Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Europe or Latin America through the Atlantis Fellowship: 1.5-8 week Fellowships during winter or summer breaks.

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe and Latin America since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our Fellows, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our Fellowships to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a fellowship abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience Spanish culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Fellows and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

Jad

Shadowing in Mallorca, Spain

I completed my shadowing in a hospital in Inca, Mallorca.
It was a very beneficial and inspiring experience.
I shadowed in the department of internal medicine during my first week and in the department of gastroenterology during the second week of the program.
I gained a lot of experience during the shadowing hours, where I completed around 40 hours of rounds, clinic hours, endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures, and surgeries.
The program opened my eyes into the world of healthcare and triggered my passion too become the best doctor I can be.
I was able to form many professional relations with hospital staff, and made friends with the Fellows that were in the same program with me. I also learned a lot about the culture of Mallorca during the weekly excursions.
The program is highly recommended for all pre-health students, and especially for people who are not sure if they want to pursue this job.

Alexandria

Atlantis Fellowship Program

My experience was unique as it allowed me to be exposed to medicine. Specifically, I was able to shadow doctors in various departments such as dermatology and neurology for up to 20 hours per week in a beautiful location, namely, Sant Cugat, Spain. In addition, I was able to network tremendously, learn more about myself, and the Spanish culture. Being in Spain with a group was amazing because it allowed me to connect with others that hold similar interests regarding the medical field. Even after the trip, I keep in contact with most of them through the use of social media.

Communicating location information correctly.
Mikayla

What an Experience

The Atlantis program was by far one of the most amazing experiences I have ever been apart of. Visiting another country and standing side by side to the lead surgeons truly reminded me why I love medicine. I never would have gotten the same shadowing experience here in the United States. My favorite memories from my trip was the surgeries I got to see standing a foot away and the small trips we went on as a group!

Nichole

My first time abroad

I was able to speak to doctors that ended up helping me beyond my expectations. This one Anesthesiologist I was shadowing knew doctors in the town I am from and gave me their numbers to shadow them when I got back from Spain. This was the first time I travelled and my site manager made me feel very safe. This was a relief to me because it relieved my stress and made me feel more comfortable with my time abroad. She would immediately answer all of our texts no matter what she was doing or what time it was. If anyone had the smallest problem for example, with the hotel room, she would not waste time in talking to the hotel staff and get all situations resolved. Many of us stayed in contact with her and maintain the friendship. She planned amazing excursions and would take us to the hospital everyday which made me feel very safe. The only thing I regret is not going on more excursions because the others did not want to and I did not want to go alone. I would highly recommend choosing a town close to a major city like Madrid or Barcelona to experience the touristy sites.

They can assure better housing with the amount that it costs to go. I for one had a wonderful hotel and site manager but other people I spoke to ended up getting homes that did not have AC and they brought mites back into their home.
Kalah

Lifechanging

This program was a make or break for me and it convinced me to stick with medicine. I can't describe the overwhelming amount of clarity and helplessness it has provided for me. I think what made it better, was being in a smaller town. I got closer relationships and experienced genuine relationships. I intend to continue my relationship with my site manager, as well as the regional director for the program. If you are able, please go on a trip. I can't vouch for anywhere but spain, but I can say no matter where you go it will xhange your life forever.

This program has come along way and has grown well. I can't say I have any immediate things I would recommend to change or improve.
Rachel

Incredible Learning Experience

I have always been passionate about traveling and experiencing other cultures, so I felt that Atlantis provided the perfect opportunity to combine my interest in those things with my interest in medicine. I believe it is crucial for medicine to be shared across borders, so patients receive the best options of treatment possible. My three weeks in Ponferrada taught me so much about the different fields of medicine, all the while enhancing my passion for becoming a doctor. I could not have asked for a better group of Fellows and doctors with which to share my three weeks. I chose a small city, but could not have loved it more, as I experienced true Spanish culture and made lasting relationships with the doctors I had the pleasure of shadowing.

N/A
Keira

Growing Independence

2017 Fall semester was the worst semester of my sophomore year at UNCO. I love my school, but I was not living to my fullest potential for my pre-med major. I was losing motivation when I hit one of the hardest courses ( organic chemistry ). I felt sick that whole time. Then I saw a poster that my professor was taking a group up to Spain with the Atlantis program and I didn’t even sleep on it. I immediately went to her office and told her that I needed to go on this trip. Now it’s been a couple months since we got back and I had the most amazing time where I was able to soul search and really think about why I wanted to be a doctor.

I am not the student that has the inspirational story on why I chose to take the path of becoming a doctor. I am a hard worker and believe that if you are healthy and able that it is your duty to help others. Being at the hospital in Ferrol, Spain really gave me the opportunity to talk to patients and observe the team dynamic of surgeons.

I am bilingual and I encourge any bilingual or minority to go on these trips. I felt accepted and was able to put negative thoughts aside so I can truly experience the life of doctors. There are many differences between Spain and the U.S. Spain isn’t as fast paced as the U.S. but it really lets you to see what people look like when they love their job. First week, I got to shadow surgeons and it was so much better than your typical cadaver lab! You get to see living organs and really appreciate how they work together to keep someone alive. I learned that there are many surgeons that are shy like me. Second week I cried of happiness and sadness working with the pediatrician and talking to children from 14 to 3 years old. Watching newborn babies getting check ups and also comforting scared or sick toddlers gave me a rollercoaster of emotions that I had to keep in check.

I had never left the country before. I haven’t even moved out of my parents house! So this trip gave me the opportunity to be myself; learn how to be aware and also look out for my peers. I didn’t feel in danger. I believe that no matter where you are something bad could happen but I did not experience that. When I got back home I felt like myself only ten times better. It made it easier to ignore some negativity around me because I am pursuing my dream to connect with my community and not have to fear what others think of me.

I am so thankful for this program.

Keep collaborating with professors to take groups.
Delanie

Atlantis in Ponferrada

I had an amazing opportunity to travel to Ponferrada, Spain for my atlantis fellowship for 3 weeks. It was my first time traveling alone and my first time going to Europe. As soon as I landed in Madrid I quickly became close with all the people in my group and we all began our journey to Ponferrada together. The hospital was small and all of the doctors were hands on and even the ones who didn't speak great english made an effort to break the language barrier. I was given some incredible opportunities to watch surgeries unclose in the OR, seeing 7 surgeries in 3 days. The group excursions on Friday's were so much fun and gave us time to explore little parts of Spain and I was able to travel every weekend to places like Portugal and the northern coast of Spain. By the end of my fellowship my confidence of Spain and traveling had grown and I ended my trip in Barcelona for a few days by myself.

Mia

Madrid Summer 2018 Program

Overall my experience with the Atlantis Project was truly life changing. The four weeks I spent in Madrid flew by much faster than I anticipated, and I was able to make friends that I know will continue to support me for the rest of my life. Being in a different country is very intimidating, but all of the Atlantis staff and all the hospital staff were extremely friendly and supportive. The doctors I shadowed were excellent teachers, and they would teach me little bits about Spain's culture and lifestyle, in addition to teaching me about medicine within the hospital.

I definitely left this program feeling much more confident in moving forward with my journey to medical school, and I truly feel like I have more of a direction with my career choices. This program taught me so much about what lies outside of the US, and I could probably talk about my experience program for hours if it came up in a medical school interview. Overall this was truly a life changing program and I highly recommend it to all students pursuing something in the medical field.

Overall the program was great! I do wish that the tours we had were a little more in depth, and that we had fewer group meals. Other than that, no other comments!
Alyssa

Medicine and Memories

Wow was this trip amazing! I spent 4 weeks in the prettiest little city on the coast of Spain, shadowing at a hospital which grew my medical knowledge massively. In those few short weeks I learned about public healthcare, gained insight on doctor-patient relationships, and furthered my confidence in the medical career path. Not only that, but I gained a best friend, loads of memories from traveling to Barcelona and Madrid, and a perspective on a culture unlike that here in the states. And of course, the food was out of this world! I got to explore my passions for medicine and travel, as well as culture, architecture, and adventure. My group had a hike through a gorgeous nature park, a tour of the coast of Ferrol, as well as a visit to Santiago de Compostela.
Would recommend this to any Pre-medical professionals who love traveling!

Karla Rica

Great Experience!

My personal experience with Atlantis is easily one of the best experiences in my life. It allowed me to grow and become more knowledgeable of the medical field. It allowed me to see first hand the day to day life of a doctor/surgeon in the hospital. And it allowed me to build professional relationships that I will always treasure. The doctors I encountered were so generous with their time and knowledge. They were eager to teach and show me cool and new things that I hadn't before. I was able to watch surgeries, endoscopies, and experience rotations and clinicals from the perspective of a doctor. Overall Atlantis helped motivate me to continue to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. I'm excited to continue my studies and strive to be successful. When i'm feeling unmotivated, I will definitely look back on this experience to help motivate me to continue to strive. When i'm applying to medical school, this experience will definitely be one of the highlights in my journey.

Create a better dialogue between Atlantis and the doctors.

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners across...