 6 credits: The cost per credit depends on your program within The New School. For students outside The New School, each credit is based on the International Affairs per-credit cost.
- IFP program fee: $1,000 – This non-refundable fee covers administrative costs associated with the spring-summer program.
Additional Variable Costs:
- Airfare to and from the IFP location
- Local travel and transportation
- Living and personal expenses beyond housing
- Vaccinations and other medical expenses
The South Africa field program, offered by The New School’s Studley Graduate Program in International Affairs, helps master's, undergraduate, and PhD students reach communities and projects in the townships of Cape Town, South Africa. This program is unlike a traditional internship and it also goes beyond a narrow focus on community service. Instead, it provides students with a critical perspective that is grounded and relevant. The spring coursework prepares you to understand and engage with environmental and social justice battles as well as participatory urban policy narratives.
The summer fieldwork offers you a first-hand perspective of how community-led urban development processes take shape in reality.